ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 2

Week 2 Feb 25 2023
Pages 18-26
Chapter 1
Previous week Week 1
Next week Week 3
Home Thread ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon
Last frame of of this week's part (page 26)

Kindle_2023-02-28 02.58.55.602

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

015d8981-0c63-4bb7-bf2f-c7edd9a8fe30

Vocabulary Sheet

The base for this vocab sheet was prepared using a fair amount of OCR/parsing, automated by @ChristopherFritz.

Some notes for using/improving it:

• Pages are physical page numbers (they are printed on some pages). Ebook reader pages might be off by a bit.
  • Some words might have been recognized or parsed incorrectly, e.g. they are split even though they belong together, or they are simply wrong and aren’t even in the manga. Feel free to correct/remove those if you see them!
  • Words might be missing. Feel free to add them!
  • By default, translations in grey are auto-filled with a list of possible meanings (from a Wiktionary database). If you know what the actual specific meaning in this context is, feel free to fill it in! (It’ll turn black then.)

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

The page numbers for ebook readers might be off by one or two. Some pages have physical page numbers on them, and you can use that to find out much off it is for you!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished

0 voters

For our new readers: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option

0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

FAQ

You can find some general advice, useful resources for reading and the FAQ here.

Voice-over Video

If you want to also listen to Ruri’s adventures - there’s an official voice-over video!

This week’s part: 2:26 - 5:37

12 Likes

Reserved post. Potentially to be turned into a wiki, as mentioned in the last thread? Let’s talk about this.

4 Likes

Not sure I understand, what does this mean?

4 Likes

Posts can be turned into a community wiki where everybody can contribute. In the last thread, a few people have mentioned that there they’d like to have a post as a wiki to list/summarize answers or something similar: ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 1 - #59 by MrGeneric

I’m really not sure how good of an idea this actually is (personally I think it’s a lot of work and the search function is both much better and results in a more complete overview), but unfortunately I had no time to talk about this in the last thread - and I figured it would be better to have a post that could be turned into a wiki if it turns out we might need it. If not, I can just delete it.

Another option is to have a grammar sheet, or nothing of that sort at all.

I’ll properly address this later.

6 Likes

Saw the thread was up and never rushed as quickly to bookwalker to get reading before, had been waiting for what felt like forever :stuck_out_tongue:

Another great little chapter, love how everyone is just so chill and accepting up to now :joy_cat:

Favourite panel this week :

The casual annoyance of swatting away ユカ’s hands :joy_cat:

7 Likes

I doubt this is the right explanation :sweat_smile: Can someone explain what 触んの means?

6 Likes

Ok, I understood that it was meant to be read with the sentence before it now, lol.
Still, don’t understand the grammer at all. Can someone break that sentence down?

3 Likes

の is simply being used as a sentence ender for emphasis. The kanji means “touch”.

I’m understanding the whole as Why are you touching it that much

4 Likes

Yeah, DeepL translated it like that as well. I just don’t understand the grammer at all, must either be quiet some casual language or I just haven’t come across that grammer structure yet

3 Likes

I’ll try and break it all down, let me know which part you want more elaboration.

Page 24 panel breakdown

何で = Why
そんな = such, like that, etc.
触んの = Touch, with that emphasis I mentioned earlier. You see how Ruri looks a bit annoyed, that is what this emphasis is for. She’s not asking a simple question, rather she wants to express her dislike as well.

8 Likes

Btw, y’all, if you wrap your questions/answers in e.g. [details=“Page 17 question”][/details] and [details=“Page 17 answer”][/details] it’s much easier for people who are interested in the same questions to search and follow the conversation later.

5 Likes

I also prefer the search function, tbh, but I’m not using the threads for asking questions, just answering. :sweat_smile: You also just reminded me I still need to go back and add my answers to the wiki post I created in the previous thread… My memory is so shoddy.

3 Likes

Wooo! I wrote down a lot of questions, but have them poorly organized so I’ll post them as I get time to do so.

Page 20

まあ生えてしまったもンはしょうがないしな

I roughly translated this as “Well, these horns have already grown so there’s nothing I can do huh?”
I’m unclear of the meaning of しまったもンは. Jisho lists しまった as a kind of “darn it” and Ichie.moe lists it as a kana version of 仕舞う. As for もンは, I’m really thrown off. What’s with the katakana ン? Just emphasis?

