コンビニ人間 🍱 Repeat Book Club

Welcome to the コンビニ人間 Repeat Book Club!

コンビニ人間 by 村田沙耶香むらたさやか is a book about a middle-aged woman who has spent her entire adult life working at a コンビニ. It is a fascinating critique of Japanese social norms and provides a great look into Japanese culture. It was originally read in 2019 by the Intermediate Book Club. This club will follow the old Intermediate Book Club discussions and will target those who are starting to transition from beginner to intermediate level.

Membership

Will you be participating in the コンビニ人間 repeat club?

• Yes, I’ll be reading along for the first time
  • Yes, I’ve already read the book but I’ll be discussing and helping out on the forums

0 voters

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date End Page (PB) End Page (HB) End Kindle Location End Percentage Ebook End Phrase Pages
Week 1 January 9th 18 13 129 9% どんどん大人になっていった。 11
Week 2 January 16th 27 22 229 15% 人間にしているのだった。 9
Week 3 January 23rd 36 31 320 20% 世界を信じている。 9
Week 4 January 30th 49* 44* 461 29% と店長が言った 13
Week 5 February 6th 62 55 575 36% 唇を拭った。 13
Week 6 February 13th 77 70 733 45% 同じ朝を微笑んでいる。 15
Week 7 February 20th 89 82 846 52% へと向かった。 12
Week 8 February 27th 100 92 961 59% 済んだのに、と思った。 11
Week 9 March 6th 111 103 1071 65% 口に運んだ。 11
Week 10 March 13th 121 112 1165 71% 私のかけがえのない同志だった。 10
Week 11 March 20th 134 125 1294 79% 見つめていた。 13
Week 12 March 27th 146 137 1415 86% ぼんやり見上げていた。 12
Week 13 April 3rd 161 151 1562 95% 15
Bonus week April 10th コンビニエンスストア様

Live Readings

The next weekly live reading session will be 2021-01-24T03:00:00Z. Join the Japanese Bookclub Discord to either read or listen!

Where to Buy

Amazon JP | CDJapan | eBookJapan

Resources

Koohi Wordlist (by @Raionus)
Floflo Wordlist (by @Raionus)
Multi-Radical Kanji Search (by @Saimin)
Community Vocab Sheet (by @Tonina)

Old Polls

Would you be interested in participating in weekly or bi-weekly live readings?

• Yes, as a reader
  • Yes, as a listener
  • No

0 voters

How would you prefer to handle the reading schedule?

• Use the Intermediate Book Club’s pace with no alteration
  • Create an optional head start schedule dividing the first three readings in half
  • Use a ramp-up schedule dividing the first few readings in half to get used to the writing style and vocabulary
  • Divide a few of the longer readings in half
  • Divide all readings in half
  • Some other idea (please comment)

0 voters

Would you be interested in joining a コンビ人間 repeat book club?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

12 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: I may well be, depending on various factors, including when we start.

I bought the book ages ago, but after the club finished, so never particularly had the motivation to actually read it. Just gotta find where I put it…

5 Likes

Me! Unfortunately, I just got around to the current intermediate book too late and will never catch up. This one looks like a suitable level for me, so I’d love to do it.

3 Likes

Ooh definitely count me in! I’ve been curious about this book for a while, but since it’d be my first novel in Japanese I think having an active book club would keep me motivated to keep pushing on if it gets tough.

5 Likes

I am definitely interested! I bought the book a while ago to have something to aspire to.

4 Likes

I’m not going to be joining because I read it already but I just wanted to say it’s a great book. I read it around lvl 45-50 and it felt quite easy too.

Also even if you’re not going to do a repeat club the completed threads are still there. I was actually reading them when reading the book (about a year after the book club ended).

3 Likes

I will read the book for sure, planned to do this after I finish my current book - that means, no earlier than in January. So in case the club starts in Jan 2021, or around mid Dec (so I am able to catch up), count me in too!
Ed: forgot to add that I tried to read it with the club at that time, but it was too difficult for me vocab-wise. Hopefully now it goes better

2 Likes

I have the book and already had the old thread bookmarked for when I read it, so being able to participate in a new discussion would be perfect.

2 Likes

I want to try this one too! Didn’t realise they read it in one of the clubs already.

2 Likes

Well this was a well timed thread. I just learned of this book the other day and I was considering reading it, so it’d be nice reading along with others!

6 Likes

I was already planning on reading this book after 魔女の他急便 and I am very happy to be able to read it with others. I would like to add a vocab spreadsheet to the club. I would be doing a it for myself anyway because I am only level 22 and there are a lot of kanji I don’t know. If anyone else is interested we may share it.

7 Likes

I think last time there wasn’t a vocab list because you could prestudy vocab with floflo (now koohi), but if you’re making a spreadsheet anyway yes please share :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s probably because it was read with the intermediate book club before, which doesn’t bother with vocab spreadsheets.

4 Likes

That would be swell! It would certainly help those more toward the beginner side of the beginner/intermediate spectrum and would also make this great book more accessible to others down the line. I would likely throw in some words as well if you want to make it community-editable.

1 Like

Tbh the lack of a vocab sheet is why I’ve not given it a try so far. I am about halfway with kanji as well and it’s still pretty rough trying to read ‘real’ books. But maybe that just means intermediate books are still a bit too difficult for me.

We’ll see. I’ll give it a try. I am really keen to read this book in its own right, not just for Japanese practise, so maybe that is enough motivation to keep me going!

2 Likes

Starting Date

It seems to me like there is definitely a good amount of interest! When would people like to start? I know I can’t wait to get started but we definitely have to allow shipping time at the very least. Once we have a date I will make a home thread for the repeat club. I’ll also look into whether we can use the previous book club forums for discussion like we did for the きき repeat club.

When would you like to start reading?
  • December 12
  • December 19
  • December 26
  • January 2
  • January 9
  • January 16
  • January 23
  • January 30
  • Later

0 voters

4 Likes

Thank you for the tip. I have never used floflo or koohi, but I may give it a try. By the way, I went into koohi and couldn’t see a way to input your wanikani level.

Up to how many answers are we supposed to give?

As many as you’d like, e.g. if you don’t care when we start go ahead and select them all.

1 Like

I am also in for the vocab spreadsheet. Unfortunately floflo does not have this book, which is really a loss for me. Koohi has one Konbini Ningen at koohi, but I do not use this site. Its structure is not suitable for my preferences anyway…
So I will need a vocab list, ready to create one or join if anyone else starts it.

2 Likes