人間失格 (Advanced Book Club)

There has been some discussion in the Week 3 thread which I think would make sense to move to the home thread because not everybody might be reading the week 3 thread yet, and because it might affect the whole book club moving forward.

I’m somewhat relieved to hear that my initial instinct was not that bad after all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(I had the same learning when we read 雪国 …)

We haven’t heard back from most of the others, but I’d always be in favor of lowering the pace somewhat :sweat_smile:

The question would be how we could do that in a reasonable way. I’d very much like to end a week’s reading on the end of a chapter or sub-chapter as we only have so few of them. Looking at that, what are our options?

Chapter Week(s) Pages Future plan?
2 (rest) 4 + 5 18 + 16 = 34 stick with this?? Or 8 + 13 + 13?
3.1 6 + 7 22 + 17 = 39 3 weeks of 13 pages each?
3.2 + 後書き 8 + 9 21 + 18 = 39 3 weeks of 13 pages each?
(shortening the new week 4 is meant to be a compensation for week 3’s long reading).

This feels quite long indeed as it would introduce 3 more weeks, so there might be a better solution?

Another alternative would of course be to go across chapter boundaries in one week, which would allow for a somewhat better overall balance.

I would like to check back with everybody: how are you currently faring with this book and what do you think of changing the schedule?

How are you faring currently?
  • I have finished week 3
  • I have started but not yet finished week 3, and I am planning to finish it
  • I have not yet started week 3 and I am planning to read it
  • I have decided to drop the book
0 voters
How would you like to proceed from here?
  • Stick with the original 9-week schedule
  • Add 1 week (uniform length, crossing chapter boundaries)
  • Add 1 week (by adding 1 week in chapter 3.1)
  • Add 2 weeks (uniform length, crossing chapter boundaries)
  • Add 2 weeks (by adding 1 week each in chapter 3.1 and 3.2)
  • Add 3 weeks (by adding 1 week per (sub-)chapter)
  • Something else entirely (please explain)
0 voters

(the “by adding 1 week” options would be like laid out in the table above, for the chapters concerned)

I will post this week’s thread anyway, but depending on the poll outcome I will adapt the end of this week’s reading later.

5 Likes