よつばと!Vol 1 Discussion Thread (Beginner's Book Club)

That sounds good. Not sure who Kristen is though?

I think Kristen was the one who toggled the reading club, now that you mention it.

She’s one of the admins. Just tag her with @ space Kristen in the thread without spaces and she’ll get it done.

@Kumirei @fl0rm Thanks for the heads up you two. Bat signal activated.

I finished volume 2 last week and I’ll check the thread from time to time to see if I can help (and maybe learn something I missed). With that said, I didn’t enjoy the first two volumes enough to justify buying more. It was funny on occasion, but it wasn’t quite challenging enough or entertaining enough overall.

Did someone say volume 2? :eyes:

1 Like

nope 248874616142036992

:anguished:

Indeed they did!
It looks set to start on January 14th!
I can’t tell you how happy I am!

2 Likes

I think this word appears elsewhere, but I’ve noticed it on p. 190: “そっと” means ‘gently; smoothly’, “sotto” is Italian (?) meaning ‘softly’. False cognates, or should the word technically be in katakana?

False cognate, I’m pretty sure. I believe そ is a sound-symbolism and っと is the quoting particle.

My dictionary has そっと as a single word, but you’re probably correct about the false cognate.

Page 56

I’ve just come across a picture from Yotsuba on a lesson about ここ、そこ、あそこ、どこ。
And reading it again, I realise how funny her sentence sounds - ここはどこだ!?
Brilliant!

2 Likes

I know this question is months old, but I just finished reading vol. 1 and this thread, and I loved both. Almost every question I had was answered here. This is a question, however, that I believe I can answer. I’m not that fluent in Japanese but I do have a lot of experience with Japanese children’s songs, and I believe よつば is making up her own song about the free egg probably using the melody and part of a line from どんぐりころころ, which is a super popular kid’s song.

Here’s a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3cPq5vmXng

and the line early in the song about an acorn’s adventures is “おいけにはまって…さあたいへん!”

10 Likes

Amazing! Who’d have thought?! Thank you so much @Sezme for posting this!

1 Like

I’ve been studying Japanese for a while, then stopped and forgot a lot. I’m back since January this year.

I purchased Yotsuba the other day (my first book in japanese!) following the recommendations on this forum. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to understand any of it but I figured “why not”.
I just read the first chapter, and although the first 15 pages or so were rather difficult for me, I was DELIGHTED to find out that I could understand a lot of what was going on!

This made me feel really good, thanks to everyone who recommended it!

8 Likes

I finished chapter two last night, after several months of focusing on other things (like graded readers). Managed to read the entire chapter in one evening, which is probably the most I’ve read of native japanese material in a single sitting ever!

It really does make you feel good when you’re able to figure stuff out. To me, nothing is better than that moment when a joke clicks, where you understand some bit of wordplay and the lightbulb goes on. Even if it’s the most basic of gags, it seems like the pinnacle of enlightenment when you don’t know the language :smile:

10 Likes

I know everyone’s moved on to Volume 3 and I’m late in the game of joining but I do have a question on chapter 2 page 83 when ふうか says

つっかえってうごかなくなっちゃったんです

What does she mean by なっちゃったん?

Side note: Reading this thread on my journey through volume one has been so helpful! Every time I get stuck on a grammar point, I find that someone also had a similar issue and my questions gets answered! Love all the support here! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

動かなくなってしまったのです: I got stuck…

動かなく - Immovable
なって - become
しまった - have done (connotation of completion or regret)
のです - explain something; give reasons
(Because) I became immovable…

なっ → なっ
てしまった → ちゃった (informal)
のです → んです (informal)

なっちゃったんです :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see now. Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

In chapter 3, page 100 あさぎ says

二階にいるわ遊んでもらいなさい

Is she ordering よつば to go upstairs and play with