ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 11 🧹

Chapter 64 - 衣使いの魔女

2022-07-15T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

3 Likes

I wonder if Japanese readers outside of 巣鴨(すがも) would be as lost with the start of chapter 64 as I would be if I didn’t happen upon this page of photos of the area. Also, there is this page of photos.

Page 63

Page 64 (and discussion from 63)

The latter linked page says wearing red wards off misfortune and illness.

Page 65

It seems cleaning off a part of the statue clears an illness of your own in that area. This panel made a lot more sense once I knew this.

https://www.kifukudo.com/

二瓶さん

For those like me who didn’t remember who this was…

I think I looked up more words reading through this chapter than I did the last couple of volumes combined…

6 Likes

Same, the chapter was a bit of a slog :joy: But I’m happy Anzu appeared in the chapter, hope she returns more often :eyes:

3 Likes

Chapter 65 - 乗り遅れにはご注意を

2022-07-22T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

2 Likes

Chapter 66 - 凄腕マジシャンシスターズ

2022-07-29T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

4 Likes

I don’t think she’s gonna quit, guys

5 Likes

I totally forgot about this Xenoblade 3 taking over my life…

This was a fun chapter, though it took me a while to remember who the 3 girls were.

Soon the wait for the next volume begins again

3 Likes

Chapter 67 - 七不思議な社会科見学

2022-08-07T15:00:00Z

Final chapter! (For now.)

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

1 Like

Well that was a nice chapter to end the volume on :3
Somehow I didn’t realize (didn’t remember?) that Akane didn’t know Hamabe :thinking:

Chinatsu and Hamabe, besties for life <3

:heart:

4 Likes

I thought the same. It’s easy to forget who all was around for each encounter.

History of Hamabe Encounters

Hamabe first appeared in volume 4.

During this time, Chinatsu and Akane remained home while Makoto went out.

After meeting with Akira, that night, Makoto is about to head home when she encounters Inukai.

This leads to Makoto and Inukai (and Chito and Aru) first meeting Hamabe.

The following morning, Chinatsu, Kei, and their parents met Hamabe.

Although Hamabe is there from morning through lunch, Akane isn’t shown. Either she really slept in, or she had left in the middle of the night.

In volume 6, Akane returns from a trip and learns about Chinatsu’s ring (obtained in volume 5), but Hamabe isn’t around at this time.

Volume 9 introduces Nao to Hamabe, as she accompanies Kei, Chinatsu, Makoto, and Inukai on a trip to the beach.

Presumably, Akane’s heard about Hamabe, but still has yet to meet him.

Finally, volume 11 brings Hamabe back for a visit at the house while Makoto and Akane are away visiting their parents.

After the sisters return, Chinatsu goes to tell them about the bottle rocket experience, but Akane may have missed that mention of Hamabe’s name.

This brings us to the final chapter of volume 11, where Akane finally meets Hamabe.

6 Likes

Thank you for this, I love this, like seriously this helps me so much <3
It’s been so long that I feel like I’ve forgotten everything :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Whaaa, already finished with the volume? :sob: I need more, it’s such a wholesome manga. I really liked every chapter

4 Likes

Well, I did covertly suggest a way we could have extended the volume to the release of the next, but I failed to put it in the form of a poll.

1 Like

Wait, there’s volume 12 coming out soonish? I thought there’d be more time between volumes.
I also just realized that some volumes seem to be completely sold out over at Amazon. Not the usual “we expected more soon”, are they not reprinting the old ones anymore? :thinking:

1 Like

Next volume I expect in roughly a year, so not quite soonish.

If we had spent two months per chapter (as I joked in my quoted comment from before we started), we’d be spending one year reading volume 11.

(Sorry for sounding misleading on when 12 is expected!)

3 Likes

Oh, hahaha. Well that would certainly be an interesting experience.
But nah no need to be sorry. I read your quote wrong as stretching out the volume over 2 months which we kind of did anyway so I was just really confused :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Reviving this topic because I could really use some help with chapter 64, page 66.

Page 66

衣使いの魔女二瓶巴さん
あの人形使いの魔女五所川原椿さんの一番弟子で
今赤丸急上昇中の魔女なんだから

I understand none of those 3 sentences. Are 巴さん and 五所川原椿さん people? Who?
What is 赤丸急上昇中?

So Nihie Tomoe-san is a character introduced in volume 10, though you might not remember her because she was in her … ‘combat gear’ back then:

This meeting happens when Makoto is back at her parents’ home and she takes a job (the one with the perpetual rain in the Manekineko shrine).

So the first sentence is “The cloth-user witch Nihei Tomoe-san”.

The second sentence says “The first disciple of the doll-user witch Goshokawara Tsubaki. and…” I don’t think we’ve seen that character - it’s just that Makoto’s friend is just repeating verbatim what she read online about Nihei-san.

Sadly I don’t remember what 赤丸急上昇中 - sounds like “the witch who is currently trending in 赤丸”, though not sure if Akamaru is a place or something else.

2 Likes

And also looking a whole lot more timid than she’s looked in any subsequent appearence.

Aye, we still haven’t seen them yet, even in volume 12. (Or maybe we have seen them in the background of some group scene, but they were never identified by name.)

Google results seem to be implying that the whole phrase is something like the English idiom “a rising star”, but I’m not getting much by way of actual dictionary entries in my results, just people asking questions on Chiebukuro, so I’m not completely confident. Vertical’s translation went with “She’s a rising star and going up fast!”

4 Likes

Ah, I remembered her but only that she was called Nihie. Somehow I thought that that was her first name so I was confused by who Tomoe could be.

Thanks for the help both of you!

2 Likes