何だドラゴンって空想上の生物じゃないのか

Translated it as “What the? Mom said dragons aren’t fantasy creatures?”
I interpreted the って as an indication of a quote from Ruri’s Mom? For the 上, I’m not sure what it adds to the sentence. I believe の and か can both be used as question particles, so is there anything special about のか ?

4 Likes

ルリ Week 2 (18 - 26)

Hey everyone. Here’s a transcription of every line from this week’s reading, with my attempt at translating each line accompanying them. Feel free to reply with バカだ or 日本語上手 as you see fit :slight_smile: Today is my cake day however, so be extra kind to me I deserve it

Page 18

学校行くかぁ = 学校行くis “I go to school/I’ll go to school” (basically in context meaning “time go to school”), but I don’t know why か makes an appearance. Could she be asking herself the question: “should I go to school?” ?

牛乳 = Milk :grin:

やばやば = I assume this is along the lines of the term ヤバい, so she’s saying “Oh fuck oh fuck!” on the way out the door

ユカもう来てるかな = Taking もう to be “already”, and かな to be “I wonder if…”, I interpret this sentence as “I wonder if ユカ is coming” (ユカ being a friend of hers)

ト ト ト = Footsteps

Page 19

よっし = I’m almost certain it means “I’m ready!” or “Let’s do it!”

間に合う = 間 is interval, 間に would mean “in the space”, 合う is “to suit”. Is she referring to trying to fit her foot into the shoe. "Let’s put [this foot] into this space! [the shoe]

やっぱ = Just an exclamation, presumably

目立つかなぁ = 目立つ (To stand out), かあぁ (I wonder). “I wonder if [my horns] stand out”

Page 20

まぁ生えて = まぁ is just an exclamation I think, 生えて is “growing”, though I’m not sure why it’s in the て form

しまったもん = Really stumped on this one. しまった seems to mean ‘darn it’. And then もん could mean thing, but then why is the ん a ン instead? :sweat_smile: This one’s a mystery

しょうがないしな = しょうがない seems to be an expression meaning “It can’t be helped”. しな, I don’t know what that is, and I’ve seen it more than once now! :joy:

おっと = An exclamation

カギカギ = Is… this just something japanese people say when locking their door? :sweat_smile:

ドラゴン… = Dragon :slight_smile:

何だドラゴンって = “What is a dragon…” I assume てis here because it’s quoting something her mother said.

空想上の生物じゃないのか = 空想上 means “imaginary”, so 空想上の生物 is “imaginary (living) thing”, or “imaginary being”, じゃない is “not”, and のか might mean that she’s expressing doubt (ie. “…is it not?”). So what she’s saying is something to the effect of “I don’t think it’s imaginary…”. (Given that both じゃない and のか are used, I’m assuming this is all part of the same negative, and not forming a double negative, which would be “I don’t think it isn’t imaginary…”)

父親がドラゴン…? = “Dad’s a dragon?”

じゃあわたしは一体何なんだ = Here’s an example of me knowing all the words, but not knowing what it means as a sentence :joy: じゃあ is “well then…”, わたしは is “I am…”, 一体 is “the heck”, 何 is “what”, and then なんだ also means “what”. Kanshudo tells me that なんだ can also be an auxillary meaning “it is assuredly that”. So altogether, I guess it would mean “Well, as for me, what the hell am I?”.

Page 21

そういや= Apparently そういや means “Come to think of it…”

お母さん最初"龍"っていってたな= “Mom first said ‘dragon’”, いってた is apparently the ‘past progressive’, and な is just being used for confirmation, so I’m taking the entire speech bubble to mean “Come to think of it, Mom said ‘dragon’”. She might mean “Mom said I am a dragon”, or “Mom said the word dragon”. One of these two.

何か違うんだろうか = The second definition for 違うん is “to not be in the usual condition”. 何か means “Something”, "んだろうか” means “right?”, so I take it the full sentence is ルリ saying “something isn’t right…”

確か日本の龍って鯉…?= ‘確か’ is “Surely”, 日本の龍 is “Japanese Dragon”, 鯉 is Koi Fish. Altogether: “Surely (a) Japanese Dragon means (a) Koi (fish)?”. I took って to mean “means” or “is”, in the sense that it’s ‘quoting’ an idea.

考えんのやめよ = I assume it’s something along the lines of “(I need to) stop this thought”. 考え must be thought, whilst やめよ is 止める in kana with the る dropped for よ. Haven’t a clue about んの.

