ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 7 Discussion 🧹

Chapter 6: 魔術講座

Start Date: 30th November
Last Week: Chapter 5
Next Week: Chapter 7 (volume two)

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series, like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping the book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

10 Likes

Welp, I did’t think I’ve ever see furigana written smaller than Aria does it, but I’d have to say that GWゴールデンウィーク probably takes the cake.

Page 156, I’m curious as to whether Makoto’s sister knew that using a witch’s hair in the spell would have that result - she’s already starting to draw the teleportation circle before Makoto’s even broken out of her shock. Also, where did her backpack come from? Did she summon it between panels?

9 Likes

Finished! Asked Dude a few questions about some things and thought I’d share them.

P 142

「あがりっ」 Chinatsu says this when she wins at Old Maid. I understood that it meant that she won, but I’ve very rarely encountered someone who says it. Dude says that it’s mostly only said for tabletop games like card games and board games.

Question p147

In the under the table shot panel, 「教えたげる」. Is this just a shortening of 「教えてあげる」? It seems to make the most sense.

8 Likes

Is that the name of that game in English? The one I know in French would have to be blipped out :joy: (or maybe not, it’s not so bad, but vulgar nonetheless).

I guess she remembered when she saw the black smoke. She probably realized she made an oopsie and started drawing the portal. She may have summoned her stuff from thin air as well, it’s not clear either.

Anyway, that’s one wild sibling :p. It’s really strange to see the contrast between the ever polite まこと and her sister.

11 Likes

Calling someone and “old maid” is rude, but not bleep-out worthy. It’s a normal children’s game. XD

1 Like

Oh! I didn’t realize “old maid” would be rude :joy: but now I get it. The name I had in mind is worse… but checking online it’s actually a different game. It’s been a long time since I was a kid, and I’m starting to mix up my games :crazy_face:
This game is called literally “fleabag” in French, which isn’t so bad.
(The name I had in mind was “A**hole”, but again that’s a different game)

7 Likes

And my favorite character finally arrives!

For anyone interested, after reading this chapter, you can now safely watch episode three of the anime without spoiling the manga… But you can’t watch episode two, since it includes a chapter from the second volume! (Not that this is the sort of story that can really be ‘spoiled’ much anyway.) Of course, if you’re not planning on reading future volumes, that doesn’t really matter :slight_smile:

10 Likes

why do they print stuff too small to read ugh…

can’t figure this one out… Page 139 bottom last panel…
trying to read this tiny tiny tiny thing… I think the kanji is this

大示勹

but can’t find it in any dictionary… tried

大示々 but that wasn’t help either…

1 Like

My feelings exactly >.<

It is actually 奈々(Nana)

I believe this refers to Chinatsu and Kei’s Mother, 倉本 奈々 (Kuramoto Nana). (that’s why it is followed by さ~ん).

4 Likes

I had found the nana in the English translation but couldn’t find anything in a dictionary. Haven’t seen this one before and not growing up in Japan…Also didn’t call my own grandmother nana…haha the only term I’d see was おばあさん omg this is too cute…the ime keyboard sometimes the icons that pop up… :older_woman: haha anyway… thanks for clearing this up … a little disappointed in jisho for not having this one though…

Hmmm English is not my native language, so I’m not sure if you are making a pun or something… but Jisho does have Nana, but only lists it under the “#names” category. It is not a nickname (nor am I sure how it is related to grandmothers… )

2 Likes

You found it! thanks!

wasn’t making a pun… Don’t know about other countries but grandparents often have terms that they want to be called by their grandchildren… sometimes it’s grandma, sometimes it’s, nana, just depends…and if that’s what she called her as a child, then it wouldn’t be uncommon to use the term as an adult.

But I think it was confusing because nana is a common word used by kids in the US to address their grandmothers… where in this case it’s a name :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, aye, Nana is her name. I guess the waters are muddied a bit by the fact that Makoto calls the father “Papa-san”, but the giveaway is that 奈 is frequently used in girls’ names to make the sound “na”.

4 Likes

Speaking of tiny lettering, I’m wondering what this is:

Edit: I wonder if, on page 140, it’s the negative of the word 楽しむ or 楽しめる :thinking:

Edit 2: p140 – 桜祭りは小学生以来ですよぉ = The cherry blossom festival exists since I was an elementary school student?

2 Likes

She said また変なのきた…

I don’t have the book with me, so I can’t check the next one.

The third one: she hasn’t been to the festival since elementary school.

7 Likes

Yep. “Another weird one came”.

7 Likes

I snerk-laughed when I read that line.

3 Likes
p143

可愛い妹が元気にやってるか気になってさ来ちゃったのよ。

Why is 気になる in te form? And what is さ doing there?

p144

魔女界じゃ有名人なんですよ。

じゃ here = combination of ‘de’ and ‘wa’ particles?

p147

基本的なことでもいいからやっていこうって話。
Everything after こと is kinda blurry. Especially the って話. What is it doing here?

p148

この魔女術は昔の魔女がよく使ってたものでね。
What’s もので doing here?

1 Like

This is the て form behaving as a weak conditional, I’d say (i.e. “because”). The さ is just a filler noise. “You know” sort of thing.

Yep.

~てもいい = it’s alright if
から = because
やっていく = do it (going forwards)

I think, but I’m not sure, that って話 is something like “… is how it is”

What she’s saying is that even if it’s just basic spells, Makoto needs to keep practicing.

It helps if you break the sentence up like this:

この魔女術は [昔の魔女がよく使ってた] ものでね

This spell is something (that witches from long ago often used).

Noun-modifying phrases can be fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Got it. Thanks.

1 Like