18 Jun 73 - ボディチェンジの悪夢! 77-94 18
25 Jun 74 - ギニュー決着! いでよ神龍!! 95-112 18
2 Jul 75 - ついに願いかなう時 113-130 18
9 Jul 76 - フリーザ怒りの大変身!! 131-148 18
16 Jul 77 - ベジータ大誤算 149-166 18
23 Jul 78 - 謎の大復活! そして⋯ 167-183 17
30 Jul Bonus 184-189 6

Vocabulary list

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Participants

Are you reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Nope

0 voters

Discussion guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the page number. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable.
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler].
2 Likes

Thanks for organising us again @Phryne, good to be back! I enjoyed Goku the mentalist’s sudden mind reading powers. I’m not sure where they came from!

And a great word on the first page - バズる - to go viral, to make a buzz (on the intranet).

1 Like

Do you reckon it’s a reference to something recent in the Dragonballsphere? I tried looking around, but the only Frieza-related dancing video I could find was this commercial from 2015.

1 Like

Week 2

Start date: 28 May
Pages: 23-40

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

It’s a thought. The “would you like to see my dance of joy” comment is there in the original though, so I wonder if this just taking the dance comment and linking it to modern TikTok culture.

In the bargain sale Super Saiyan picture I wondered who the big guy was at the bottom. He’s Onio from Nekomajin.

1 Like

Week 3

Start date: 4 Jun
Pages: 41-58

0 voters

They do like their Neko Majin references in this manga. That’s the second time he’s appeared so far this volume!

1 Like

Do I smell a spin-off club of a spin-off club?

2 Likes

Week 4

Start date: 11 Jun
Pages: 59-76

0 voters

1 Like

Week 5

Start date: 18 Jun
Pages: 77-94

0 voters

1 Like

The first hints of a new relationship for Bulma? Presumably the original readers would have been really surprised to know where this story line was going to go!

I missed the joke at the bottom of page 71. Presumably a link to the (very funny) どM comments. Perhaps an SM reference? A double entendre of 入れ替わる?

Summary

1 Like

I think you’re right. But then there’s also another layer:

2 Likes

Wow I don’t think I would have got there! Thanks for finding that out. I wonder how many more cultural references we’ve missed along the way!

2 Likes

What I don’t get… I thought that part of a fighter’s strength comes from their mind? Like with the Kaiouken, clearing your mind, manipulating your ki and that of surrounding beings… If that is the case, what’s the point of swapping bodies? :thinking:

EDIT: Now that I am reading this week’s reading, that turns out to be exactly the point, haha :grin:

2 Likes

Week 6

Start date: 25 Jun
Pages: 95-112

0 voters

1 Like

Chapter 74 was a great chapter! Ginyu finally got his comeuppance - but was it really wise just to let him go? Apparently while he never makes an appearance in the orginal manga again, he did have an ongoing story line in the anime. We’ll see if he comes up again in the SD version…

We get some Namekian language! Here is how the last page appeared in the English translation of the original Dragon Ball.

Summary

2 Likes

Week 7

Start date: 2 Jul
Pages: 113-130

0 voters

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone happens to know what 〜てやるか is, especially that か at the end. Vegeta has a habit of saying this:

It doesn’t look like a question, and it also doesn’t look like the negation-y rhetorical way it is sometimes used.

Good question. It made sense in context but now you ask I don’t actually know what the grammar is.

I thought of やる as substitute for あげる when addressing inferiors. It is true that the か there might actually be making the meaning something else.