ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 10 🧹

I love this chapter so much, omggggggg
First off, the trains are filling me with so much happiness :relaxed: I’ve been on that train and been to those stations irl, and the manga versions look super close to my memory - it’s making me remember how happy I was when I was there :heart: I’m also 90% sure I took a picture of the shinkansen exactly like that because honestly it was super かっこいい ahaha. And the delicious gyudon bentos I ate on the trains/in the stations. omg. I freaking love trains in Japan. Idek. Taking trains through the Japanese countryside, that’s my happy place.

Also, excuse me, but the cats watching cat videos with earbuds is so freaking cute, I’m gonna die :confounded:

5 Likes

@ChristopherFritz @NicoleIsEnough Sorry I couldn’t get the chance to check the forums lately. Thank you for your replies to chapter 56 questions.

Chapter 57 was a much lighter read but it was so cute. I love how almost every chapter of Flying Witch has new experiences and characters. This was much needed at a time like this.

Came to write this. I laughed so much at that panel. :smiley:

3 Likes

:laughing:

Super cute chapter!!

4 Likes

Chapter 58 - 4か月ぶりの家族、増える親友

2021-07-29T15:00:00Z

(Photo source.)

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

2 Likes

im new to this and dont really know what I’m doing, but can i start reading this at level three?

Hello, and welcome.

This manga has furigana (meaning that all kanji in it have their corresponding readings in kana), which means that your kanji knowledge is not really a major factor in reading.

If have little experience reading native japanese material, your biggest hurdles are going to be grammar and vocabulary. This book club started reading this manga as part of the beginner book club, where the suggested level of grammar is between N4 and N3. We have a google spreadsheet to help with the vocabulary part, though it’s mostly filled for the earlier volumes, last time I checked.

If you are unsure whether this might be on your level or not, you can check this post which has a few sample pages, which can give you a general idea of its difficulty:

If you have never read japanese material before at all, or your grammar level is low, my suggestion is to give a try to books in the Absolute Beginner’s book club, where easier material is read. Here you can see a list of all the books that were read (and also the ones currently being read) in that book club:

My suggestion is to check the books that were read in the absolute beginner section, and pick something that catches your interest, then try reading that by following the thread for that book, which contains questions and answers everyone made when the book was read. Even if it is a book that was read a long time ago, you can still ask new questions in those threads, people generally still keep an eye on them and are happy to help out.

2 Likes

this is a ton of info, thanks man!. btw how do i buy these books?

In the home threads of all the book clubs (for this one: Reading Vol. 11・ふらいんぐうぃっち・Flying Witch (Beginner Book Club) 🧹) you will always find a buy section where you will find digital and physical options. For digital I find Bookwalker to be the easiest.

As Shadowlauch mentioned, you can usually find links to buy books both digitally (if available) or physically in the first thread of each book thread.

If you prefer buying digitally, here’s a detailed guide on how it works for the most common digital stores:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/buying-digital-japanese-books/10603

I can’t find a thread with a specific guide for buying physical books, but amazon.co.jp and cdjapan.co.jp accept orders from most countries around the world. I have ordered a few times from amazon.co.jp and while it wasn’t cheap, the shipping was relatively reasonable.

There is a section on buying books in here:

1 Like

I feel like the witch manga I’m reading are merging. The other witch manga I’m reading has a 巫女(みこ) named 弥生(やよい), and here in chapter 58 we find Makoto has friends named ミコ and 弥生(やよい).

4 Likes

What’s the name of that other witch manga?

現代魔女の就職事情. It’s okay, but sort of just in the “good enough to keep reading for Japanese practice” category for me. It’s not something I’d read in English.

It helps that the series ends with five volumes. (I’m on volume four.)

If you check a free preview of volume one, such as from this page, you should be able to get a good feel for whether it would be interesting for you.

The only thing you miss out on from the preview is that later on (maybe it was volume two?), an old demon who’s obsessed with high school girls is introduced as a recurring character. I feel the series would not be any worse off without that character.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, doesn’t look particularly interesting. Especially considering how many other manga there are on my ever-growing want-to-read-list. :sweat_smile:

Btw another great chapter. Finally we’ll learn a bit more about Makoto’s family and friends back home.

Also noticed we’re over half through the volume again. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Chapter 59 - 都会の仕事

2021-08-06T15:00:00Z

If you’ve completed WaniKani level 12, this chapter’s title is no problem for you.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

2 Likes

4 Likes

The smol cat creatures are here, the smol cat creatures are here, this is not a drill

If anyone was wondering, 豪徳寺 (Gotokuji Temple) is a real place in Tokyo, complete with all the maneki-neko statues. Tofugu even wrote an article on it, apparently. I low-key wanted to go there the last time I was in Japan but I didn’t have time :frowning:

2 Likes

Everything in this manga is a real place (with the possible exception of characters’ houses).

Yeah, it’s definitely on my list of places to visit, but it’s a little bit far from anything else on my list of places to visit.

1 Like

Honestly I think this was the exact reason it got cut from my itinerary lol, there was like nothing else near there and I had very limited time, so for the sake of efficiency I didn’t go…

Chapter 60 - 招き猫の要求

2021-08-13T15:00:00Z

Welcome to the penultimate chapter. They’re getting shorter from here on out.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m not reading along

0 voters

2 Likes