レンタルおにいちゃん - Week 2 Discussion (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

レンタルおにいちゃん Week Two: Pages 13-22

Start Date: 15th August

Last Week: Week 1
Next Week: Week 3
Home Thread: Link

Vocabulary List

Created by @ChristopherFritz. Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

*Created by @nfive. Contains list of grammar points for the week with links to Bunpro explanations.

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

13 Likes

This chapter is getting more and more interesting and sad.
This week goes until page 25, right? Home thread says 22, but Wocab list is until 25 and there are some pages without text.

I see that they use でしまう or ちゃう grammar point a lot, but I am not sure about something that looks similar:
しちゃやだ on page 21, upper panel
Please, if you have any guesses help me!

6 Likes

This week goes to page 22. We read pages 23-32 next week to finish chapter one.

5 Likes

Apologies, that was my mistake, I was adding vocab as I read and mixed my page numbers up. Once I sorted them out I forgot to transfer the vocab to the correct tab before I went to bed.

That should be it fixed now

7 Likes

Yes! I had the same question about the しちゃやだ usage.

1 Like

So パパとママ are dead, right? I guess the reason I ask is Kanami says 帰ってきてよ but she knows they can’t come back, right?

4 Likes

Page 20

Must be, she’s speaking to them whilst kneeling at the Butsudan, the family home (Buddhist) altar.

Page 21

Sometimes when you’re in the shops, you’ll hear kids throwing a tantrum, shouting やだ! やだ! No way, I don’t want it!

I think what she is saying here is “I don’t like, I don’t want … the fact that you left me alone

The ~しちゃ ending might be ~したら, ie, “I don’t like/want it when/if you leave me alone”. But I’m not at all sure.

I find all this blurring a pain in the neck. Can we not accept that anything in this week’s chapter is okay to discuss without blurring? Or is that only me?

8 Likes

Nice catch on the やだ! Almost certainly something like してはいや

4 Likes

As to me we could stop the blurring. I always click it to unblur :grinning:

4 Likes

Anyone who’s reading manga for the first time might not be familiar with this ちゃう/ちゃった form which is already coming up a lot. One of the reasons we kick off at a slow pace is because there may be some new things that come up a lot that people need to get their heads round in the first few weeks.

So if you have 20 minutes to spare, I would recommend this video which will help you get a better understanding of てしまう/ちゃう.

17 Likes

Page 21, top panel:
I had some trouble with なんでおいていっちゃうおの. Based on previous posts related to ~ちゃうお, I think maybe it means something like “why was I (accidentally) left (completely) behind?” Is おいていっちゃうお all one verb?

Thanks for your help.

5 Likes

Thank you! Definitely will watch!

1 Like

I think you’ve slightly mistyped. It is なんでおいていっちゃうの。

Which I believe is as follows:

おく here means “to leave (behind)”
おいて is the て-form of the verb
おいている - is the present continuative form “leaving behind” (Edit - the て-form of いる is いて not いって - good spot @kousei22!)
おいていく - is an expression which means “to leave behind” (using 行く)
おいていって - turns this verb combination into its て-form
おいていってしまう - The ~てしまう form adds an element of regret to the statement (see video above) - “regrettably leaving behind”
おいていっちゃう - てしまう can be contracted to ちゃう. It still means the same thing.

Putting it all together:
なんで - why
おいていっちゃう - regrettably leaving behind
の - at sentence end can be used to indicate a question

Literally: “Why (regrettably) leaving behind?”

In context I took this to mean: “Why did you leave me behind?”

32 Likes

Thank you for the very complete explanation. That was a tough one.

5 Likes

I’m not entirely sure how to interpret the 着信 on page 21, which is translated as “incoming” in the vocab list. I can tell from the visuals that big brother got a mail from Kanami, but I’d like to understand why this word was used.

Was the mail incoming at that very moment and big brother was reacting to it, as it was happening?
Or is it perhaps a synonym for all incoming mail, and big brother noticed that his phone has a notification about a mail which might have arrived some time earlier?

3 Likes

The “incoming” refers to receiving notifications, mail, phone calls, and so on. From Jisho:

So in this case it means that he notices he’s got a message in his phone. (I assume, since I don’t see any sound effects that might imply that the phone is ringing).

6 Likes

This is correct. Although she says that line, it’s a desire, rather than a possibility.

There are two reasons to blur something:

1. If it’s a story spoiler. This is more impactful when a week’s reading is, say, a whole 40-page chapter, but I think it’s still worth being careful for story event spoilers for something much shorter.

2. If it’s a translation. Seeing an English translation before working out the Japanese can be a useful crutch (I’m using it 50% of the time for the Kiki re-read book club), but for an Absolute Beginner Book Club, I don’t see it as being so necessary to blur.

Considering the small amount of material covered in a week, I don’t mind either way, but if even a large minority of readers prefer story spoilers be hidden, I’d side with that.

The good news is, you get used to it after seeing similar conglomerations of verbs a few hundred times =D

5 Likes

Yep, that’s fair enough! I’ll go with that! (And we missed you at the Yotsuba reading today! :cry:)

Page 17

I am having trouble with 叶実と一緒に
I can’t find information on 叶実 only the kanjis separately.
How would you translate it?

2 Likes

叶実 is the girl’s name. If something doesn’t make sense, you can try a names search on jisho by selecting “names” from the list.

PS - apologies @_Marcus - I didn’t realise we were both replying at the same time :upside_down_face:

8 Likes