Week 6 25 March 2023
Chapter 12 and 13
End page 112
Page count 22
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

5 Likes

Najimi was great again in chapter 12. Looking forward to starting chapter 13 in the next few days.

Question - p96

Does anyone have this panel in a higher quality? The hiragana is fine, but I’m having a readlly hard time making out the kanji/furigana since its so blurry

5 Likes

Resolution, please

8 Likes

I don’t think there is, but here’s a transcribed version:

は?なにかんがえてるの
只野ただのくん?アンタなんかが
古見様こみさまのお食事しょくじ参加さんか
していいわけないでしょ?
古見様こみさまのお食事しょくじ
不可侵ふかしんなの。アンタ
みたいな凡人ぼんじん視界しかい
はいることすら本来ほんらいなら
ゆるされないのよブツブツ

8 Likes

Thank you, that definitely helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, so apparently this week these are the slightly modified pop culture references:

スタベ → Starbucks
トゥイッター → Twitter

Thoughts

I absolutely love the kind of humour this series has. The faces Komi does are probably my favourite part of the whole thing. This is my favourite part from this week:

I don’t remember when the more romantic aspects started to show in the anime, though I do remember, that it wasn’t very focused on those. Curious to see how the manga compares.

7 Likes

I had a bit of trouble with the スタべ the first time it came up, but surely that’s because Najimi’s insanely complicated order didn’t help. Katakana is such a pain for me

5 Likes

It gets better, katakana makes up more and more of Japanese after all :joy:

7 Likes

This chapter was hilarious! The Katakana caught me off-guard though! :rofl:
I’m finally caught up! Excited to read the next chapter with the book club soon! :grinning:

10 Likes

I’m a little late to this party…
I could follow most of it, but I had one question:

は vs で - p111

In the last frame, I get that they’re apologizing, but how does the meaning change with で? I was expecting は.
このあと 2人 めちゃくちゃ あやまった
このあと 2人 めちゃくちゃ あやまった

3 Likes

My understanding of 一人(ひとり)で is that it means “by oneself”, so I would suspect that 二人(ふたり)で might mean something is being done by both of two people.

Here are some examples of this usage of 「◯人で」.

(Ignore that there are three people here. The girl in the back is a ghost, so the speaker cannot see her.)

6 Likes

First, thanks for the explanation and examples! This is great!
So で is kinda marking 「◯人で」 as a single unit. (I think I actually heard that meaning before but I forgot.) So in this case, it’s saying that the two of them are apologizing together as a unit (as opposed to each one separately). :+1::+1:

Second, how did you find so many manga examples??

Found it…

4 Likes

Ah yes, that does look like it:

I’ve looked up the grammar behind many things in Japanese as I learned, but this is one of those where I intuitively figured out the meaning by repeated exposure. The side-effect is I don’t have a solid explanation to give or idea of where to find explanatory material, so I’m glad you were able to locate something.

I buy digitally, use Mokuro for decent OCR, and have written scripts that work with Mokuro’s output. This makes it easy for me to search text across all the manga I’ve bought.

6 Likes