☕ 夜カフェ ☕ (Offshoot Book Club) Home Thread (Starting Book 5 from July 1st)

I don’t feel strongly either way - I only got one page in and am trying to keep up with other clubs. We could always split chapter 1 over 2 weeks but start the discussion now, just to get a bit of momentum going.

1 Like

Thanks for commenting! :slightly_smiling_face:

Right now it seems like we’re down to about 3 active readers. And I don’t think we feel strongly about either option. I think this is what we’ll do.

Anyone can post in the discussion thread for volume 3, chapter 1. And then we’ll just extend the read date so next week will just be an additional week to finish chapter 1. That means we’ll officially open up to chapter 2 discussion on December 18.

I just ask that if anyone wants to discuss chapter 1 now to keep their posts under a Hide Details and big spoilers under a spoiler tag. I think we’ll do volume dedicated discussion threads this time around, so labeling would be helpful too. For example,

Chapter 1 Thoughts

I really love this chapter because spoiler.

4 Likes

Sounds great! And makes me officially behind in only one club.

4 Likes

Just a reminder that we’ll continue with volume 3, chapter 1 discussion this week and start chapter 2 discussion next week.

*I made a mistake on the date. Since December 18 is a Sunday, the start date is actually the 17th to be consistent with our current reading schedule.

3 Likes

The volume 3, chapter 1 discussion thread is now officially a discussion thread for the whole of volume 3. We’ll start discussing chapter 2 from this week!

3 Likes

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Hope you all find some time to relax during the holiday season!

Discussion for volume 3, chapter 3 continues from here!

3 Likes

Happy New Year! Hope this year brings much needed kindness to us all!

Sorry for the lateness, but feel free to continue discussion up to chapter 4 from here!

4 Likes

How are you all doing? We’re starting chapter 5 (volume 3) from today. After this week’s reading, we’ll be halfway done with this volume!

3 Likes

We have another 16-page reading for chapter 6 this week. Feel free to start discussing!

4 Likes

This week’s reading is a little longer at 22 pages but I know you can do it. :wink:

Chapter 7 discussion starts from here!

4 Likes

Hey guys, after this week, we have 2 weeks left so that’s 2 chapters plus the あとがき. I think I’ll start posting a poll asking about interest for volume 4 and/or if a break is needed or not.

Until then, discussion for chapter 8 can start from here~

2 Likes

And now Chapter 9 is a go!

As mentioned last week, here’s a poll on volume 4 interest. We have 3 active readers currently, so if you’re reading at a different pace but would like to read with the group and could use the break time to catch up, please vote! :slightly_smiling_face:

Are you interested in reading volume 4 with the group?
  • Yes, I plan to
  • Maybe, haven’t decided yet
  • No, I’m dropping the series
  • No, I’ll read at my own pace
  • New idea (please comment)
0 voters
When do you want to start reading volume 4?
  • Immediately (start Feb 18)
  • 1 week later (start Feb 25)
  • 2 weeks later (start March 4)
  • 3 weeks later (start March 11)
  • 1 month later (start March 18)
0 voters

I’m not sure about continuing. The series isn’t grabbing me though I do think it’s reasonable language practice, and there are bits I enjoy. Also, when it was on sale ages back I bought several volumes which pushes me towards still reading.

3 Likes

I bought 2, 3, and 4 at the same time, so I have the next volume and I figure I may as well read it, but it’s possible I may end up dropping it, we’ll see. I won’t be continuing past that though. Which I’m disappointed about, because I did actually like the first book

3 Likes

I just checked and I have volume 5 too!

I’ll probably read volume 4. I wouldn’t mind at least 1 week’s break though.

2 Likes

Welcome to the last week of volume 3! Anything from the book is safe to discuss (with spoiler warnings of course).

I don’t mind a break if anyone could use it before starting volume 4. Is everyone okay with a 2 week break, or would a one-week break be better?

2 Likes

2 week break ok for me - I’ve caught up, so could manage without, but I’m behind on several other clubs.

3 Likes

I’m fine with 2 weeks too

1 Like

It sounds like it’s unanimously agreed that starting 2 weeks later works for everyone currently reading. Hopefully it helps those trying to catch up as well!

So we’ll start volume 4 on March 4th.

I’ve added a temporary schedule for volume 4 just above volume 3’s schedule. We’re looking at 12 chapters with the highest page count being chapter 12 at 18 pages plus 5 extra pages. It looks like 14-15 pages is the normal length for most chapters. If we continue at a pace of 1 week per chapter, we’ll finish by May 20.

Now for more polls!

Do you want to continue to read at 1 chapter per week?
  • Yes, that’s fine
  • Let’s go slower (please comment your preference)
  • Let’s go faster (please comment your preference)

0 voters

Do we need a break halfway?
  • Yes, a week break halfway
  • No
  • Let’s check in again a few weeks into reading

0 voters

How do you want to organize the next discussion thread?
  • Same as before (all discussion for vol 4 in one thread)
  • New discussion threads per chapter

0 voters

Welcome back to volume 4! The volume 4 discussion thread is up, and we can officially start discussing chapter 1 from today.

2 Likes