すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider (S&M Vol. 1) (Advanced Book Club)

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

Welcome to すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider (S&M Vol. 1)

This is Volume 1 in the Saikawa&Moe (S&M) series by MORI Hiroshi.
Volume 2 is called 冷たい密室と博士たち - Doctors in Isolated Room.

Where to buy

Amazon | Bookwalker

Discussion Threads and Reading Schedule

We started reading on April 10th, 2021.

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 1 Apr 10th Chapter 1 44
Week 2 Apr 17th Chapter 2 52
Week 3 Apr 24th Chapter 3 46
Week 4 May 1st Chapter 4 48
Week 5 May 8th Chapter 5 48
Week 6 May 15th Chapter 6 44
Week 7 May 22rd Chapter 7 46
Week 8 May 29th Chapter 8 48
Week 9 Jun 5th Chapter 9 36
Week 10 Jun 12th Chapter 10 62
Week 11 Jun 19th Chapter 11 26

(Note: One physical page contains ~92% of the text of one BookWalker “standard page”.)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

1 Like

Welcome to our newest book club pick!

Regarding the schedule, my first disclaimer is that I based the page counts off of my ebook (and the fact that Amazon claims the book has 524 pages in total). So the page counts will be somewhat off, I guess. I think for the purpose of the schedule that should be good enough, though, since I’m not expecting anybody to be in trouble if there are a few pages more or less per week (given this is the advanced book club). If anybody knows the chapter page numbers of the paper book, I’d be happy to hear about them and fix my schedule.

Anyway, at first I tried to stick to the club’s proposed 30-45 pages/week as closely as possible, and I came up with this 13-week schedule:

13-week schedule
Week Start Date Start Chapter Page Count
Week 1 Apr 10th 1.1 ~39.5
Week 2 Apr 17th 1.6 ~40
Week 3 Apr 24th 2.6 ~38
Week 4 May 1st 3.3 ~43
Week 5 May 8th 4.3 ~40.5
Week 6 May 15th 5.1 ~40
Week 7 May 22rd 5.7 ~35
Week 8 May 29th 6.5 ~43.5
Week 9 Jun 5th 7.3 ~40.5
Week 10 Jun 12th 8.5 ~45.5
Week 11 Jun 19th 9.3 ~35.5
Week 12 Jun 26th 10.2 ~40.5
Week 13 Jul 3rd 10.9 ~43.5

But then @yukine said:

So I checked and it sounds indeed like a good idea, which would get us to this 11-week schedule:

11-week schedule
Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 1 Apr 10th 1 ~47
Week 2 Apr 17th 2 ~55
Week 3 Apr 24th 3 ~48
Week 4 May 1st 4 ~51
Week 5 May 8th 5 ~50
Week 6 May 15th 6 ~46
Week 7 May 22rd 7 ~48
Week 8 May 29th 8 ~50
Week 9 Jun 5th 9 ~37
Week 10 Jun 12th 10 ~65
Week 11 Jun 19th 11 ~37

The average is about 47 pages, but the book has been rated as rather easy, so there’s that. And the hardest week (#10) is surrounded by two relatively easy weeks, so people can balance this a bit if they like. And I think the rhythm of reading the story will be much better when reading a full chapter per week instead of the mix-and match approach of the first schedule.

So, what do you think of this?

• I prefer 13 weeks
  • I prefer 11 weeks
  • Either is fine for me
  • I prefer something else (please explain)
0 voters
6 Likes

Alright, that was easy! Let’s stick with the 1-chapter-a-week schedule then :slight_smile:
(In the hope that this will also be okay for @Ditto20 and @morteASD who also voted for this pick?..)

I will add the schedule to the OP soon.

EDIT: Updated the OP and updated the schedule with the page counts from the paperback book.

5 Likes

Completely missed the poll (and thread I guess :smiley:), but yes, sounds good!

2 Likes

oh gosh, we’re starting tomorrow :eyes: Are y’all ready?

6 Likes

Ready when you are!

6 Likes

Aaaaaaand we’re off! :slight_smile:

Happy reading everybody, and I’m looking forward to another round of intense discussions!

7 Likes

I’m ready too! My first time out with this book club. よろしく!

I got a used paperback copy from Book Off this past week so I’m not sure if my page numbers will match up, but at least we’re just taking it one chapter at a time.

6 Likes

Oh wow this started already! :scream:

That name list in the beginning though…

4 Likes

I actually really appreciated that when I flipped the book open this morning. They all have furigana, too! What luxury.

6 Likes

My reading skills are not so good but too basic stuff can absoltely bore me maybe I should do this one to push myself :confused:

5 Likes

I haven’t finished the first chapter yet, but here are some vocabulary words I’ve picked up so far:

覗き見る(のぞきみる)- to peek
迅速(じんそく)- quick, rapid
洞察力(どうさつりょく)- discernment, perception
抑揚(よくよう)- intonation, accent
咄嗟(とっさ)- instantly
淡々(たんたん)- nonchalant
華奢(きゃしゃ)- delicate, slender
逸らす(そらす)- to turn away
頷く(うなずく)- to nod

2 Likes

I just finished the first chapter this morning. The later parts with Saikawa sensei were much clearer to me than the opening parts with Magada. Especially the part about the doll. I read that a few times and it still didn’t make much sense to me. I guess we’ll find out more about that later. Also, all of the talk about whether or not computer viruses are living things seemed to have some connection to a doll being used as a surrogate for a murder (potentially).

Is anyone else reading this? :laughing:

1 Like

If you check the OP, there is a separate thread for each week’s reading. Week 1 for example can be found here: Week 1: すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider

There you can see who is reading this, and also their thoughts and discussions.

(Also, if you could maybe use some spoilers for parts that get revealed in that chapter… :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Okay, mystery solved! I was wondering where everyone was. Thank you!

Week 2 is here:

3 Likes

I just hope it’s not a replacement for actual character introduction, like it sometimes is. Sure hope I’m not expected to remember all the names and occupations (and relations) right off the bat :sweat_smile:.

Oh, I still fondly remember this drama! Actually thought about a scene from it just an hour ago for unrelated reasons! (even though it was probably more than a year ago since I saw it!)

I do want to try read this book, but at a later time. I already have too many book clubs!
But I’ll come back and look at the forum posts and such when I do!

I’ll definitely put this book on my “to buy” list! =D

3 Likes

And we’re on to week 3!

5 Likes

Oh, thanks for posting the link! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes