ゆるキャン△ Vol. 7 🏕

Ooo. I did not know that.

2 Likes

This is riffing on キノの旅, a show about a biker and her talking motorbike as they go on episodic adventures where they explore different towns and countries in a fantasy world. I recall there being some joke made comparing the series to Rin.

She’s a rabid little food gremlin and I love her for it. She even talks about how Rin’s way to pass the time while solo camping was with reading and how her own is, naturally, going to involve food lmao

I’m also impressed/intimidated by seeing okonomiyaki that gets MOUNTAINS of stuff piled onto it. I’ve been making okonomiyaki at home since it’s fairly easy, cheap, and filling, but the hardest part is def flipping things. I’m assuming the yakisoba is already cooked and is just added to get warmed up on the griddle?

3 Likes

I’ve seen that. I distinctly don’t recall any episodes set in East Japan, West Japan or overseas. I really do feel like it’s meant to be a travel documentary, like last chapter’s カド街/アド街 or something.

Oh I just noticed the post for the next chapter is not up yet. This post is about chapter 38.

Did I understand that correctly the road has been closed for over 10 years, because it was damaged all the time by typhoons and the city did not think it was worth it?

For the bear hand recipe you really need to whole day, I wonder how bear hand tastes Oo.

So do you guys think both Rin and Nadeshikos sister will show up at the camping ground?

1 Like

Never fear, the next poll is here!

38 - 静かの湖

Start date: May 8th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:
0 voters
5 Likes

This week’s chapter is the second quarter of anime episode 8. These chapters are taking up less time in the episode as we go along (my approximation of last chapter taking up a third of this episode was a little off).

As foreshadowed last week, Rin finds herself here - curiously in the Google Street View image, the right tunnel is closed, while the left remains open. Not entirely sure from the overhead view where the right tunnel even goes, and tragically this is the point where Street View stops. Maybe it just goes straight to the power plant that’s slightly to the right.

As Rin points out, going through the left tunnel can take you to Yashajin Pass, but as Google prefers to take you the long way around, I have to eyeball the shortest route, and the shortest route appears to be this.

Rin doesn’t show us what’s down the right-hand tunnel either - at the top of the very next page, she’s here, which is back to the south, where she came from in the first place, except she’s turned around her and is heading north again…

Well, her next stop is Lake Amehata. The not-school is here, though I can’t tell if it’s actually part of Villa Amehata, or just standing next to it (bonus shot).

As Rin points out, the way to Lake Ikawa is shut - the current terminus of the northern half of the road is here (and I’m a little surprised it’s actually marked on Google Maps). With enough convincing, you can actually get Google Maps to give the direct path between the two lakes - but, since it takes close to four hours to drive a mere sixty kilometres, that’s probably why Google wants to take you the long way around. (Fun fact: Ikawa Lake is the northern terminus of the Oigawa Railway, which I’ve been rather wanting to ride…)

The suspension bridge that entertains Rin so is here - along with the animal path on the other side, there’s also a sign saying “wildlife protection area”.

Meanwhile, Sakura is at Yamato Wild Game. The entrance pictured on page 92 isn’t visible in the Street View which was taken in 2014, but it is in this image (plus, the streetscape on page 93 matches this place). And today I learnt the word ジビエ. And also “gibier”.

Rin returns to Villa Amehata on page 96, which I linked above (the not-school).

And for a chapter that took so little time in the anime, this sure took a lot of words.

Page 104, some sort of Secret Society BLANKET secret ritual? Love how the younger girl spots that right away.

Proper nouns

Page 85:
雨畑湖=あめはたこ (though that was weirdly difficult to get the IME to produce)

Page 89:
井川湖=いかわこ

Part of the Ofunato train line in Iwate Prefecure was taken out by the Great East Japan Earthquake back in 2011, and remains unrepaired to this day, ten years later - they’ve replaced it with a Bus Rapid Transit system. And that wasn’t even a recurring event. Sometimes it just ain’t all that cost-effective to fix things.

After reading that recipe, I don’t particularly want to know any more. All I can think about is boiled hair.

8 Likes

This area with the tunnel really has some atmosphere, looks like something from a Ghibli movie.

5 Likes

Oh, quite. I thought so too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s so freaking picturesque. Insanely cozy vibes in that stretch of road.

