一週間フレンズ | Week 7 Discussion

Week 7 Discussion | Pages 100 - 114

Chapter 2: 友達との休日

Start Date: 21st September
Last Week: Chapter 2 Part 1
Next Week: Chapter 3 Part 1

一週間フレンズ Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 2 this week!

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

sigh I can’t decipher these bunch of squashed ants 落書き. Can someone please help me? (Page 101)

My best guess is 交房具 but can’t seem to find any words that have those kanji

EDIT: Oh darn, it is 文房具 facepaws

6 Likes

Hase and Fujimiya are just so adorable! :heart_eyes:

I did laugh on p102 when Fujimiya suggests that Hase is the one with the memory problems :joy:
I wonder if this manga is just an incredibly sneaky way to teach maths… :thinking: because I get the feeling maybe the application of maths facts to memory is going to continue…!

5 Likes

Page 103: Hase is forgetful - the reason Fujimiya never wrote about the crepe shop in her diary is because she brought it up before he ever suggested the diary.

On page 103, Hase-kun says 「まあ細かいことも全部書ききるのは難しいしね」

What I learned from reading this today (all from the bottom-left panel):

• 細かいこと can be considered an expression, meaning “minor details”.
  • 書ききる is a combination of 書く and 切る. From what I’ve read here and there, it seems that appending 切る to a verb stem gives the meaning of completing the verb, with the nuance being on the result (it’s complete and done with) rather than the task (effort exerted to complete it). In this case, the nuance is on everything being written down, like “It’d be difficult to get everything written down.” (result) vs “It’d be difficult to write everything down.” (task)
  • It’s possible to write こ to look like a cross between ン and ソ. Please write side-comments a little more clearly for us learners, 葉月(はづき)抹茶(まっちゃ). It’s not that I can’t figure it out based on the kanji before and hiragana after, but there was definitely a moment of confusion.
3 Likes