おーいユカ = “Oiiiii, Yuka!”

はあ = The sound of ルリ huffing and puffing.

あ!! = “Ah!”

Page 22

はあっ= Exasperative sigh

おっ= “Oh…”

え何そのツノ= え is “Eh…”, 何その is “What are those”, and ツノ is “Horns”. “Eh, what are those horns?”

おーっ= I can’t tell if it an お or a あ with a dakuten. But I’ve never seen an あ with dakuten, so I’m sceptical if it’d be that.

ギリギリ… = I’m going to go with Yomichan’s 3rd definition here, which is “Only just…”, in the sense that she barely made it.

信号全部青でよかった= 信号, “signal”. 全部, “entire/all”. 青で, “with green”. It’s actually the kanji for blue, but I know that a blue light is actually a green light in japan, and they’re talking about a traffic signal, so I’m going with that. What’s with that actually, a blue light actually being green? よかった, “Was good”. So she’s saying something to the effect of “All the traffic lights were green, thanks God…”. But why does 青 have で attached? “All the traffic lights were ‘with’ green?”. As opposed to
信号全部の青, I don’t know that this is the case.

おおナイス= “Oh Oh, Nice!”

どうしたのソレ= どうしたの, “What’s going on?/What’s wrong?”. ソレ, “there”. Altogether: “What’s going on there?”. I assume this is Yuka referring to Ruri’s horns, I’m a little confused as to the direction of the bubble’s arrow, but this is my best guess.

いやなんか朝起きたらこんななってて=This one I’ve trouble with, but I’ll just post what I can decipher through Yomi and inference. いや, “Oh…”. なんか, “It’s something like…”. 朝起き means “early rising”, but the き could actually just be a part of たら, which means “if/when”. たら could actually be replacing the る in 来る. In any case, 朝起きたら means something to do with “when (something) rose early”, be that Ruri or her horns, I don’t know. こんな, “this sort of”. なって, 成る in the て form I take it, to mean “becoming”, and then the final て I don’t have a clue. So altogether the basic gist is something to the effect of “Oh, these had grown this morning…”, but I’m quite lost here.

うそぉ="No way…"

大丈夫なの?="Is that okay…?", in this context maybe she means it more like “Are you okay?”.

うんまあ="Umm… Well…"

乗ろ乗ろ=Kanshudo tells me that this 乗ろ is 乗る in the short volitional form. So Yuka is saying “Let’s ride, Let’s ride”, in relation to the bus they’re about to board on the following page. Gotta hand it to Kanshudo, they have an enourmous deal of terminology and grammar points.

Page 23

何ソレ本当に生えてんの?=何ソ, “What’s that?”. 本当に, “Seriously”. 生えてんの, someone told online that this is a colloquialised form of 生えてるの, the volitional. But I’m not sure why the volitional would be used in this context. Purely from seeing “seriously” and “grow”, I would translate the sentence as “did they really grow?”, but this is just a guess.

うん="Um…"

なんかわたし人間じゃないらしいよ=なんか, “Something like/things like”. わたし人間じゃない, “I’m not human”. らしい, “It seems”. よ is a strong confirmation particle.
Translation: “Umm, something along the lines of ‘I’m not human’”.

え…?= “Ehh?”

ふう=Exasperated sigh

…ねえ="Ehh", in the way of starting a sentence.

ドラゴンって="Dragon (quoting)".

…本当にいるの?="Seriously are/exist". The whole bubble meaning “Ehh… Do ‘dragons’ really exist?”

え何…?= “Eh, what…?”

いないでしょう="They don’t, right?". Taking it to mean this as いない is いる in the negative form.

あーいや=I think this is just a vocalisation: “Ohhh iyaaa…”

…うん= “Umm…”

だよね="That’s it… right?". だよ, “is”. “ね”.

Page 24

えっ="Ehh…"

もしかしてそのツノの話してる?=もしかして, “Perhaps”. そのツノの話してる?, “These horns talk?”. Translation: “Perhaps these horns talk?”.

ウン="Umm/Uh-huh…"

絶対噓だと=絶対, “Definitely/Absolutely”. 噓だ, “(is) Bullshit”. と, “(expressing “that’s definitely bullshit” as a quote or thought. it’s linked to 思うよね, which is coming up)”.

思うよね=思う, “to think”. よね, “right?”.

わたしも思う="I think too". The entire bubble: “Umm, that’s definitely a bullshit idea, right? I think so too (or, I think it is…)”.

何…ルリドラゴンなの?="何…", What. ルリドラゴン, “Ruri Dragon :)”. なの?, “Right?”. Translation: “What… You’re Ruri Dragon, right?”.

いやわたしというか=いや, I think it means like “Hey, stop it!” in this context. というか, “or perhaps I should say…”.

父親がドラゴンらしくてさ=父親がドラゴン, “(my) Father is (a) Dragon”.らしい means “…like”, or “appearing as”. It’s in the form of くて, and I’ve no idea what that’s about. さ means -ness. This clause would mean “My father is dragon-ish”. The entire bubble translation: “Stop! What I really mean is my Dad is something of a dragon…”

ええ?何それ="Ehh…? What’s that…?"

まあでも="Ahhh, but".

ツノ生えてるもんね…= ツノ生えてる, “Horns are growing”. もん, "(indicates reason or excuse), ね…, “(confirmation particle)”. The whole bubble: “Ahhh, but horns are growing, right?”

そうなんだよねー=This is one big colloquialism meaning “Yes, that’s right…”. As we can see from the picture, she’s being ironic.

ヘーマジで生えてる=ヘー, “Hey…”. マジ, “Seriously”. 生えてる, “(are) growing”. Translation: “Hey, they’re (the horns) are seriously growing!”. I’ve no idea what で is doing, however.

何でそんな触んの=何で, “Why”. そんな, “That sort of/kind of”. 触, “touch”. んの, I don’t know what this means. When we saw it on the previous page I thought it meant part of a conditional, but here I’m not sure. Could it be something like でしょう, in a questioning sense? In any case, I translate the sentence as “Why are you touching me?”.

Page 25

視線を感じる= 視線, “one’s look/gaze”. 感じる, “to feel/sense”. Translation: “I can feel them (the other students) looking at me”.

今更だね= 今更, “now/at this stage”. So I took this to mean that she’s saying “Right now?”, in the sense of “how have you not noticed yet?”.

もう休めばよかったのに = もう, “now”. 休めば, “to rest” in the volitional ば form, so it means “if (one were) to rest”. よかった, “was good”. のに, “although”. I’m hazarding a guess to say that she’s saying “It would be good if it would have stopped by now”, referring to people staring at Ruri’s horns.

思った= “To think”, in the past form. So, “I thought”. I presume this is leading into the next sentence.

目立らませんように…= ません, “(negates noun/verb)”. ように, going with the second meaning, which is “hoping or wishing for something”. I don’t know what 立ら means, it didn’t come up on ichi or kanshudo, but because 目 (for “eyeball” or “look”) is here, I’m assuming the entire sentence says something like “I was hoping they weren’t looking at me”.

おはよー= “Morning! (casual)”

おはー= “Morning! (super casual)”

Page 26

おい青木ツノ生えてるわ= I’m taking 青木 to be referring to Ruri’s family name here? Could be totally wrong. I’m still getting used to the て form, to be honest. おい is “Oi!”, and わ is an emphatic particle, so I translate the whole bubble as “Oi! 青木’s horns are growing!”. Alternatively, if 青 is actually referring to the colour blue, and 木 is being used as a counter, then the sentence is “Oi! Green horns are growing!”. Most likely the second translation, but it might be the first, I don’t know.

ざわ= Apparently ざわざわ is onomatopoeia for “the sound of people talking”.

ほんとだ= “Seriously…”

がや= Another onomatopoeia for background chatter.

やめて見ないでください= やめて, “stop”. 見ないでください, “don’t look, please”. Entire bubble: “Stop. Don’t look, please”.

えっ= “Eh?..”

うおっ= “Ooh whoa…”

何で気付くの早いんだよ= “Why did they have to notice so quickly…”. [At this stage, I’m probably going to refrain from posting entire breakdown of the sentences if I know it all. Sorry if this is an inconvenience to other beginners who might be using these translations for help, but if it’s just an individual word translation you’re looking for, kanshudo.com will be just as good as me, if not a lot better!"

お前何そのツノ= “What do you call those horns?”/“What’s the name of those horns?”

生えたの= “They just grew…”

お前って言うな= “You don’t call them anything…”

ごめん= “Sorry”

何でツノ生えてんの?= “Why did horns grow?” (I’m assuming んの is an abbreviation of んだ + の?)

