シャドーハウス Reading Club

I’ve seen people mention this more lately. It used to be just a reminder, is there actually a limit now?

Huh… that’s weird.

L move, discourse.

4 Likes

It’s been limited for years. :laughing:

2 Likes

I swore it said like, hey don’t you think you should let other people post? Or maybe that was when you just had a bunch of posts in a thread but not necessarily in sequence.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s different.

3 Likes

Hmm. I used to always double post, but I guess I didn’t triple post (quadruple post?)

1 Like

Volume two’s thread is now live!

Reading begins this upcoming weekend, on September 9th. The whole volume’s discussion will be in one thread.

I’ve added a content warning for the following week. It’s right below the reading schedule, so be sure to check that out if you normally read in public.

10 Likes

Alright, I’ve been slacking on my Japanese reading for a couple months now, just coasting by with Takagi and Ayumu. But no more! I’m a big fan of the Shadow House anime, so I’m going to join this club and catch up!

I’m making this post as a form of commitment. Now I can’t back out without having to endure the silent judgment of others :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: Sorry for the accidental reply @ChristopherFritz! I always fall for that, using the reply button on the last post instead of the one at the end of the page.

9 Likes

Since you replied to me, I hereby double your commitment!

And for the extra push, if you don’t start reading, you’ll be making someone sad.

(That reminds me, I’ve been mostly slacking off with my reading this past week. Let’s see if I can’t get this week’s Shadows House reading in after work Tuesday!)

10 Likes

Commitment met! I started reading a chapter a day on Wednesday. Then on Friday, the new tablet I bought arrived. Reading on a tablet vs a phone is a revelation! I can’t believe I ever made due with a phone. Being able to turn the tablet horizontally and get two pages that are each bigger than one page on my phone is great, especially for the panels that span two pages. But I usually have the tablet oriented vertically to get really BIG pages. It looks so nice :blush: With how nice reading is now, I couldn’t stop at just one chapter a day!

P.S. This time the reply was intentional, just in case there is any doubt :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

As the end of volume 2 is upon us, when do we want to start volume 3?

• October 22 (no delay)
  • October 29 (one week delay)
  • Other (specific in a comment below)

0 voters

This volume got a bit wordier than the first volume. How is everyone holding up?

• I’m keeping pace each week.
  • I’m falling behind occasionally but mostly keeping pace.
  • I’m falling behind a lot!

0 voters

Edit: I accidentally made these anonymous, so you can feel safe picking whatever =D

5 Likes

I mean. I’m keeping pace each week now after catching up, but did read a good chunk of the volume in one sitting. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

So many people are still reading, but so few people are commenting! Is this typical of recent spinoff book clubs? (I haven’t joined in spinoff club since Aria!)

3 Likes

There’s not much commenting in the Spy Family offshoot, but I think only about 5 readers! When it comes to シャドーハウス, I read ahead so haven’t been commenting so much. But the club will catch me shortly as I decided to wait.

When the club starts volume 3, I’ll actually re-read the first bit as it’s been a while.

6 Likes

I’m up to volume 10, so I definitely won’t be leading any conversations about a chapter. I reread or skimmed some chapters when people had questions/comments, but I’m not planning to reread the whole series or anything like that.

5 Likes

In my experience, it does seem to be typical, although it varies based on who’s reading along and what (if) they post.

I keep going between “just barely caught up” and “only one chapter behind” as I do my no-furigana reading outside of Migaku Reader, so it easily ends up out-of-sight, out-of-mind when I pull up Migaku Reader to get some reading in.

6 Likes

Volume three’s thread is now available:

3 Likes

Did they remove it? :thinking:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/living-in-japan-and-wanikani/59002/22?u=kazzeon

2 Likes

The three-replies-in-a-row limit doesn’t apply to the topic starter. If it did, a lot of study logs would be in trouble :wink:

4 Likes

Aaaah, that must be it, then.

I do have some topics to my name.

2 Likes

I am not sure of the actual limitation, but 3 replies over several days probably isn’t a problem, but rather like 3 replies within hour. Perhaps the real limit is 3 replies in 24 hour?

I haven’t tested myself of 3 replies over several days where I am not OP, though.

lol yeah

2 Likes