Pages 63 - 87

Chapter 3: ふもとのソロキャンガール

Start Date: 16th May
Last Week: Chapter 2
Next Week: Chapter 4

Laid-Back Camp

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

一束 already came up in a previous chapter but somehow I missed that it’s read ひとたば. I’d assumed on’yomi.

1 Like

I’ve been reading it as いっそく, but I just looked it up in jisho.org and it lists ひとたば as an alternative.

This week’s real world connection: The campsite that Rin visits is Fumotoppara Campground. The web address that Saito gives on page 85 doesn’t exist - the real place’s actual address is https://fumotoppara.net/

Page 76 is my favourite bit, so far. :slightly_smiling_face:

Le gif

UnawareGlisteningAstrangiacoral-size_restricted

14 Likes

Those readings are functionally different. いっそく is a noun and stands by itself. ひとたば is a counter, and will thus be connected to a noun.
Of course, there are blurry cases where it could be either. I just started reading, so I don’t know the context yet. (Edit: it’s the たば one)

I just came here to say that the stretching on page 66 (static stretching) is bad practice. It will loosen the joints, decreasing max strength and increasing the risks of injuries. You want to use that kind of stretching at the end, to stretch the muscles and preventing soreness. At the beginning, you want to do a proper warm up and dynamic stretching. Like ラジオ体操 or something.
/rant

Edit to avoid multiple posts:
P75 下の方引っこ抜きてぇ
#hardrelate
… I want to play some jenga now.

12 Likes

Page 82, third panel, any thoughts on へっぷし? I tried Googling for it, but Google only defines うでっぷし instead, and it’s not in the SFX dictionary I use either.

Page 83, Nadeshiko knows Rin’s name without ever being told it. At least, not on-screen.

5 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up! Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Sounds like a sneeze to me :thinking: I didn’t think too much about it.

7 Likes

Yeah, I checked the anime. She’s sneezing.

5 Likes

The closest I’ve been able to get is a sense of some kind of ejection from the mouth. The pic below is one of many sneezing-type photos I came across, but little to no text to back it up. Some subspecies of sneeze? I dunno, it’s all I’ve got.

6 Likes

Page 77, second panel: 犬どもに昼メシにされそうになった

I’m having some trouble with this sentence (I’m looking at you, passive voice). First I thought she was saying that (lit.) “dogs to be done lunch seeming became” or something among “the dogs appear to have had lunch”. Found later that the expression verb stem + そうになった “almost/nearly did X”. So is she saying that “dogs to be done lunch nearly” or “the dogs nearly had lunch”?

7 Likes

She is saying “I almost became (those) dogs’ lunch”.
(Lit: It seemed like I was (going to be) made into lunch by those dogs)

14 Likes

Somehow I completely ignored the に after 犬ども. This makes so much sense now, thank you!

4 Likes

The more I read this in Japanese, the less impressed I am with the Yen Press translation. There’s a number of lines in this chapter translated noticeably weirdly - this one in particular was rendered “These dogs look like they want lunch.” It’s like… why would she text that to Saito?

On the next page, “upside-down Fuji” has become “Mount Fuji from the back”

12 Likes

This chapter was very healing and フワフワ = w =

Page 78
「日が暮れてだから池に落ちる所しか想像できん」
I can’t make sense of the 落ちる所しか part (the only place that is falling down?). What does it mean? I figure the first and last parts of the sentence is, “Since the sun is setting, I can’t imagine…”

8 Likes

Nしか + negative verb = “nothing (verbs) except (noun)”.

So basically, “after the sun has set, I can’t imagine myself doing anything except falling in the pond”. Except that’s a fairly clumsy wording in English, so it’s usually heavily paraphrased.

I’m… honestly not entirely sure what aspect of 所 is in play here. Some kinda of nominaliser, I guess?

6 Likes

Note that there’s no だ.

It’s definition 2エ here:

“Sight/scene/situation”

9 Likes

How does upside-down Fuji make any sense?

1 Like

Ah, it’s reflected in the pool. It’s a photo opp to get one of those reflection images.

6 Likes

Aye, the next panel shows Rin taking a photo of upside-down Fuji (the カシャ bubble next to her elbow is the camera shutter sound), though the reflection is pretty subtle. It’s a bit more obvious in the anime:

Also, how does “Mount Fuji from the back” make sense? Which side’s the front? :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes