それでも歩は寄せてくる ・ When will Ayumu Make his Move? - Volume 4 Thread

Offshoot Home Thread

Currently Reading: Volume 4, 第53-54局 + おまけ局

Upcoming: TBD

If you need any general info about the book, please check the Nomination post for more details (´。• ᵕ •。`) Also, note that this is an offshoot club’s thread, meaning that we have already finished reading the first volume, that you can find at それでも歩は寄せてくる ・ When will Ayumu Make his Move? - Volume 1 thread (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Reading Schedule

||||||
| — | — | — | — | — | — |
Week|Start date|Chapter|Page Numbers|Page count*|
Week 1 | January 22nd|第42局|03-13|8|
Week 2 | January 29th |第43-44局|12-33|16|
Week 3 | February 5th |第45-46局|33-53|16|
Week 4 | February 12th |第47-48局|53-73|16|
Week 5 | February 19th |第49-50局|73-95|18|
Week 6 | February 26th |第51-52局|95-115|16|
Week 7 | March 5th |第53-54局 + おまけ |115-139|24|

*in the page count, white/unwritten pages aren’t considered.

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page of the sheet before adding any words.

Members

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later

0 voters

6 Likes

And let’s not forget the おまけ from 136-139!

5 Likes

Well said!

4 Likes

I think the vocab sheet is in some sort of read only mode, at least that’s what it said when I opened it and there was nothing written in it yet.

I already read this week’s chapter and I guess it was an slow and relaxing start. :slight_smile:

Urushi being adorable

7 Likes

Fixed! Could you please try again if possible? ありがとうねぇ

3 Likes

It’s now allowing edits. I haven’t actually added anything, though, because I haven’t gotten around to reading just yet (will do so here in the next hour or so!)

3 Likes

Well, apologies for the double-post, but I did sit down and do my reading of the chapter (though it’s heavy on the “so” end of my time estimation from earlier). I went ahead and added some terms to the vocab sheet as I went, as well. :grin:

After the one-week gap, I’m happy to be back to reading about these two. Always a treat.

Story Comments/Standout Panels

Ah, the joy, the smug. Urushi’s reactions are, as always, the best part of this manga for me. :laughing:

I’m so glad that the end of the chapter illustrates this a little better (as does Ayumu’s mental image in the following panel), because I am entirely incapable of picturing things like this in my head. I actually jumped to the next page to see what it was illustrating before bouncing back to read this because my eyes were starting to glaze a bit as I read it without any idea of what was going on. It’s probably a combination of not knowing Shogi well enough, in addition to the fact that I’ve always struggled to form mental images. I’m envious of those who can do it with ease!

Adorable and, after some editing, in the running to be an update to my profile picture!

That was bold!

And a perfect reaction! Petition to replace :astonished: with this image.

7 Likes

Actually at the time I read it I didn’t really realise that it was that bold. But I agree with you now!
Ayumu is just so good at showing a straight face, I don’t even realise when he says embarassing things!

4 Likes

Good read! Will always be happy to be back posting in this club. Didn’t have many troubles except when the shogi problem was described, but… yeah. One of these days I’ll learn Shogi. Probably. Maybe.

Love the new profile pic @MrGeneric

My brain sure made some sort of connection

4 Likes

Brb, gotta go listen to it now to get the earworm out… :wink:

Thanks! :grin:

3 Likes

Maybe soon we will see Ayumu transform into a shougi hero to finally defeat Urushi! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At the beginning of chapter 43, pg. 14 there was this sentence:

私をクリスマスに誘う気だろう
I think this translated roughly to “You are in the spirit to invite me for christmas, right?”
But I don’t understand the part with 誘う気.
Is さそう here just used to describe 気?

Chapter 43

Honestly I believed Ayumu wasn’t planning on inviting Urushi at all! Guess I was wrong.
Would have been great if Urushi invited him instead, but I guess that’s moving too much, so not happening anytime soon. :frowning: (Edit: It actually happened in chapter 44! haha)
I think Urushi’s expression is great here!

Chapter 44

As expected it’s finally the new year’s chapter !

I always love seeing these kimono style clothes with the fluffy scarves on top.
Does anyone know if there is a special name for it or is it just a normal kimono?
Sadly Ayumu didn’t say anything about their clothes, even though they both look so cute!

5 Likes

Yes, 誘う is just acting as a noun-modifying phrase. “A spirit which is inviting” might be how we would word it in English, but noun-modifying phrases are always a bit awkward and unwieldy to translate, I find. The important thing is that if a verb in plain form precedes a noun, instead of coming at the end of a sentence, it is generally going to be a noun-modifying phrase, instead of an actual verb.

Edit to add: The kimonos you are asking about might be called a winter furisode (冬の振袖???). Either way, the big sleeved kimonos are furisodes, and with the fur, I imagine they are winter specific.

5 Likes

I searched a bit on the net and I think the kimono style is called furisode (振袖). There are three sleevele lengths available: 小振袖, 中振袖, 大振袖.
But there doesn’t seem to be a particular name for the scarf. Apparently it’s just called “shawl for furisode”. At least when you put it in google you find it! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve wrapped up my reading of both chapters for the week. It actually took me a little more time than usual. There were definitely a couple things in both chapter that I had to go back and re-read to get the meaning from context before looking up to confirm my thoughts. Mostly just some grammar points here and there that I haven’t seen very often, so I’m not very familiar or comfortable with.

Story Comments/Standout Panels

The confidence! Maybe she can keep a straight face when embarrassing things are being said! :thinking:

Then again, maybe not…Mission failed. We’ll get 'em next time. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m getting this sinking feeling that “Shogi without a board” is about to become a recurring thing in the manga… Guess I better start playing more Shogi so I can follow along more easily. At the very least, thanks to @ChristopherFritz’s wonderful post in response to when I asked about how to read Shogi notation, I’m not getting caught up on that part of it anymore. Now I just have to resist my brain’s urge to check out when reading that much notation back-to-back. :stuck_out_tongue:

This was a…better attempt, Urushi. Good job. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though it didn’t last long. Cute! (Goll, gotta find a different adjective. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Aww, I really felt quite bad for Urushi (and Ayumu afterwards) in this panel. She got herself all prepared and worked up for nothing. :cry:

That is perhaps the laziest abbreviation of a phrase I’ve ever seen, Maki. :laughing:

But she sure knows how to catch a hint. :stuck_out_tongue:

You should know better by now, Urushi. It’s never 偶然.

Aww. This is a super adorable expression. It’s going in the “potential profile picture” pile for when I might fancy a change. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Sad to dissapoint you but that’s a standard abbreviation for it :D. Can even be made crazier with Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

6 Likes

Wow, I knew about あけおめ, but that one is new to me. It’s on a whole other level :joy:

4 Likes

I have a confession to make.

I skipped all the Shogi talk :see_no_evil:

EDIT: I really need to stop double-posting when I want to reply to two different messages :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

I also do skip the shougi part, I hope it won’t become a recurring thing where they talk like a whole chapter.

5 Likes

You might want to skip two-thirds of volume seven…

(Just kidding!)

3 Likes