Week 3 4 March 2023
Chapter 6 and 7
End page 55
Page count 20
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

6 Likes

This was definitely a fun week. by the time I finished translating the blackboard panel, I’d completely forgotten about the fact that this has furigana

Also, this is just pure gold:

12 Likes

I’ve been enjoying the story so far :slight_smile: read ahead this week as I’m in vacation for a few days and was worried I would end up behind otherwise. I’ll update the vocab list later with my notes (I think I had a question or two too, but I have to double check my notes…)

8 Likes

I love how you can tell the difference in handwriting between Komi and Tadano. Komi’s handwriting is to die for :drooling_face:

7 Likes

for those interested (or curious!) in read-aloud sessions, they are now being set up!!
:star2:come join the discord (Japanese Book Club) and we’ll get one going by this upcoming sunday :star2:

time availability for sunday, 3/12

• 2023-03-12T05:00:00Z2023-03-12T07:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-12T07:00:00Z2023-03-12T10:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-12T10:00:00Z2023-03-12T13:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-12T13:00:00Z2023-03-12T16:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-12T16:00:00Z2023-03-12T19:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-12T19:00:00Z2023-03-12T22:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-12T22:00:00Z2023-03-13T01:00:00Z
  • 2023-03-13T01:00:00Z2023-03-13T04:00:00Z

0 voters

4 Likes

I’m having a lot of fun with this series! I may or may not have binged half the volume immediately after last week, oops.

Glad to see we finally know that the school’s name is a play on 異端者.

9 Likes

It is taking every ounce of self-control I have not to do the same :grin: Kind of debating getting the whole set now cause I can see myself reading much more of this!

7 Likes

I’ve also read about half of volume one already, partly because it was something easy for me to read on days I didn’t feel like tackling harder things. I’m glad I have volume 2 and 3 too. And if it keeps being this fun, I can see myself picking up more.

8 Likes

Cute chapters; glad people are enjoying the series so far!

aha! yeah (like AAABatteries already mentioned) there’s our answer for whether the school name is a pun or not :laughing:

奇人 is a fun word… probably won’t get to use it much in polite conversation, but still :laughing:

7 Likes

Maybe pages 42-43 need to be a whole week’s reading all on their very own… :stuck_out_tongue:

Page 49, title drop like an anvil.

6 Likes

Tadano and Komi are both such good characters and their interactions together are so wholesome!! Also, the art style is just too cute :smiling_face:

question for p. 50

It says 筆記試験も体面上実施 in parantheses after explaining that only oral examinations will be held (I assume) in this school.

At first I was quite thrown off when the っ looked so big. So something about written exams being carried out as well? 筆記試験 is written exam and 実施 is carrying out. But what does 体面上 mean then? I found the definition for 体面 as dignity or reputation but it doesn’t make a lot of sense…

5 Likes
answer for p50

I believe the correct breakdown is
筆記試験 も 体 面上 実施
筆記試験 written exam
も as well
体 body (prolly connects to the next word)
面上 face to face
実施 implement
Which I took to mean that “even written exams are held face to face”

Phryne’s answer makes way more sense

3 Likes

I think it might be one set phrase. So they do written exams too, but no one really cares about those results, they just do them to look like they’re judging the students based on academic merit (which they really aren’t). So I think it’s 体面 (reputation) + meaning number 1 of 上(じょう)used as a suffix.

8 Likes

EDIT: I googled some more and found the manga page and someone asking about the exact same thing:

So Phryne was right :smiley:

Is this the correct kanji?
Normally you’d say 対面. Like, 対面授業, etc.
I also don’t get many hits on Google for 体面上.
And yes, it should mean doing the written exam “in person”, “face to face”. In contrast to online lessons/exams, like during the pandemic.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Well, it’s like this in the manga. If the author didn’t get it wrong then yes.
They both seem to be words though…

Yeah, Phryne answered it in a pretty plausible manner!

3 Likes

Okay, it also gets clearer from context if you look at the whole speech bubble: 試験方法は面接のみ, but → 体面上 they do a written exam.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the detailed explanation on page 50 (I had quite a hard time with this one… but its clear now!). I was also confused about the name of the school, but fortunately @AAABatteries mentioned the word play earlier and now it makes sense to me.

I had 2 other small questions:

Page 37

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 14.57.52
I don’t really understand what he is asking Komi here

Page 41

I also don’t really understand what he is telling her here…

6 Likes
page 37

I’m pretty sure he’s asking “did you do something (bad) to me?”
The っけ indicates, that he’s trying to remember.

page 41

I think he’s saying “Say (write) at least a few words”
せめて - at the very least
もう - I think in this case it’s “further”, “another”
一言 - “one word”, “a few words”

7 Likes

During week one and two I was finding the story ok, but I wasn’t totally sold on it. And I was secretly a bit relieved about that because I really do need to cut down on the amount of offshoot bookclubs I’m joining.

…But Chapter 6 has totally changed my mind, that double page spread of their blackboard conversation was just lovely.

So I guess if there is an offshoot for this club I’m going to be joining. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes