ドラゴンボールSD (Dragon Ball SD) · Volume 7 Discussion 🐉

I was a bit surprised there! He uses a very formal register, but then also calls them 匹 :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Week 4

Start date: 5 Feb
Pages: 59-76

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

Lots of good new words in this weeks chapter:

雑魚 - small fry; unimportant person
寝ぼける - to be still half asleep
底知れぬ - bottomless; immeasurable

My favourite was アラサー meaning woman of around thirty years old. Some katakana words you cannot figure out, no matter how much you think about them. This one comes from a contraction of the English - around thirty

Also I do like Dende, even though he hasn’t done much yet!

1 Like

Two things I wasn’t quite sure about:

Page 59

How is も used here? I’m not really familiar with も after a dictionary verb :thinking:

Page 68
Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 19.50.47
What’s って doing there in the leftmost speech bubble?

Page 59 - I read the も simply as “also”. As in, Gohan is flying away, and also Dodoriya is flying behind them catching up.

Page 68 - I got the gist of this one but struggled to properly break it down. I also couldn’t decide if から was “because” or “from”.

1 Like

Week 5

Start date: 12 Feb
Pages: 77-94

0 voters

Page 76 shows Yajirobe clutching a bag of Senzu beans. In the original there’s a scene showing Yajirobe bringing 7 senzu beans to Goku in hospital. Goku takes one and immediately is healed - which is why he’s now well and able to be on his way to Namek.

It’s nice to see Zarbon getting in the action - although he seems to be drawn very effeminate compared to the orginal!

After a lot of trial and error I finally stumbled upon the right combination of Google search words lol

I had the same problem! But when I asked my Japanese teacher about it, it turns out からって is its own thing! It’s a contraction of からといって. The silly thing is, when I checked it out on Bunpro, I noticed that I had even added a note to this entry, because I apparently had come across it while reading Shirokuma Cafe :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I liked the bit about Vegeta not actually being sure what a Dragon Ball looks like. The SD version does like to mock the little plot holes :grin:

1 Like

Agree, very funny. I love the precautions he takes in case he has the wrong thing!

1 Like

Week 6

Start date: 19 Feb
Pages: 95-112

0 voters

I wasn’t expecting Zarbon to defeat Vegeta so easily!

Week 7

Start date: 26 Feb
Pages: 113-130

0 voters

Week 8

Start date: 5 Mar
Pages: 131-148

0 voters

I realised just now that I am an idiot :grin: When I read your comment, I thought ‘huh, they must mean the other way round, right…?’. But now I realise that’s because I somehow managed to skip chapter 64. I read chapter 65 last week and 66 this week :sweat_smile: So I guess I’ll read chapter 64 this coming week to make up for it! :grin:

Anyway, the Ginyu squad looks fun. From the little glimpse I caught of the beginning of chapter 67, they give me Team Rocket vibes :grin:

2 Likes

Love the Ginyu squad, looking forward to this next part of the story. And also the first team up between Krillin, Gohan and Vegeta! Enjoyed Goku’s training scene. I like that even he knows he needs to taper his training prior to match day!

Just on the first panel, I didn’t understand what the かに was doing between 揃えた and みえた.

I have no idea if this is Legit Grammar™, but I took 7個すべてを揃えた to be framed as speculation (hence the か) and then ‘it seems like’ (に見える). So ’Vegeta, who seemed like he might have collected all 7’. I’ve seen か being used to denote speculation in novels before but I am afraid I can’t really find a reference for it.

1 Like

Week 9

Start date: 12 Mar
Pages: 149-166

0 voters

That makes perfect sense thank you.

1 Like

Good chapter today. I was wondering about this sentence:

オレたちで言うところのヤムチャさん的愛されポジなのか?

Not quite sure of the gist of the sentence here.

2 Likes