ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 4 Discussion 🧹

Chapter 3: 国鳥は鳴き止まない

Start Date: 9th November
Last Week: Chapter 2
Next Week: Chapter 4

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series, like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping the book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

9 Likes

That feeling of relief when you realize Makoto has no idea either '>.<

19 Likes

Also tagging @Belthazar

By the way, you can find the rules in the Wikipedia article on that accent:
津軽弁 - Wikipedia

Especially the 発音 helps get many words back to standard Japanese.

6 Likes

This might be the same accent used in the beginning of 霧のむこうのふしぎな町. :thinking: If so it could be good practice.

(All I got out of the father’s dialogue on pages 64-65 was いい in a couple places :sweat_smile:)

@2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz Also, Makoto’s eyes in the panel above that one. I can relate.

7 Likes

For those curious about the 知っていればいるほど on page 72: https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n3-grammar-ばほど-bahodo/

I’ve known this grammar point for a while, including that for する verbs you only repeat the する, not the whole thing (e.g. 勉強すればするほど). But this was the first time I ever saw this with a verb in ている form. So now I know that in that case you only repeat the いる the second time, not the whole verb.

10 Likes

This reminded me that my Osakan husband likes to tease me. I learned a lot of my Japanese by imitation and we live in Gifu, so I’ve picked up the southern Gifu dialect. It resembles Kansai-ben, but the intonation is different. When we go to Osaka to see his family, he often teases my Gifu-isms. XD

Anyway, I now know the difference between なまり and 方言.

4 Likes

I started reading a bit before Radish posted the thread with the warning about the accent, and I was like…

9 Likes

And that is?

2 Likes

方言 is more like the words used/word choice plus the intonation and stuff

なまり is more like just the intonation and the way you say the words.
For example, standard Tokyo-ben uses しゃべってる but here in Gifu and further west we say しゃべっとる. It’s the same word, but we use と instead of て to conjugate present continuous form. Dude also said Osaka and Gifu have different なまり because in Osaka the have a raising intonation on the べ where in Gifu we go down on the べ and up on the っと.

4 Likes

This probably makes sense when you consider that なまり relates to the verb 訛る / なまる, and thus would refer to the actual action of speaking (intonation and way of saying), whereas 方言 would be more about the concept of the actual words chosen.

Maybe.

Possibly.

3 Likes

For anyone who’s curious about what Chinatsu’s father is saying on page 64, I hope I have it all correct on the vocabulary sheet. (Lots of basic research.) I fear that if I continue and try to figure/add his vocabulary on page 65, I’ll soon forget all standard Japanese and instead will only know a little 津軽弁(つがるべん).

8 Likes

Nice! I was thinking of posting something similar, but you beat me to it :smiley:
I won’t have time until Monday evening, but if no one has taken care of the next few times he speaks (well, after that it’s fairly straightforward; I think this time is extra confusing to establish his character).

5 Likes

For anyone still having trouble with his dialogue, I’ve put together a translated image for pages 64 and 65. I am confident I’ve properly captured what he’s saying.

Hidden for spoilers

17 Likes

I died.

5 Likes

This was great until I got to page 65 and died…then yeah for Chinatsu and the last panel…

I think I get what he’s saying but struggling a little so why not ask :slight_smile:

Page 67 or p67

オレもさ = me also/too
農家の息子としては = as for the farmers son

then it sort of falls apart…

ちょっとはそっちの知識 = as for a little / that knowledge

then I think the wheels came off hehe this one gets me puzzled
入れときてぇし (not confident at all how this is parsed - this is from ichimoe)
入れ = to insert
と = if/when
きて= coming
ぇし = no idea…???

sort of literal…
I also being a farmers son … little bit of that knowledge … when to come put in
The English on BL was of little help

not sure where he said he needs to learn the tricks of the trade … parsing guru sempais… 手伝ってもらいますか。お願いします。

2 Likes

The English translation is correct.

As (として) the son (息子) of (の) a farmer’s family (農家)

A little of that knowledge/knowledge related to that

That part is slurred, which is why you are having trouble I guess.

入れておきといいし (not 100% sure if it shouldn’t be おき or おく, but the meaning is the same)
(Put that knowledge inside (one’s head) = learn)
おく: do in advance for the future
といい: it is/would be good
し: also/because

I’d say that a little more literal translation would that “as the son of a farmer’s family, it’s a good idea to learn some related knowledge just in case, too”

12 Likes

For what it’s worth, I parsed it as 入れておきたいし.

5 Likes

Oh, that explains better the おき, indeed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. :smiley:

Man, that なまり though… I’m very thankful 千夏 translated that part for us.

And with that we’re already half way through the book. :smile:

4 Likes

Another question… though thankfully I’ve figured out a few of Keikun’s slurred speech…

this might be a dumb question hehehe…but eh…why not ask…

Page 73

Kei says…

ちょっと休憩すっべ

I realize he’s say’s let’s take a little break … but the ending has me puzzled… すっべ Pretty sure it’s some contraction/slurred something…but what?

2 Likes