Week 8

Start date: 5 Mar
Pages: 131-148

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

I realised just now that I am an idiot :grin: When I read your comment, I thought ‘huh, they must mean the other way round, right…?’. But now I realise that’s because I somehow managed to skip chapter 64. I read chapter 65 last week and 66 this week :sweat_smile: So I guess I’ll read chapter 64 this coming week to make up for it! :grin:

Anyway, the Ginyu squad looks fun. From the little glimpse I caught of the beginning of chapter 67, they give me Team Rocket vibes :grin:

2 Likes

Love the Ginyu squad, looking forward to this next part of the story. And also the first team up between Krillin, Gohan and Vegeta! Enjoyed Goku’s training scene. I like that even he knows he needs to taper his training prior to match day!

Just on the first panel, I didn’t understand what the かに was doing between 揃えた and みえた.

I have no idea if this is Legit Grammar™, but I took 7個すべてを揃えた to be framed as speculation (hence the か) and then ‘it seems like’ (に見える). So ’Vegeta, who seemed like he might have collected all 7’. I’ve seen か being used to denote speculation in novels before but I am afraid I can’t really find a reference for it.

1 Like

Week 9

Start date: 12 Mar
Pages: 149-166

0 voters

That makes perfect sense thank you.

1 Like

Good chapter today. I was wondering about this sentence:

オレたちで言うところのヤムチャさん的愛されポジなのか?

Not quite sure of the gist of the sentence here.

2 Likes

I read this as meaning: Is he, what we would call among ourselves, a Yamcha-like beloved position, i.e. only has his position in the team because of the affection of the rest of the group, because he is actually much weaker than the others.

2 Likes

Makes sense, I felt there was a comparison with Yamcha, but wasn’t familair with the pattern ~で言う or even proper name + 的

This part is a fixed expression I think:

I liked the way the author did the lettering in this panel. The repeated あいこでしょ reminded me of the kids playing janken in our house!

Summary

This is what I found out about the people shown on the last page, written by the same author as our manga:

オニュー特戦隊

1 Like

I love how they call him ベジータちゃん :grin:

Thanks for that explanation @Micki, it helped me out as well!

1 Like

Week 10

Start date: 19 Mar
Pages: 167-183

0 voters

1 Like

A fairly straightforward chapter to finish on. Roll on the next volume on the 4th April!

68 chapters in and I realise I don’t know the word for cactus in Japanese… However I did enjoy learning the word ツンデレ!

1 Like

This helps to explain one of the bonus content stories, some background on Puar from dragonball.fandom.com:

Summary

1 Like