This visual-heavy chapters are v nice to read through if only because there’s a certain ethereal quality in the way that Afro-sensei captures environments. I’ve been getting into a lot of Sengoku Jidai content lately and it’s always interesting to think about how these winding river/mountain paths were manuevered before the advent of vehicles.

also bear why pls no

3 Likes

Oof, I’m quite late this week, sorry.

39 - 一人のキャンプ

Start date: May 15th

0 voters

5 Likes

This week’s chapter is the remainder of anime episode 8.

No locations to comment on this week - everything takes place in Nadeshiko’s vicinity, and I linked that last week.

Page 107, what’s this グミ thing that requires only five seconds to cook? The dictionary says “oleaster”, which clarifies basically nothing for me (and also “gummi”, as in gummi bears, but it’s probably not that). (Also, Yen Press has translated 湿らせた新聞紙とアルミホイル as “a mix of foil and newspaper”. Did… did Ms Tamosaitis misread that first kanji as 混? But even so, what is she imagining that 混らせた is supposed to be read as?)

Page 109, today I realised that the “younger girl” I mentioned last week is actually a younger boy…

Page 112, is it possible the avocado is fairly average because she’s presumably pulling it off at the 30-minute mark despite it only listed as requiring ten minutes to cook? I wouldn’t really know. I find avocado to be fairly average either way.

Page 113, for some reason, it never really ocurred to me that the ~ぽい suffix might actually have a negative conjugation. Had to look up what ぽくない was supposed to be.

Page 123, probably a good thing that the reception is iffy in this area, because if they’d received Nadeshiko’s message here, it would have given the whole game away.

Page 132, heh, the scooter’s gradually getting more and more irritated.

6 Likes

Last main story chapter of the book… already?? How far behind am I.

40 - 野クルの伊豆キャン計画

Start date: May 22nd

0 voters

5 Likes

This week’s chapter largely comprises about the first fifth of anime episode 9, save that (a) anything relating to the firewood distribution, both directly and peripherally, has been omitted, and (b) the scene with Ena at the kombini has been moved to the end of the episode, after the closing credits.

Back at school again. No new locations to report. Well, except for wherever Aki and Toba-sensei go on page 151-153, but that’s generic enough that I wouldn’t have a hope of guessing where it is, save that it’s somewhere near Ochii Station. Hmm.

Page 136, the firewood distribution is real, though the latest batch is already finished (a bit over a month ago, actually).

Page 144, the Yen Press edition has, not for the first time, rendered 下田 as “Kusada”. Dear Ms Tamosaitis, there are many cities, towns and villages in Japan named 下田. Not one of them is named くさだ. It’s しもだ, every single time. くさ isn’t even a reading for 下.

Page 149, this may be the first time I’ve ever seen two characters share a birthday, and it actually gets brought up in the work.

Page 150, Oshio Heihachiro was a revolutionary against the Tokugawa Shogunate.

Page 154, until I watched the anime, I genuinely had no idea who Ena was speaking to here. Guess it had been a while since I saw her in the appropriate context…

Proper nouns

Page 136 (the shot of the website down the bottom):
韮崎=にらさき
栄=さかえ

Page 150:
大塩平八郎=おおしろへいはちろう

Page 153:
落居=おちい

Nooo.

That’s a good question. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Page 150 was hilarious :joy: First their expressions then the “大塩コンビ”.

Page 143, I want to make this kind of expression too, but hoooow ;-;

Her face is literally c: or ÒuÓ

6 Likes

What’s the number of the last manga page of the 番外編?

1. But don’t forget to read the inside-cover strips too. :slightly_smiling_face:
2 Likes

Now I wont forget. :smiley:

However I’m a bit confused. :sweat_smile: Either I’m missing pages or the reading schedule is wrong. With the 2 pages inbetween chapters and the last page being 176 I’m counting 20 pages, not 32.

Well, I got my answer: I was almost two volumes behind. I have now reached the first chapter of this volume, so I’m a bit less than one volume behind :upside_down_face:
One thing that I realized recently while reading ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 is that I hate reading manga on a screen. It made it painfully obvious that it’s the reason why I’m not enjoying ゆるキャン△ so much right now. I guess I have to buy the remaining volumes again, in paper format this time…

番外編 - へやキャン△

Start date: May 29th

0 voters

5 Likes

I think nobody confirmed the page numbers, so I just left the page count as it was for the last volume as a best guess.

3 Likes

And I’m caught up! Weeeeeeee!
It’s been 84 years…

5 Likes