三ツ星カラーズ — Week 9 Discussion (ABBC)

三ツ星カラーズ Week 9: Pages 63–70

Start Date: 8th of January

Home Thread: Link
Last Week: Link
Next Week: Link

Page Numbers Guide

Due to a general lack of page numbers, it can be difficult to know which page you’re asking a question on. You can use the thumbnails below to see at a glance which page number each is.

Thumbnails with page numbers for this week's reading. (Spoiler warning!)

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

Vital Information

What’s the best way to enjoy natto?

• Eat it for breakfast.
  • Use it to purify water.
  • Place it into a bento and take a bus ride with it.

0 voters

:bug: or :deer: ?

• :bug:
  • :deer:

0 voters

7 Likes

Locations! The 池 is Shinobazu-no-Ike. In particular, on pages 68-70, they’re standing here.

So, I’m guessing that endurance shiritori relaxes the usual rule on repeating already-used words?

10 Likes

Huh, it looked much more idyllic in the manga. What’s that white stuff at the water’s edge? At first I thought it was ice, but the picture was taken in April apparently. Google informs me that the pond is good for birdwatching, but I only see huge pink swans - a rare breed, admittedly.

Only slightly :rofl:

カメムシ!

7 Likes

They say the water is green, though. In any case, how does the real-world location look not-so-idyllic?

Do “April” and “Ueno Park” make any connections for you?

It’s probably sakura petals, is what I’m saying.

8 Likes

Looking at the relevant panel again, they’re basically the same. Subsequent panels where they’re sitting further in gave me the impression of a greener and shadier place. I’m sure it’s just a matter of what season it is.

Good point. I did wonder whether there might be sakura to be seen given it’s April - but I was looking at the trees, it didn’t cross my mind to look in the water. Too bad the photo wasn’t taken a few days before. Because of the talk of pollution, the white stuff reminded me of some kind of toxic foam, but it can very well be sakura petals.

8 Likes

Hmm. I have found where they’re sitting later on (though I can’t find that faucet anywhere) and it does look to be a bit leafier than where they are in this half. It’s further widdershins around the lake.

9 Likes

A lovely virtual walk after all - and we get to see sakura too.
“Widdershins” is my new favourite word. How come I hadn’t heard of it till now?

9 Likes

Page xxx, Panel xxx, Character: Belthazar

widdershins

なんですか!

Vocab sheet needed :wink:

8 Likes

Page 63, Panel 3, Character: Mum

また斎藤くんにイタズラでもすんの

Not sure about the ending, すんの
Have interpreted as something する’y which near prank would be better as play a prank, than do a prank.

‘Also play a prank on saito-kun again’

9 Likes

すんの is, like you correctly inferred, just a contracted するの. R-sounds tend to blend with n-sounds in casual speech. So basically the mother is asking casually whether they wanted the natto to play a prank on Saito again. Interesting that she’s perfectly okay with the girls constantly pestering a policeman, I’d say…

here you go:

:grin:
widdershins

11 Likes

I think I actually got the gist of what people were saying this week. However, I feel like I am missing something when さっちゃん gets the natto all over her face. Is it just that it is so sticky it comes flying out of the package on her? Is that a thing that can happen when you eat natto? Unless there is something I am completely missing I don’t feel like anyone really says what happened.

8 Likes
Natto and Satchan explanation

きれい means both clean and pretty. They were talking about how natto is supposed to make water clean, then Satchan intentionally rubs the natto on her face and asks Nonoka whether she’s pretty now. It’s all based on a silly pun basicallly.

13 Likes

Thanks @ChristopherFritz for the link to purifying water with natto, that helped this chapter make much more sense than the first time I read it before reading this post!

Just one small question, on page 66 first panel has 先にしんどくなった方が負け.
I’ve looked it up on DeepL that translated it as The first one to get tired loses. This makes sense based on context, but I’m not sure of 方が負け. Is this a set phrase? I understand it as “direction loses” but that feels wrong?

7 Likes

ive read ahead and finished the novel. that was about a week ago idk why i didnt post this earlier but whatever. i got the second volume so im reading that one now. i like the series im glad i joined this

6 Likes

In this context, 方 would be “side (of an argument, etc)”.

11 Likes

Wow, thanks for the little preliminary lesson on natto purifying water; I had no idea. I’ve actually been eating it for breakfast recently – took a few tries but I kinda like it now. Hoping it’s as healthy as people say. Nice chill little half chapter; they’re not even terrorizing anyone… yet.

9 Likes

Oh my gosh I’ve actually caught up! :sob:
I got stuck way back on page 25 and in about a week and a half I’ve caught up to the thread. Bless it.
(it really helps that this chapter has so much less vocabulary)

I’ve been reading through each weeks thread as I go along and everyone asking questions has been extremely helpful for me to get through the chapters so thank you!

12 Likes

The chapter concludes in Week 10:

4 Likes
For anyone who was actually looking forward to something like this, I thought to add it as an option since it actually came up in another comic I had read recently.

i-0075x

6 Likes

Could you maybe elaborate a bit on that? I’m also not sure what this phrase actually means… I too consulted deepl after i completly failed to recognize what the meaning is, but even now I’m not sure:

先に first (as in ahead of)
しんどくなった became tiresome
方が side of an argument
負け looses

So: Whoever became (why is past used here?) tired before the others, looses the side of an argument.

I think Sacchan is refering to the game she played with kotoba on the previous page (so basically whoever first gives up the pointless ping-ponging of シカ and カメムシ looses?). Does that mean that one of them already lost? (Because past tense?) Or is she setting the rules for the game about to begin? If yes: why past tense?

Thanks!

3 Likes