知らない= “I don’t know”

かっけー俺もツノ生やそ= “Cool… I’m gonna grow horns too!” I’m assuming 生やそ is just the volitional of 生える, only a bit abbreviated, and with a そ at the end.

どうやってだよ= “How?!”/“In what way?!”

あはは= “Ah ha ha!”

ちょっと男子邪魔= “Wait a minute, annoying boy…”

はあ= Sigh

9 Likes

I agree. Search function is better.

3 Likes
Pg. 20

It’s the past form of grammar point てしまう

It’s most commonly summed up as “to do by accident” or “to do completely.” Context informs which it is. In this case, the action has been completed, so that’s my reading of it. Essentially something of a resigned statement. “Well, they’ve grown.”

The katakana ン is very likely just emphasis – or like, in reference to the horns, since all the stand in words for them have been in katakana so far, yeah. It strikes me as strange also, but I think it’s an author quirk.

So, the って is essentially a quotation particle, but it can also be used in casual speech as quite similar to は, especially if it’s referencing a topic that has been brought up already recently.

The 上 is a suffix which is like, “so far as ○○ is concerned”. It’s kinda dancing around the idea of them being fantasy. She can no longer actually call them fantastical, given what she has just learned, so the 上 just makes it a less direct adjective, I think. (I welcome correction on this, though! Gut feeling, not a fact!)

The のか is technically requesting a bit more information/emphasizing the question more. In casual speech, they are pretty well interchangeable, though.

@nferrick since it didn’t actually put this as a reply to you, I’ll ping just in case the quote doesn’t give you a notification. -.- Discourse and its quirks…

9 Likes
Page 20 answer

I would translate as “Well, it already grew, so there’s no helping it”
しまった is listed in a dictionary as: (after -te form) indicates a resultant action while implying unexpectedness, usually to the extent that it is accidental (but as there are varying degrees, it can be light enough that it isn’t noticeable)
The other definition you have is possible but not in this case. I usually just think of this as an extension of し if long winded explanations aren’t for you.

Also the katakana, I have no clue, maybe style, maybe emphasis.

“What the? Aren’t ‘Dragons’ fantasy creatures in the sky?”
って is used as quote, yeah
I believe 上 is referring to the position in which the creature dwells.
のか is “Endorsing and questioning the preceding statement” so pretty much like you thought.

6 Likes
Corrections for pgs 18-26

I understand it as “Guess I’ll go to school”

Cow’s milk if we’re being petty :imp:

“I wonder if Yuka’s already there”

I always translate it to “Alright!” but if you get the feeling down that’s all that matters

It tends to be used for “I made it in time” She is probably saying she is making good time on getting ready

やっぱり short form which means after “After all”

See my answer to nferrick

it means key but she says it twice, so she is kind of like “Crap, gotta lock the door”

Liar, you do know what it means :slight_smile:

The 2nd one is correct

確か would mean “If I’m not mistaken”

Oh, they were kind of just like this when I woke up". You’re on the right track there, Let me break it down a bit
いや
なんか
朝起きたら
こんな
なってて
It might help to separate them and read like that
うんまあ="Umm… Well…"
"Yeah… well… " うん means yeah

何ソレ is an expression of disbelief, then “Did they really grow” is spot on

As I said above, it just means “Yeah”

“It seems like I’m not a human, I guess”

Usually I’d translate it as “Hey”

“Ahh, no…”
“Yeah, of course”

“Don’t tell me you were talking about these horns”

Yeah

“What… Ruri, you’re a dragon?” Sorry I ruined the title drop

So close. The いや is still just a no. But you’re pretty much correct on the other part

“It seems like my dad is a dragon”

Grew. They aren’t still growing

See answer to Jin-ki. And also “Grew” again.

more like how haven’t you noticed till now?

“It would’ve been good if you took the day off”

It’s her last name. “Oi horns grew on Aoki”.

“It’s true”

“What are those horns” お前 means you. It’s a bit rude to say like “Hey you!”

Don’t say お前

“Cool! I also wanna grow horns”

Hey! You boys are a bother / nuisance"

8 Likes

As before, if not commented on, I agreed with it and didn’t have much to add.

Pg. 18

Kinda, yep. I always view these sort of self-questions as being like,

“Well, shall I do this?”

It’s fully rhetorical.

I wouldn’t necessarily translate it quite that way, but the gist of it is that she is cursing to herself, yep.

Pg. 19

Not quite.

