ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

10 Likes

Gonna try and start this book. Not sure I’m ready in my Japanese knowledge yet, but it’s absolute beginner right? gotta start somewhere.

9 Likes

Good luck! A lot of questions have already been answered in the weekly threads, but if there’s anything else you want to know, don’t hesitate to ask.

3 Likes

The number one thing to remember is that just about anything written for native speakers will be difficult for learners when first attempting to read.

If you feel the material is too difficult to read, that’s normal at the absolute beginner level.

Allowing this to be a learning experience (via the weekly threads) puts you on the path toward a reading experience.

5 Likes

Now I just need to figure out how to get the dang book, AmazonJP isn’t cooperating with me :frowning:

2 Likes

This post has a walkthrough for Amazon JP. The thread also lists the other options for you if you still can’t get it to work.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/buying-digital-japanese-books/10603/151

2 Likes

I recommend manga-republic.com! They’re great, and you can order one book at a time without paying extra for shipping!

4 Likes

And in the meantime, we still have 3 weeks left in which you can use the bookwalker preview, @h3lladvocate.

1 Like

Time for week 3!

8 Likes

yeah, finished week 1 XD only one week untill I reach the current section. It worked a lot better tnen I expected. Had to do a lot of guessing with the vocab list and grammar list, but in the end I was most of the time able to get what Ruri and her mom were talking about.
My grammar still sucks XD but I will get there. It’s interessting to see that stuff in action. Deepl also helped a few times with stuff that was completly unclear at first. I could even translate a few longer sentences without looking up anything XD
I hope to find some time next week to tackle the week 2

7 Likes

Is it possible to watch a thread and get notifications on the website but not by email? I want to see new posts but I don’t want to be bombarded by emails with every new message.

5 Likes

Yes! You can disable e-mail, allow notifications with the site open and set a thread to watching. (And if you don’t want notifications you can also just set a thread to watching, and you’ll see if there are new posts when you open the forums by clicking your avatar in the top-right) :wink:

6 Likes

Ok, I might be blind. I found the setting, thank you :see_no_evil:

4 Likes
5 Likes

and here i am still deciphering the stuff of week 2 :frowning: and the page numbers are rising

6 Likes

がんばってね!

And well, even if you’ll stay behind, the threads will still be there for you when you’re finished. And there’ll be enough people watching to quickly answer your questions.

2 Likes

powered through week 2 XD took me only around 2 1/2 hours XD no idea if I can finish week three before week 4 is over XD i’m away this weekend

4 Likes

:sweat_drops: が、がおお~

5 Likes

See, Ruri is actually very dangerous

Mostly because I’d want to pat her head so fast I’d impale my hand on one of her horns

8 Likes

I strongly believe in sourcing fanart so here’s the source of this image.

11 Likes