ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 3

This is a continuation of the Intermediate Book Club reading ヨコハマ買い出し紀行.

We are continuing with one thread per volume. You can read the chapters at your own pace.

Find the Intermediate Book Club here

Link to the ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 Home thread

Volume 3

BM2j7K0aiKyzud2kfkni6g__

Start date: December 18th 2021
Previous part: Volume 2
Next part: Volume 4

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I am reading along
  • I have finished this volume
  • I have already read the series beyond this volume
  • I have not reached this volume yet
  • I have decided to drop the series
  • I am a tomato, show me the results :durtle_tomato:

0 voters

Date for next thread

There was some discussion in the previous thread about the schedule. When would you like the next thread to be created?

(You can select multiple options so choose any options that you are fine with.)

• Create the next thread in four weeks (2 chapters per week)
  • Create the next thread in three weeks (same as previous volume)
  • I would like to go back to one thread per week (2 chapters per thread)

0 voters

1 Like

Ah, the first appearence of the… uh… weird sensation they get from Kokone’s scooter.

Page 20, what’s らしいといえばらしい? Google’s suggested some things, but the specific applications of that to this sentence are unclear to me.

1 Like

I thought that it was very illustrative of the laid-back nature of this manga that that first chapter ends with いきなり、にぎやかな日. If that is their idea of a lively day… :smiley:

No idea what is going on there :sweat_smile:

A small language question from that first chapter: on p. 12, when they’re talking about Kokone staying over, Alpha says:

ええ、せっかくこっち来たんだし、ゆっくりしてこうかと

I’m not sure what to make of the こうかと at the end there…

I was wondering about that too. In the end I took the らしいといえば to add extra emphasis to the second らしい. Something like “Speaking of typical, Alpha’s room was very typical (of her)”. But if anyone knows better, I’ll be curious to know!

I had a question about p. 26:
なにかコトッとはまった感じがして
I don’t know what to make of this sentence…

All in all, I personally didn’t find these chapters all that interesting. Lots of nice drawings of Alpha and Kokone, but that’s not really what I’m here for. The field with fish-kites and the dreamy atmosphere were nice, though.

Looking forward to the next two chapters though! Those are looking good from what I’ve seen leafing ahead.

It’s the following grammar structure with the 思う left off. I think the こう is ()く in volitional form and without the い in the beginning.

2 Likes

So, while searching for locations from chapter 18, I came across this instead:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&dg=feature&mid=1hxQPrkcreBbq4M07h0c1Mnypd5o&ll=35.67440747357387%2C139.62142181157958&z=15

That’ll do. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I thought chapter 18 had a really nice atmosphere and I like the contrast between Kokone’s more urban (or urban wasteland) surroundings with Alpha’s wilder area.

I did find the grammar a bit harder in this chapter and after reading through it three times, I still have a few parts I could use help with:

p. 43: 自分が器用に「ロボットっぽくなく」ふるまうのがみえてしまいました

I still have trouble with 自分 sometimes. Is Kokone referring to herself here or to Alpha?

The way I read this sentence is that on p. 42 she said that she was always trying to be more human-like and here she says that at Alpha’s cafe she either discovered that she herself was skilful at behaving un-robot-like or she saw that Alpha was skilled at that. Or maybe I’m reading it completely wrong :sweat_smile:

p. 45: 私たちがどれほどものなのか

The infamous もの… is this もの as in 物, 者, or just part of a grammatical construction? :sweat_smile: (“To what extent are we things?” or “To what extent are we persons?” or something else?)

p. 46: でもそういうののってない

This is where she is reading the books about the Alpha series (which I thought was a nice detail). With the lack of kanji, it’s a bit hard to tell, but I took this to be 載る so that this is saying something along the lines of “such things are not published” (the books don’t contain information about such things).

I liked Alpha’s reaction to the letter なんかふかーく考えてるらしい indeed (maybe I’m also thinking too deeply about these sentences).

Chapter 19 and 20 were also nice. What’s with アヤセ‘s beard and moustache, though? They seem to be gone again in chapter 21 and for a minute I wasn’t sure if he was the same character…

So Alpha also remarks that アヤセ talks the same way as the old man. I’m not sure if we discussed this already in earlier threads, but is this speaking style specific to a certain region of Japan? (Or is something else implied here :thinking:)

I just had one language question: p. 63 near the top: not sure what to make of 元フィールド.

うるせえやつだな is a pretty good description of Alpha in this chapter :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

「ブーンとかゴワー」pretty much sums up chapter 20 :joy:

1 Like

Alpha, I think.

Heh. I noticed that. I guess he freshened up because he was going to church, as it were?

I’ve got nothing to back me up on this, but I wonder if it’s something like “That’s my old stomping ground”.

1 Like

Those were a couple of beautiful chapters closing off this volume.

The scene with the streetlights ただ光るためだけに光る was touching. And ミサゴ enthusiastically bounding over the trees when she thought she spotted タカヒロ was great. The little wrapped crab at the end was very cute.

I’ve come to think that what I also like so much about this manga is that there seems to be so much love between the characters. They all seem to care deeply about each other, each in their own way. Even the ミサゴ, as we saw in that last chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So much dialogue in chapter 23…

1 Like

Yeah, that was a lot of work to translate :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like