Aaaand done for now.

番外編 - へやキャン△

Start date: February 19th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

2 Likes

Heh, I was pondering as I picked up this volume to start reading whether one of Aki’s freaky dreams was going to show up, and in number 99, they’re talking about them. How very meta.

For number 100, 山梨百名山. Casting my eyes over the list, I think the only one of those we’ve actually seen characters in this manga ascend is Mount Minobu (number 45), and Nadeshiko wasn’t with them that chapter. (What’s Fuji-san doing at number 54? How is this sorted?) For a more recent connection, Mount Mizugaki is there at 78, but the characters didn’t climb it (and again, Nadeshiko wasn’t there).

The images that Nadeshiko uses as proof of her claim are 大菩薩嶺だいぼさつれい (number 1), アサヨみね (number 31), 北岳きただけ (number 34) and 岩殿山いわどのさん (number 15). And I love how each mountain picked uses a different word for the “mountain” part of the name.

Number 106, I love how the artichokes are going “ciao” instead of コンニチハ like the pine cones do. - modern use of artichokes in cooking first began in Italy in the 15th to 16th centuries.

Number 107, I think I’ve linked all five of the Fuji Five Lakes previously - in case you’ve forgotten the readings, they are, in order, もとすこ, しょうじこ, さいこ, かわぐちこ. I presume Lake Yamanaka is being left out because they already made the comparison to chicken when they camped there. (What was it, again? Whole roast chicken?)

Nooooo…

4 Likes

Now the waiting begins!

4 Likes

5 Likes

Wow it feels like the end of an era. I feel like I’ve been reading this as long as I’ve been reading Japanese (I’m pretty sure it was the second thing I ever picked up, right after the first couple volumes of Yotsuba).

Thanks again @Belthazar for the weekly trips. And thanks Rin, Nadeshiko, and all the Campers for helping me stay positive during a tough 2020. I hope to see you all for volume 13!

5 Likes

Soon™

Actually soon.