シメジシミュレーション | Week 3 Discussion 🍄

Chapter 3: あなほり

Pages 29 - 38

Start Date: 10th October
Last Week: Chapter 2
Next Week: Chapter 4

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along :mushroom:
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

What’s with the final panel of page 29? Is there some kind of visual pun going on here? She’s flattened her head to avoid a low-flying クラブ?

Actually, there’s more than a few puns going on here.

Not to mention a whole lot of… weird.

5 Likes

Same question from me on page 29!

Page 30 - なげやり and やりなげ
I read Majime’s opening なげやり as being linked to her previous use of the word on page 19, and meaning “careless”. Shimeji talks about carelessness being her special skill, but Majime misunderstands her as using the other meaning of なげやり, “javelin”.

Later Shimeji corrects her mental image and says that that is “やりなげ” another word meaning javelin.

Google images seems to show both words as meaning javelin in a sports sense, but I’m getting the feeling of やりなげ being more related to the sport of javelin throwing, and なげやり being more related to use of a javelin as a weapon - jisho also lists it as a “lance”.

Page 34
Majime asks if there are other members in the group. She’s told, “二年の子と三年の子が一人ずついます。” 一人ずつ is listed in jisho as “one by one; one at a time; in turn​”. So is she saying there is one second year student and one third year student?

I’m not sure why this sentence is in present tense as in the next sentence she talks about last year no-one coming and her doing the club activity alone.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird that they both seem to mean javelin, but I’m pretty sure the word being used here is this one. As was brought up in last week’s thread a few minutes ago, this word was used in the previous chapter too.

Exactly.

One presumes they never quit, so they’re technically still in the club. With possibly a bit of denial from sensei.

3 Likes

Well, I guess now I’ll finally be able to remember the 穴 radical. What a weird club. Really loved how it used to be a hole filling club according to the sister, truly the ultimate nonsense club.

6 Likes

I understood it as Shimeji saying that if it would be a javelin-related club, one should use やりなげ, because club needs a “sport” word, not a “weapon” word.
So I think my interpretation is similar to yours :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

This chapter was my favourite so far.

Whole chapter spoilers

I’ve loved the nihilistic reflection about the meaninglessness of school clubs.
And the digging/filling up cycle.
And the 穴見 idea. Sounds more fresh than clichéd 花見. I would participate.

Page 29 question

Bez tytułu

What’s ブカツドー? It seems like it’s connected to the 部活 word, but… :thinking:

6 Likes

I guess it’s 部活動 - Jisho.org

4 Likes

Yes I got the same. This happens often when words that are normally written in hiragana or kanji are written in katakana (this can be used a bit like italics in English, for emphasis etc.)

Where the word ends in an extended vowel sound like -おう or -えい in hiragana it might be written with a vowel extender in katakana, e.g. きれい might be written as キレー.

Jisho won’t recognise the word in the katakana form with the vowel extender, so you have to work out what it would have looked like in hiragana originally, in this case ぶかつどう.

2 Likes

Luckily Jisho shows not only exact matches but also words that start with the search string, which helped me in this case as I started out with ブカツ, and Jisho already showed me 部活動 as the second hit.
(Jisho’s conversion from Katakana to Hiragana does not always work flawlessly, though, so it might sometimes give better results to enter Hiragana or Romaji).

1 Like
Which club would everyone rather join?
  • 穴掘り部
  • 穴埋め部
  • 穴見部
0 voters
7 Likes

I’ll bring the ささかまぼこ if you bring the お酒…

7 Likes

Either my translation is completely off, or I swear I’m going to use the phrase “There’s no need for you to become so oblong” in real life someday.

4 Likes

Aye, that was part of my question in my first post of this thread. Like, is that a common phrase? Is there a euphemistic meaning? A pun? Google’s giving me nothing.

“Oblong” sounds kinda like “obtuse”…

1 Like

I don’t recall that at all. Guess I’m gonna have to rewatch the whole movie. Shucks.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve had a chance to sit down and watch the movie, and I’ve found the letter in question - it’s at about 56:18. I think what it’s saying is that her pose and/or constant vigilance makes her look like a crab, rather than she’s being crabby in the English sense of cranky.

2 Likes

It took me a while to figure out that なげやり isn’t just a na-adjective (like ichi.moe says) but that originally it is a verb:

なげ (from 投げる) + やる ➝ なげやる, which as a noun becomes なげやり.

That explains why it can become a negative conditional in the last panel of page 30!

Apologies if I’m saying something everyone already knows, but I feel like you’ve all been dancing around the two meanings without ever quite saying them outright.

• やりなげ is javelin as in the name of the track and field event (from “spear throwing”)
  • なげやり is the name of the weapon/implement (throwing spear).

so many puns :grin:

6 Likes

Aaaaaaand this is where I became hooked. I am also very chuffed that I’m getting a lot of mileage out of the kanji I know. Yuru Camp is a lot less forgiving in that respect (damn you, camping jargon and place names!).

6 Likes

In my case, the reason for lack of precision is probably my not-nativeness :stuck_out_tongue:
These were the meanings I meant, but from my point of view “track and field event” and “sport thingie” sound like synonyms :wink:
(Well, there’s also the problem with me not being a sport person.)

1 Like