チーズスイートホーム: Week 3 Discussion (Chapters 7-9)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

チーズスイートホーム home thread

Chapters 7-9

Start date: July 6th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 4-6
Next Chapter: Chapters 10-12

Vocabulary list

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

7 Likes

I created a topic much earlier today, because I’m sick :sweat_smile: And I won’t update the links yet too, it’s hard to do from mobile, but I will do that when I can /o/

2 Likes

Dang. Still on Chapter 1, but then again, I only started yesterday…

1 Like

What I’ve been wondering for a really long time… Does “I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet” mean “I finished the previous chapters and have arrived at this one but haven’t read it yet” or “I’m so far back I have not arrived at the current chapter and still need to catch up.” ? I never know what to vote for before I actually have read it lol.

The latter :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always taken it to be an indicator of whether you’re up to speed and therefore able to read along with the group during this week.

So “I haven’t reached this chapter yet” means “I’m still reading the previous chapter so can’t start this one yet, or maybe I’m even, like, four chapters back”.

6 Likes

That’s how I understood it, too.

In any case, done with this week’s reading already! The thread going up early was actually good for me, since I was already planning on reading チーズ today, since I didn’t have time for last week’s on Saturday after my BBC reading.

Turns out チー’s name did indeed come from pee, as was predicted! Though they didn’t specifically name her for it; she just thought it was her name.

Tiniest, tiniest spoiler for My Roommate is a Cat/同居人はひざ、時々、頭のうえ: A somewhat similar thing happened with how the cat in that anime got her name. The human main character was trying to name the cat, and was so saying random names/words, and the cat responded to “Haru” because she thought it meant “food”, which led him to think that was her name.

Which reminds me, if you like anime and like the cute cat hijinks in チーズ, I’d suggest checking out My Roommate is a Cat. It’s a bit similar to チーズ in that it’s about a guy adopting a stray cat. The anime has a lot more focus on the human characters than this manga does, though, with the perspective being split about 50/50 between the cat main character and the human main character.

2 Likes

I have finished reading the 3 chapters :star_struck:

It looks so far I can catch up quickly

3 Likes

Page 51

猫, 理解する

• cat, + 理解, りかい, understanding, + する, to do
    = “cat, understands”

猫ちゃーん - caaaat
にゃんこー - kitty caaaat
名無しのゴンベー - 名無しの権兵衛, Mr no-name

PS - I tried to add the link to this thread to the main page OP, but couldn’t find the edit button.

3 Likes

Page 51

ねぇ 名前 つけようか?
“hey, shall we give (our flea-bitten stray) a name?”

ダメダメ 飼うわけじゃないんだから

ダメダメ - no way!
飼う - to keep (a pet)
わけじゃない - it does not mean that …; I don’t mean that …; it is not the case that
ん - explanatory particle
だ - copula
から - because

“No way, because we are not going to keep it”

情が移ったら困るだろ

情が移ったら - 情が移る, to become attached to, to begin to love, in たら conditional form
困る - to be troubled, to be bothered
だろ - I think / I guess

“I think it’ll be a pain if we get too attached”

みーつけた - no idea!

4 Likes

Do you ever check the vocab spreadsheet? :relaxed:
It’s みつけた, from 見つける

3 Likes

No. But I just have now… at your suggestion… and it seems all my hard work was a waste of time! It took me ages to find 名無しの権兵衛 , and there is was in the vocab list all along!

Okay, thanks, from now on I’ll rely on that. Thank you @Kyasurin.

1 Like

Did you try to look for it only in kanji? You can search for it in Jisho with romaji.

1 Like

What took even longer was the title of the chapter! 理解… I was busy switching between radical search and drawing for ages before I got it!

I thought the thread was a bit quiet… having such a comprehensive vocab list (thank you to all those that put it together) certainly explains why!

Yeah, the drawing in Jisho is not great, you’d have a better chance of getting it right on the Google Translate drawing option.

Also yeah. It’s usually more about the grammar in these threads, but having such short chapters probably doesn’t help for lengthy discussion.

1 Like

It’s a team effort, and I found the first book I read with WK buddies it really helped me.
I would recommend people add words even if they can’t find the meaning (just leave it blank) and someone else is bound to come along and help out. :smile:

No, not if you’ve learned from it. And even with the vocab list you still need to be able to put the words together and make sense out of them.

2 Likes

Yeah, read the whole of chapter seven going “Oh, no. Ohhh, no. Oh,very no.”

Well exuuuuse you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I read this as “I’m concerned you are getting attached”

The vocab sheet is super helpful. The chapter 6 tab was empty a few days ago when I was catching up but someone has already been busy on the current chapters!

I got the Google “Sheets” app on my phone recently and this is a good way of looking at and editing the spreadsheet from my phone.

2 Likes

I have gone back and added in some more to Ch 6 now too. :smile:

3 Likes

Actually, that’s how I found 解 before adding 理解 to the doc; I find this drawing option quite useful even though I draw very badly with a mouse (and also without :P)

nanasi - Jisho.org 2nd result :slight_smile: (I thought there were two words connected with の* so only searched for the first part and got lucky)
*(which they actually are and I should have able to understand 名無し without Jisho as I know both 名 et 無し u_u I guess that’s why you need to read and not only use WK)

Thank you to all the people filling the spreadsheet :slight_smile:

And remember to name your cats before exposing them to children :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes