Ch 56 大掃除
Week 4 Feb 18 79–104 26 pages Ch 57 破鏡不照
Ch 58 犯人候補
Week 5 Feb 25 105–128 24 pages Ch 59 散策
Ch 60 研究班
Week 6 Mar 4 129–154 26 pages Ch 61 深夜の同期会
Ch 62 夜の空

Discussion Rules

• If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.
7 Likes

For this volume, I’m trying something additional for the vocabulary sheet.

When you populate the Vocab (kanji) field, the sheet will try and populate the Vocab (kana) field for you. If it gets it wrong, please type in the correct reading in the Vocab (kana) field, similar to how you would enter the reading on past sheets.

Upon entering a Japanese word (in either the Vocab (kanji) field or the Vocab (kana) field), the sheet will also try and populate the Meaning field. However, since it doesn’t have context, it may list multiple possible meanings. In this case, please type over it with the most accurate meaning from the list, similar to how you would enter the meaning on past sheets.

If you insert a new row, this feature will not work unless you copy over the Vocab (kana) and Meaning formulas from another row.

I’ll be posting the “start of week one” post around my usual time tomorrow.

7 Likes

Fancy! Thanks for the additional effort, on top of already running the club.

5 Likes

Chapters 51 and 52

Start Date: 2023-01-27T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes
DUKE IT OUT BOYS

6 Likes

Thanks for reminding me that I didn’t read this past week’s chapters yet!

Not sure I’ll make it before the new week starts, but that just means all the more shadows to read this weekend.

5 Likes

Chapters 53 and 54

Start Date: 2023-02-03T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

I have just realised that I completely forgot to read last weeks chapters :sweat_smile:
I’ll try to catch up over this weekend!

5 Likes
Working my way through chapter 52...

Ah, looks like I’ll get some representation in this series!

…well, maybe not too much.

But I have to say, I’m unreasonably interested in finding out what became of クリストファー.

8 Likes

Shoot, the Kindle app has recommendations on the home page, and it recommended a future volume of Shadow House. And the cover had something I would have preferred not to see :weary: It was only “spoilery” because it was several volumes ahead of where we are. I’m sure for someone who had read up to the volume just before it, it wouldn’t have been spoilery at all. But watch out for that, everyone.

5 Likes

Ha, I know exactly which volume you’re talking about, though I’m not sure it’s actually a spoiler. You’ll see why in 6 months when you reach that point. :joy:

You’d think Amazon would be smart enough to not recommend volumes that are far ahead of what you already bought, but I’ve had a similar experience with 本好きの下剋上. It recommends every new volume that’s released, even 10 volumes beyond what I already bought. So I have to be really careful not to visit the home page. I also had to badger Amazon to remove the cover ads from my Paperwhite for the same reason (I couldn’t pay to have them removed for technical reasons on their end, so I needed to convince them to just remove them for free).

4 Likes

Uh oh. I didn’t realise that everyone started with volume 5 lol. I just finished up my exams so I have some catching up to do, still need to finish up the last couple chapters from volume 4. Be right back :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The thing is that I’ve actually bought stuff based on the recommendations, so I don’t want to completely avoid them. I guess the only option is to buy every volume of Shadow House in advance! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Chapters 55 and 56

Start Date: 2023-02-10T15:00:00Z

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

Seeing some of this week’s material while picking the image for this post, I see I need to hurry and finish up last week’s chapters!

4 Likes

might need an option to drop this haha… i’m never gonna catch up

3 Likes

Hah, I know the pain. I’ve been behind for a while. Still, I’m enjoying the series and learning along the way, which is what matters. So I’ll continue and hopefully catch up at some point, what you decide to do is of course up to you :smiley:

4 Likes

well part of it, not hanging on every page … the ‘want to read’ isn’t happening with this series for me… so that isn’t helping…then the difficulty level is on the higher side for me… but that’s ok…

thinking about finishing vol 4 and maybe putting it down for a while but I suppose I should pick up vol 4 again …

4 Likes

The beginner book club will be starting Komi Can’t Communicate in a week, so perhaps you’d like to give that a read and see if it’s a better pick then?

4 Likes

naw… I have too many other things to read already … I’m not saying this series isn’t good, it is!

for me to get into something I have to find a character that I can identify with, or something that pulls me into the story to maintain my interest… not an easy thing to do :wink:

4 Likes

Hmmm I don’t particularly mind, but when there’s only one person reading along I feel it’s time to think if we need a break to help others catch up, or maybe go for a more informal schedule or something… ?

6 Likes