ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 3 Discussion 🧹

Chapter 2: 道草は万能薬

Start Date: 2nd November
Last Week: Chapter 1 Part 2
Next Week: Chapter 3

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series, like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping the book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

11 Likes

Well, somehow this chapter felt very appropriate for a day after Halloween…

6 Likes

This chapter has the best art :grin:

@2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz we seem to have accidentally timed this one very well. Our next book, however, is set during the summer holidays… (so I guess it works for those in the southern hemisphere!)

5 Likes

Works for me =^.^=

3 Likes

If anyone wonders, (near the end) the scream of the mandrake ends with
阿亜. Both kanji are read あ.

12 Likes

A quick note about the vocab sheet: thank you to everyone who has been contributing! The more people contribute, the better and more useful it is ^^

Could you please make sure that you’re:

• inputting the dictionary form
  • leaving the kanji column blank if that’s how the word appears in the manga (if it would usually be written with kanji you could comment that in the notes column)
  • not inputting words if you don’t know what they are - it’s better to ask people here! sometimes the unknown words have been parsed incorrectly, which is more confusing than helpful
  • keeping the definitions streamlined; do trim them if they exceed one column width
7 Likes

For anyone interested, the first episode of the anime covers the first two chapters of the manga, so if you’re done with this week’s reading, you can watch that episode of the anime without getting ahead (with the caveat that the opening–which plays at the end of episode one instead of the beginning–does show some characters who haven’t been introduced yet, and some that won’t show up until future volumes. Not exactly spoilers, but just FYI.)

12 Likes
Comments on the chapter

Not surprisingly, I keep making comparisons to 魔女の宅急便. I’m thinking about how Kiki went out on her own at age 13 and was basically working for a living. Meanwhile, at age 15, Makoto is only allowed to move to another town to go to high school, living with relatives no less. Oh how witch society has fallen.

Also, someone needs to make this their profile picture (spoilers)

12 Likes

Not going to lie, I thought about it for Halloween. But I was too lazy to add the rainbow flare, and now Halloween is gone.

8 Likes

Page 40, panel 3: The vocab sheet lists just わけ, but isn’t it supposed to be わけじゃない?It means “it does not mean that…” or “I don’t mean that…” or “it is not the case that…”

The whole sentence is 別に怖いわけじゃないっての。I’m guessing that the rest of it is parsed this way:
って - indicates certainty, insistence, emphasis etc.
の - (at sentence-end, falling tone) indicates a confident conclusion.

Also, in case anyone was wondering what ってば (p40, panel 4) means, according to jisho, it’s:

• indicates emotional closeness or annoyance with someone
  • indicates annoyance (in sentence-final position)

Edit: p41 - 常識に囚われるな Is this “Follow common sense” or “Don’t…” I thought that the na is just for emphasis (but the fan translation translates it as the latter).

Edit 2: p42 (last panel): 社会にも出るんです。What is the mo doing here? Maybe it’s the

• (it’s not possible) no matter what
  • although one might wish otherwise
    meaning of にも?

Edit 3: There’s a casual contraction of the grammar point ておく(do to something in advance) to とく on p43 for anyone that’s interested. Maggie Sensei link.

4 Likes

It’s “don’t”. The な is a negation.

It’s the basic も, meaning “as well”.
社会に出る means “to become an active member of society” (“as well”, in this case)

5 Likes

Thanks @Naphthalene.

p45: そんなアバウト - so vague or such a sloppy (person)? :thinking: Think it’s the latter.

2 Likes

Based on the flow of the conversation, I’d say Nao is complaining that the rule for secrecy, or possibly Makoto’s understanding of it (that final きっと is killer :p) is pretty rough/sloppy.

3 Likes
Page 43

Long sentence…
でも 私の両親が今の時代。。。魔女は色々不安定だからどう転んでもいいように高校だけは出ときなさいって言うんです

でも - but
私の両親が今の時代。。。- my parents in this age…
魔女は色々不安定だから - because there are many insecurities
どう転んでもいいように - not sure what to make of this…
高校だけは出ときなさい - leave school or something? I’m not sure how to incorporate ときなさい, ichi.moe says [to do in advance / to leave in the current state expecting a later change]
って言うんです - said

So my understanding at the moment is roughly “My parents said there are many insecurities(?) but don’t go to high school” but I doubt thats anywhere near whats actually said.

The other sentences on that page were fine… at least it feels like I was able to make sense out of them. That’s enough pages for now, though. Maybe a couple more later or tomorrow. Lots of long and exhausting sentences. :cold_sweat:

2 Likes
Long post, so I'm gonna do a collapse

How I (literally) parse it:

どう転んでもいいように
So that it comes out well no matter what happens

db8606ef0b

And from the vocab sheet:

どう転んでも どうころんでも to turn out; to play out​ 43 can just be 転ぶ, but this meaning is often written like this

Edit:

出でる can also mean “to graduate” (20th definition on jisho :roll_eyes:) . So I think this part means: “At least finish high school” with the implication of “Just in case” from the -とく (which is a casual contraction of ておく- to do something in advance).

6 Likes

Thank you!
I also just checked the anime and there the English voice says “But my parents say that nowadays the life of a witch is full of uncertanties so they want me to attend high school first before heading out.” and the subtitles read “But since just being a witch isn’t exactly stable these days, my parents want me to finish high school.”

And because I was curious I checked the fan translation of the manga and they have it all wrong: “But my parents… are kind of wary of witches in this era. They told me that whatever happens, I should stay away from high school.”
So I’d recommend staying away from a least that fan translation on bilingiualmanga.

14 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I wonder if the translator thought Nao was saying that line instead of Makoto. The “wary” part of the translation makes me think that. But that’s why it’s important to recognize how different characters speak (in general and to other specific characters). Just from a few pages it’s obvious that Makoto speaks to Nao using polite form (です and ます), whereas Nao speaks in plain form to Makoto. This in itself should make it obvious that Makoto is the one saying the line.

I had a similar experience with fan translations. I tried looking at one for ご注文はうさぎですか, and I noticed enough obvious mistakes that I knew I couldn’t rely on it for the parts I didn’t understand.

11 Likes

You guys are right! I asked a native speaker about why something was translated a particular way and it clearly was wrong…they were a little annoyed haha …

The forums are the place to go! WKFTW!

6 Likes

So searched and didn’t see any page 41 stuff but then realized some people are putting pages as just “p” p41! yikes…need to be careful…I may have already almost posted in the wrong thread for the last chapter… hehe … :smirk: …but there’s no proof it ever happened :innocent:

anyway … but still didn’t see this one so going to ask

Page 41 or p41 for some

がっこつけんな
The vocab sheet has this as coming from かっこい and as a verb かっこつける (to try to look good)

But then the fan translation says something very strange (assuming it’s a liberal translation)…
“you said nothing of the sort, don’t bluff”…

But I read it as don’t try to make yourself look good …

Did I get this right or am I way off?

1 Like

It’s from the verb 格好をつける (just shortened), with the な at the end to mean “don’t”. So I think your understanding is fine. You could probably also translate it as “don’t show off”, which isn’t really any different from your translation. Bluff doesn’t make sense at all.

Well, there’s another point against fan translations.

5 Likes