間に合う is a set phrase: “to be in time (for)”

It’s a casual やっぱり “in the end; as expected”

Essentially, I would read this as

“I wonder if my horns are going to stand out as I expect (they will)…”

Pg. 20

Answered this one!

ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 2 - #16 by MrGeneric

Same し + な combo as it’s been. :grinning:

Reasoning し (“because”) and a gruffer ね.

Think she is talking to herself as she is looking for the key.

“Ah…key…key…”

I do it in English, myself.

Pretty much nailed this one, I think.

Pg. 21

These two should be put together, somewhat.

“Come to think of it, first mom said Ryu… I wonder what the differences are? (Meaning between ドラゴン and 龍)”

I would take the “If I remember correctly” interpretation of 確か, over “surely”.

“If I remember right, a Japanese dragon would mean/refer to a koi fish.”

Then she looks unimpressed at the thought of her dad being a koi. :joy: (there is also a myth about a koi climbing a waterfall to become a dragon, so it’s a reference to that. Same myth that inspired the Magikarp → Gyrados line in Pokemon.)

考える → 考えん. る often gets squished in casual speech into a ん when it comes up on a の. The の nominalizes the 考える verb.

I would phrase it more like,

“I need to stop thinking.” to keep the verb nominalizing clearer.

Pg. 22

Surprise, its an あ with dakuten. :joy:

It essentially indicates the sound is louder/slightly choked in a way? It’s emphasis.

They just use the word 青い for some green things as well, mostly plants, but also traffic lights. Never did look into why.

You use て form to connect to phrases like ごめん, ありがとう, よかった. In this case, without the よかった, the sentence could end in だ. To connect that ending up to よかった, it gets converted to で.

いや = “well/er” (it does literally mean no, but can be filler like we see here)

なんか = somehow/something like

朝 = morning

起きたら = 起きる + たら. たら means “when” in this case.

こんな = this type

なってて = なっている in て form, contracted. “To have become” is the interpretation I would use for なっている, and the additional て form is the one that would usually be connective, but is often used in Japanese to indicate trailing off with a sentence.

Overall, roughly, “Well, when I woke up this morning, I had become like this…”

Pg. 23

That’s not volitional. It’s the stative form. Otherwise, yeah, it’s the る crushed into ん as happens in casual speech.

“They’ve seriously grown?”

It’s yes in this case.

Pg. 24

Not quite.

もしかして = “Could it be”

ツノの話 = “talk about the horns”

“Could it be that you were talking about those horns?”

Yuka is essentially asking if Ruri bringing up dragons existing or not was related to the horns.

This is yes again. Agreement, so the uh-huh over the umm.

There are a lot of dropped particles here, but it’s closer to, “What? Ruri, are you a dragon?” This is the questioning の. The な has to be there whenever the の is preceded by a noun.

I think this is just a normal “No.” Expressing disagreement with what was just said. Not a stop it. That comes later. :stuck_out_tongue:

Less dragon-ish, and more like, “It would seem that”

らしい is often used for hearsay.

So overall, “No, I mean… It seems that ny dad is a dragon…”

Pg. 25

I don’t think I would ascribe that sense to it. Just kind of a factual, “Yeah, it’s been that way up till now.” I’m sure Ruri has noticed the entire time.

Not quite.

This is Yuka saying that it probably would have been best if Ruri had stayed home. The のに is kinda expressing a bit of regret (second-hand in this case.)

“Although, it would have been best if you had stayed home…”

目立つ = “to stand out”

Pg. 26

It’s the family name.

お前 = you (it’s rude, but it’s used in manga all the time)

No name or calling anything here. Just literally, “Hey you, what are those horns?”

And here is the manga showing you that お前 is rude. She says not to call her that. :stuck_out_tongue:

生えてるの → 生えてんの

Also, happy cake day!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Meant to include that, but forgot while I was focused on answering the questions. :joy:

12 Likes
page 19

To be on time

Short for やっぱり

page 20

Oops

Key, repeated twice for emphasis because she forgot to lock the door at first

page 21

Slang for そう言えば

page 22

いや なんか 朝 起きたら
こんな なって て

I put spaces between the words. なんか is sort of a filler word like “like”. て is I believe a slangy version of って. Do you think you can figure it out from there?

page 23

Yes

page 24

の here is like “of”. She’s talking of (about) her horns.

うそ is a lie, but used so frequently and easily that it basically just means “not true”

page 26

お前 = rude way of saying “you”

8 Likes