ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 2 | Chapter 8 🧹

Chapter 8: 桜の中の占い師

Start Date: 22nd February
Last Week: Chapter 7
Next Week: Chapter 9

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

9 Likes

Hi!

I’ve been updating the vocab sheet while I’m reading, please let me know if I’m doing it wrong :sweat_smile:

I’m having a bit of trouble with a word on page 38: I think it says 軍資金, but the furigana doesn’t match what Jisho gives me… おこづかい in the book, and ぐんしきん on Jisho…
I couldn’t find it in a dictionary with the book’s pronunciation, so drew it with the Chinese keyboard on my phone – so maybe I didn’t transcribe it right? Or maybe it’s dialect again… :woman_shrugging:

Another one on page 38: Jisho gives me two different definitions for 稼ぐ. In this context is it to earn (income) or to work hard (at one’s job)?
Am I right in understanding 汗水垂らして稼いで kind of like “hard earned”?

On page 41: I’m not sure which Jisho definition works best for 迷う… to give into temptation?

2 Likes

p.38 This is a great way that written Japanese can convey two meanings at once. おこづかい has completely different kanji, it’s not a way to normally read 軍資金.

Oh interesting, I didn’t realise it had more than one meaning :sweat_smile:
I kind of think it implies both: the parents worked hard to earn the money. And the kids are going to show their appreciation by making sure they spend it having a very good time. :grin:

p.41 I think it is the first definition of 迷う, to lose one’s way, given there is a running joke about how bad Makoto’s sense of direction is. So I think she got lost in the haunted house, making it even scarier for the others than it would have been if they’d just gone straight through it.

4 Likes

Haven’t gotten round to reading through again with a dictionary yet, but is the 占ったげる on page 29 a contraction of 占ってあげる?

1 Like

Wow I wouldn’t have even thought of that – so do you think they might be trying to convey both “pocket money” and “war funds” for a fun spin on words? Kind of like when someone says something and something different is subtitled on purpose?

I didn’t even think of this, makes sense thanks! :blush:

1 Like

Yes

Also yes. We saw a lot of this in the Aria series, particularly when they wanted to give the underlying meaning of a less obvious word e.g. the series is set on Mars, and Earth was referred to as 地球マンホーム

8 Likes
page 37

Laughing at this so hard because it brings back memories when I was in Kamakura with my mom a few years back.

I asked some Japanese guys in their twenties to please take a picture of me and my mom in front of the Daibutsu. I have a DSLR, so I thought I’d rather hand it to some guys my age than someone “older” (chances are higher they know how to take a picture with it).

So one of the three guys took pictures of us and then one of his friends next to him saw what kind of pictures he took and told him something like “Hey! You should take a picture of them with the Daibutsu!” And I confirmed that we would like a picture with it. We started laughing and I told my mom what was going on and she laughed, too (he actually captured that moment of both of us laughing as well). So in the end, we got our picture with the Daibutsu (and some others just the both of us) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11 Likes

That is hilarious :joy:

I think I accidentally read too far, I didn’t see the chapter title on page 59 :sweat_smile: (I moved the vocab I entered to a new sheet for next week – but I can remove it completely if preferred). Are the black pages 57 and 58 part of chapter 8 or 9? It’s not clear to me…

On page 37, what’s こご? Kei and the old guy use it.

Page 38

There’s the sentence これは祭りに行くと言ったら母がくれた軍資金です

So this basically means something like “This is spending money mom gave me when I said we’re going to the festival”, right? I’m always a bit unsure with the conditionals, though they’re mostly just If X, then Y. Are there any tips to parse them better? I think I somehow try to understand them backwards, but they aren’t. I’m getting even more confused, the more I think about it.

Going to pause here at page 38 for now. But I have to say, the manga really grew on me. I love the relaxed slice of life mood and the characters. What’s the top called Chinatsu is wearing? Looks really cute.

3 Likes
Page 38

I understood it pretty much the same! After the は I worked backwards from 金です to get something like along those lines, with each part further “qualifying” the money…(don’t know how to say that in “grammar talk” sorry)

2 Likes
Page 38

Love how pompous he’s being in this scene…

According to Tae Kim, “A-たら [past-tense B]” indicates that B was an unexpected result of A…so it’s not a conditional in this case (yay grammar!).
I think it means what you said, but with the added nuance that he wasn’t expecting to get the money.

3 Likes

Hm, it seems like the definitions of たら are all over the place. According to Wasabi it’s also used for one-time or particular results for both actual and hypothetical conditions. Which does fit the sentence, as well. I’ve also read that it’s used to emphasize the result, but can’t remember where I’ve seen it.

1 Like

Oh I understood this たら as when, not if… So “when I said”…

1 Like

I think it’s consistent, there’s just two separate grammar points that look really similar:

1. A-たら [present-tense B]: If A then B (this is the one covered by both Tae Kim and Wasabi).
  2. A-たら [past-tense B]: A resulted in B which was unexpected (this one gets a little note at the end of the Tae Kim post, but no mention in the Wasabi post).

I’d probably use ‘when’ as well in this case.

3 Likes

Oh wow, yeah. You’re right. I completely disregarded the past/present tense difference after たら. Thanks for pointing that out!

I only noticed because you asked in the first place :slight_smile:

BTW:

ここ with an accent maybe?

4 Likes

Page 45
ほんとツイてツイてしかたがないのです

Does anyone have a clue what Chinatsu is saying (ツイてツイて)?

Page 47
Why is the fortune teller lady mentioning Litte Red Riding Hood? Is her character being associated with being nosy?

And whoops, just like Chinatsu, I thought that little guy was a mouse or rat :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I was wondering about this too. My best guess is it’s related ついてる (which can mean to be lucky) but said in katakana for emphasis “Seriously, so lucky, so lucky it can’t be helped”.

3 Likes

Huh. I saw a haunted house very much like the one on page 39 at the Kawagoe Matsuri last year…

Or the blank page? :stuck_out_tongue:

“What big ears you have, Grandma”, “What big eyes you have, Grandma”, “What big teeth you have, Grandma” is pretty nosy. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

It wasn’t…blank enough for my brain to process maybe :sweat_smile:

7 Likes