Week 6 Dec 10 Chapter 6 169 29
Week 7 Dec 17 Chapter 7 199 29
Week 8 Dec 24 Chapter 8 + 9 229 29 + 7
Week 9 Dec 31 Chapter 10 267 29
Week 10 Jan 07 Chapter 11 + 12 297 29 + 17
Week 11 Jan 14 Chapter 13 347 31
Week 12 Jan 21 Chapter 14 + ユージニアノート 379 30 + 7

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read ユージニア :rose: with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

Bilingual Book Club

Some of us had the idea to run an English-Japanese book club, and we decided to have this book club be the first of this kind!

What does this mean?

For the Japanese learners, everything stays the same. We will read the book following the schedule as detailed above, and we will ask Japanese language questions and discuss the contents of the book in English, just as with any other book club.
But! The novelty is that some Japanese native speakers who are English learners will also join the club. They will read the book in English, and they will ask English language questions :smiley: The comments and questions can be in Japanese or in English. Please feel free to interact as you see fit :bowing_woman:

日本人の皆様へ:
ようこそ! :blush: The Aosawa Murdersという英語の本を上記の計画に従って読んでください。言葉や内容について質問があったらぜひ英語でも日本語でも聞いてくださいね。よろしくお願いします!

I am (mainly) reading the book in…

• Japanese
  • English

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
青澤 緋紗子 あおさわ ひさこ the blind girl (ca. 12 yo at the time of the event) (Week 1)
雑賀 満喜子 さいが まきこ ch. 1 narrator (Week 2)
順二 じゅんじ ch. 3 narrator’s older brother (Week 3)
誠一 せいいち ch. 3 narrator’s older brother
ヒサ / 久代 ひさよ the blind girl from week 1
マキ ch. 3 narrator (young girl)
相澤 あいざわ doctor whose birthday is being celebrated
相澤 祐 あいざわ たすく blind girl’s younger brother, youngest son of the family
キミ ca. 15 year-old maid of the Aizawa family
青澤 望 あおさわ のぞむ eldest son of the Aosawa family (Week 4)
3 Likes

Hello and welcome to Eugenia :blush:

I’ve checked out a schedule and came up with what you can find in the OP. Unfortunately the schedule is a bit bumpy as it has four weeks that are a bit longer than the others, but it doesn’t make too much sense to me to have those short chapters in a week of their own. If you’re worried about being able to keep up with the weeks that are longer than 30 pages, please feel free to start a week earlier and/or read ahead a bit when a longer week approaches.

Disclaimer: I calculated the page counts off of the BookWalker pages, so the numbers might not be 100% accurate. If somebody has the physical book with the correct page numbers, I’d be happy if you could post a pic of the table of contents!

Please tell me what you think about the schedule, and whether you’d like to change anything.

4 Likes

I don’t have the physical book either, but here is the table of contents from the Amazon preview of the paperback bunko:

4 Likes

Yep, that matches my paper copy. Generally there seems to be one blank page between chapters. The prologue is only 2 pages of actual text.

2 Likes

In the BookWalker edition, the chaper names seem to be on their own page - is that what you are seeing as well? Or is there even more blank space around the chapters?

In the BookWalker edition, there is even a short chapter before the prologue which is called 手紙. Are you seeing that as well in the book? I’m posting it here for comparison:

手紙

Start of prologue

@omk3 Thanks for posting the table of contents! Always a good idea to check the Amazon preview, I totally forgot about that :bowing_woman:
I will update the numbers for my schedule later as I am a bit busy atm.

3 Likes

Such consistent chapter lengths :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, the chapter-name pages are what I meant by ‘blank’, and the 手紙 is present.

1 Like

@pocketcat and I had the idea of running a book club in a bilingual fashion, with Japanese learners reading the book in Japanese and (Japanese native speakers who are) English learners reading the book in English. We mulled this over for some time and are happy to announce that this book club will be the first bilingual one!

Please see the OP for some more information (and of course, please fill in the bilingual poll!). And if you know any Japanese native speakers who would be interested in joining this club, please direct them here.

8 Likes

Finally the ユージニア / Aosawa Murders Book Club is starting! Here is our discussion thread for week 1:

6 Likes

Welcome to Week 2!

4 Likes

Onward to week 3!

3 Likes

I’m curious to see what week 4 brings!

3 Likes

Week 5 is here! What will we learn next?

2 Likes

Here is Week 6:

2 Likes

Week 7 is on the doorstep!

2 Likes

Happy Holidays everybody! I have a special present for you: This week we will read two chapters! But don’t worry, the second chapter is pretty short.

4 Likes

…I still haven’t finished this past week’s reading :scream: I should get on that

3 Likes

Here is Week 9 - this week we’re back to just one chapter:

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Week 10!

This week is the longest of all, we will be reading two chapters again, with ~47 pages in total. But after that it’s back to normal again, I promise :innocent:

2 Likes

I just finished the book and just fyi, ユージニアノート is not part of the novel, it’s an afterword that was added in the 文庫本 version. So don’t feel like you have to read it. Interestingly though, it uses the same interview format as the rest of the book. It’s not super clear to me if Onda wrote it herself? It’s not from her pov but the style is the same and there’s no name on it. The afterword mostly talks about the hardcover version of the book, so it’s a bit hard to picture when you haven’t seen it. I found some pictures here and here.

6 Likes