チーズスイートホーム: Week 5 Discussion (Chapters 13-15)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

チーズスイートホーム home thread

Chapters 13-15

Start date: July 20th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 10-12
Next Chapter: Chapters 16-18

Vocabulary list

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

8 Likes

A question please meow~

Chapter 15, Page 121

Veterinarian tells dad “あと1ヵ月ぐらいしたらワクチンしにまた来てね”
I am having trouble figuring out what したら is doing there. The only thing that comes to mind is that this comes from する in たら conditional form. But する what exactly… ?

Jisho does mention there’s a くらいする, that means “to rank (as); to occupy (a position)​; to be located (in); to be situated​” but doesn’t seem to fit.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

Definition 10 of する is “10. to pass (of time); to elapse​ Usually written using kana alone” so using this along with the “when” or “after” aspect of -たら, you get something along the lines of “After another month passes, come in again for a vaccine.”

6 Likes

Oh, I don’t think I’ve run into that usage of する before. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Chapters 14 and 15 were pretty fun!

I have to check a couple of words from chapter 13, although I think I got them from context

Poor little チー, the humans really are horrible! :scream_cat:

We now know/have confirmation that she’s a… she \o/ :stuck_out_tongue:

Chapter 14 has too much text at once :x especially after a chapter with almost only みゃーs

1 Like

I am so behind. 2 weeks worth of various excuses but the one that is the most reasonable is that I’ve been doing a lot of driving so I’ve been wearing my contacts. I can barely see the furigana with my contacts in, let alone read it. Now I have a few days of wearing glasses, (or taking tgem off to read the furigana) I’ll catch up tonight and tomorrow

Thanks in advance to all the people who fill out the vocab sheets. Not all heroes wear capes. Or maybe you do. I dunno. Thanks regardless of your cape-wearing preferences :heart:

10 Likes

Page 108

mum: 予約した 動物病院は あっちの遠いほう だからね
dad: わかってる 近所は 危ないもんな
dad: 見つかったら 大変だ

予約 - appointment
した - past of する, “made”
動物病院 - animal hospital
は - topic particle
あっち - that way, over there
の - possessive particle
遠い - far, distant
ほう - direction
だから - so
ね - right?

わかってる - to understand, in te-iru form
近所 - neighbourhood
は - topic particle
危ない - dangerous
もん - definition 8??? “because”???
な - male sentence ending particle

見つかったら - to be found in たら (if) form - “if found”
大変 - terrible
だ - copula

mum: “So, the animal hospital at which we made [our] appointment is way over there, right?”
dad: “yep, I understand, because this neigbourhood is dangerous, yeah”.
dad: “It’d be tough [for us] if we were spotted [by the neighbours, having a cat in the flat]”

If anyone can point out my mistakes (I am sure there are plenty!) I would be most grateful! Thank you!

3 Likes

What I understood is that they got an appointment from a far veterinary because they don’t want to get spot by the neighbors.

Does it make sense?

3 Likes

Great break down as ever! I agreed with you on the first sentence.

On the second sentence 危ない can also mean uncertain; unreliable; insecure; unsteady; doubtful​. I thought the わかってる modified the 近所 to mean something like “my knowledge of the neighbourhood”, and I thought the end was も (also) and ん (explanatory particle). So I went for - “And also I don’t know the neighbourhood that well”.

But I guess it could also mean “the knowing neighbourhood would be dangerous” - or “it would be dangerous if the neighbours knew”. Which would make sense with the final sentence as you have translated.

Not sure if that’s much help but that was my thoughts anyway!

3 Likes

Chapter 13

Page 101

ヨーへーのやろお~

When I first saw this I thought he said, “Yohei, you b***ard!”
But I presume it is “It’s Yohei’s buddy” (Jisho does also list やろう as being Kansai dialect for “seems, I guess” - It’s Yohei’s it seems)
Either way it feels like it should be やろう but they styled it as やろお。

Further down same page I presume when Chi says やたー he means やだ - “No way!” (You are not having it!)

I’m not sure what Yohei’s reply means: ふんだいいもん

Page 103

Chi in the top panel, and then Yohei in the bottom panel say 「わーい」

I’m not sure what Chi means when she says it? (it’s the inner monologue translation of her miaow noise)

Yohei’s could perhaps just be a sound effect as he flutters the strip of red card?

Thanks for any answers!

2 Likes

I so want to be a part of this but my Japanese still sucks when it comes to anything past the basics. Glad to see a lot of people on here, will pick the book up after I get better. Sorry that I didn’t contribute anything.

2 Likes

This is my personal opinion and it might be completely wrong, but I feel your first guess is the correct one.

I feel the term やろう is one of those words that can’t really be properly translated to English. The most common scenario where that term will pop-up is in a fight, and thus usually translated as some sort of insult.

However, my impression of the different ways I’ve seen it used is more of a generic term used when you find someone exasperating (which is the current scenario, as Youhei manages to snatch the pillow from Chi). English insults have a way stronger connotation than the way Chi is using やろう here.

わーい is a common onomatopeia to denote that someone is happy and having fun.

6 Likes

My understanding was that ふんだいい comes from ふむ (to step on, to tread on, to stand on, etc.) and いい in the てもいい sense of giving permission. It’s just casual to drop the も. The もん is just expressing his irritation. It gives me a sense of an irritated “Well fine, you can have it.”

3 Likes

My take on that part is a bit different, and I’m not really sure, but here goes my theory:

ふん => onomatopoeia to say “humph”
だ => copula
いい => fine
もん => expression of irritation (Here is the bunpro link and the JGram link)

So in my interpretation he’s saying: “Humph! It is fine! (I don’t care)”

7 Likes

ふん can also mean “humph” (grunt of disgust)

(Ha ha, just pipped at the post by 2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz!)

5 Likes

Oh yes, I can see the meaning, no problem, it was just the grammar breakdown that I’m struggling to find my way through. Thanks emucat.

1 Like

Page 108

Thank you so much for your help Micki!

Ah, yes! You know, that never even crossed my mind! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Oh nice. That makes a lot of sense too.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! This looked an interesting place to look up sound effects. I googled your link and found it here. Think I will be bookmarking this one!

3 Likes