Week 3 July 24th Chapters 21-22
2 Likes

Week 1 - Chapter 18

Start Date: July 10th
Previous Week: Volume 3 Week 6 - Chapter 17
Next: Week 2 - Chapters 19-20
Home Thread: Link

Participation Status Poll
If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

So Mogumo’s younger sister seems to have a lot of built up resentment towards Mogumo. She seems to be the main drama point for this volume. Also for some reason I imagined it being a lot longer ago that Mogumo moved out.

1 Like

My current hypothesis is that Mogumo ran away from home (or at least moved out) because they weren’t being accepted for who they are, and Sakura is somehow bearing the brunt of it. Mogumo seems very concerned about their family finding out about their work so I wonder if we’re going to meet the parents soon…

Same here!

2 Likes

That is my current hypothesis as well.
And I think this chapter proofs that Sakura is the next person in the queue to be redeemed/saved.
But Mogumo is still receiving money (and I’m not convinced minors can rent apartments on their own, either) so there is still some element of support from… some adult? I think Sakura said money comes from their dad.

I was really interested in the part about haircuts swap. I wonder if it was done 100% unconsciously?

Also had a problem with page 12… whole page, actually.

About おばさん and about who is 世話’ing who and why Sakura looks so dismayed.

2 Likes
my take

I think an おばさん from Kotone’s house (so like, Kotone’s mom - she saw Mogumo over there in volume 3 it looks like) stopped by the Mogumo family house and saw Sakura, and told her that our Mogumo (via their dead – or at least not so much used anymore – name) had been over at Kotone’s.
Sakura asks based on that if Kotone was taking care of our Mogumo - I think in the sense of like, if Mogumo’s been relying on Kotone since they’ve been living alone.

I think Mogumo + Kotone’s somewhat flustered sounding response is probably because of the complicated, gender/sexuality laden happenings documented in the last volume or so (it’s not like you can summarize that as just “Kotone took care of Mogumo” or vice versa), and I think Kotone says something like “I have no problem doing that, but…!”

… and I think Sakura takes that faltering as like, faltering because Mogumo’s been a serious burden to Kotone in some way, and that’s the dismayed look you were talking about.

Kinda like, “they haven’t been a burden on you, have they?” → “what! Oh, nothing like that!! I mean I’m happy to do it but” → “what?? that makes it sound like they’ve been a pretty big burden!”

Does that help?

3 Likes

Yes, thank you! :heartbeat:

1 Like

Week 2 - Chapters 19-20

Start Date: July 17th
Previous Week: Week 1 - Chapter 18
Next: Week 3 - Chapters 21-22

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

• I’m reading along
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like

Mogumo’s family situation seems to be a lot worse than I thought :no_mouth: I’m really curious to see what’s going on with their mum…

Also, I really liked Tetsu and Mogumo’s conversation about trying to let go of being like Sakura.

4 Likes

My favorite this time were Sakura’s upset eyes

2 Likes

We’ll have to decide on the last volume’s schedule soon. @lucylavelle how are you managing so far? And what are everyone else’s thoughts about the speed?

I’ve managed to keep up this week!
Two chapters a week is definitely challenging for me, but if people want to carry on with two chapters, I think I can make it work. :slight_smile:

One question for everyone though - is anybody else still using the vocab list? Because if it’s just me then I may as well stop filling it in, which might help me speed up slightly!

2 Likes

Week 3 - Chapters 21-22

Start Date: July 24th
Previous Week: Week 2 - Chapters 19-20
Next: Volume 5

• I’m reading along
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like

Last Volume Schedule Questions

Break?
  • No break
  • Break

0 voters

Speed?
  • No changes, 2 chapters/week
  • I want changes (please comment)

0 voters

Vocab sheet?
  • I don’t use it anymore
  • It’s still useful for me

0 voters

Except for the small reprive when they went to the cloth shop, this was certainly a heartbreaking read. You can see that Sakura’s actions aren’t born out of malice, but more out of being completly overwhelmed by the situation. She doesn’t seem to have anyone to talk to, so I hope the scene at the end of the chapter will be the catalyst for Mogumo and Sakura to talk and carry that into the rest of the family.

Also the father is really hard not to hate.

I can’t wait for last volume!

3 Likes

Sakura is much easier character for me to understand (and relatable even, in certain areas) than Kotone. I know that Kotone is also a realistic character, but I guess her arc really didn’t click with me :wink:
Also, some tension of the dramatic end of the volume was taken away by the atogaki :upside_down_face:

And maybe it’s because of @rodan’s warning after the 1st volume, when my imagination ran apparently too wildly, but I somehow expected even worse. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s definitely a lot less intense as the ending of one volume compared to the (temporary) ending of the series :sweat_smile: I think lingering on that ending for so long let my own imagination run wild too, while as it turns out …

…it gets softened hilariously quickly.

1 Like

This volume felt much more intense than the others to me, there’s soo much going on with Mogumo’s family…let’s see how much of that gets resolved in the last volume

5 Likes

Well that escalated quickly! Poor Sakura, what a lot of pressure she is under with no support :confused: I hope things improve for her in the next volume.

1 Like