しろくまカフェ: Week 5 Discussion (Chapters 9 and 10)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

しろくまカフェ home thread

Chapters 9 and 10

Start date: April 10th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 7 and 8
Next chapter: Chapters 11-13

Page numbers

b174615ec62c30e5548289f3be860f5e4a748deb

Vocabulary list

You can also check the page numbers for new and old versions here. If you have an old version, chapters 24-28 are in the second volume!

Translations/Grammar Breakdown

Expand for a nested list of links covering each panel
Page 45
Page 46
Page 47
Page 48
Page 49
Page 50
Page 51
Page 52

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :panda_face:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters
5 Likes

Heh, パンダパンだ!

I confess I don’t entirely get the line on page 45 - こねるのにハマっちゃった, even though it’s kneading, I’ve completely taken to it? I’m not clear on how the clauses are related - why “even though”?

Page 52, 獣烈誅遮 on Panda’s biker gang flag… this is basically the old eighties’ biker gang slang of picking random kanji to rework simpler things into complex ateji phrases (his spoken 夜露死苦 is the classic example of that). My question is, is it meant to mean something, or has he just picked random kanji that read as ジューレツチューシャ? “Violent beasts interrupt the death penalty”?

Same page, who’s こぐまのミーシャ? I’m thinking some fictional character, but Google’s coming up blank, and Jisho’s only got 小熊のプーさん. Unless it’s a character in this manga?

2 Likes

Look at the next line though, where he says シロクマくんは力があるからねぇ。I think that’s how it relates. Kneading dough doesn’t seem like something a bear would be into but it takes a lot of strength to knead dough so that could be why he’s into it.

1 Like

Page 45, bis

• Panel 1
    • Blackboard: しろくまパンはじめました。しろくま手作りおいしいよ!
      • しろくま - Shirokuma
      • パン - bread
      • はじめました - past tense of 始める (to start something)
      • しろくま - Shirokuma
      • 手作り - handmade
      • おいしい - delicious
      • よ - assertive particle
  • Blackboard: Started on Shirokuma bread / Introducing Shirokuma break. Shirokuma hand-made and delicious! (I guessed here Shirokuma refers to the Café, and not its owner, because it’s written in hiragana)
  • Panel 2:
    • Panda: ちわ~
      • ちわ - contraction of こんにちは (hello)
    • Panda: hi!
    • Shirokuma: いらっしゃい
      • いらっしゃい - welcome (in a store)
    • Shirokuma: Welcome!
    • Panda: ホントにパン作ってる
      • ホントに - really (ホント + に particle)
      • パン - bread
      • 作って(い)る - ている-form of the verb 作る (to make)
    • Panda: You’re really making bread.
  • Panel 3:
    • Shirokuma: こねるのにハマっちゃって♪
      • こねる - to knead
      • のに - in order to, for
      • ハマっちゃって - contraction of ハマってしまって - て-form of verb ハマる (to be fit for) + て-form of the verb しまう (to do something completely / to do something accidentally)
    • Shirokuma: I happen to be fit for kneading… I am super into kneading (This is my attempt at a translation. At first I was confused by the のに, which I read as ‘although’, but I think it is meant as ‘for’ here. As usual, I am not at all sure about the exact meaning of しまう here.)
    • Panda: シロクマくんは力あるからねぇ
      • シロクマくん - Shirokuma kun
      • は - topic particle
      • 力 - force, strength / ability, proficiency
      • ある - there is, to have
      • から - because
      • ねぇ - agreement particle (with lengthened vowel)
    • Panda: Because you’re strong, right?

Chapter 9, here we go!

3 Likes

How… how did you get from the D key to the K key? :stuck_out_tongue:

Reckon it’s “completely”.

1 Like

I think のに here is used to mean ‘for’, ‘in order to’.

Hahahahahah My fingers type whatever they want! I often start typing something and end up typing any word that starts similarly. It’s as if my fingers repeat some pattern they know it’s a valid word, but not the one I intend to write! Does it happen to anyone else? It happens to me most of the times in Spanish (my native language), but it seems that it also happens to me in English!!

1 Like

(Page 45, panel 3)
I’m thinking the のに isn’t “even though.” I’m thinking the の nominalizes the こねる and the に indicates that “kneading” is what he’s well-suited for. Also could be slang, like “I am super into kneading.”/“I am obsessed with kneading.”

8 Likes

Page 46, bis
(with @Bmcg22!)

• Panel 1

• Panda: いろんなパンができてる❤️
      • いろんな - various
      • パン - breads
      • が - subject marker
      • できて(い)る - ている form of 出来ている (to be able to do) - EDIT: can also mean “to be made, to be built”
  • Panda: You are able to make a variety of breads You made a lot of different breads

• Panel 2

• Panda: パンダパンだ!かわいい~
      • パンダ - panda
      • パン - bread
      • だ - copula
      • かわいい - cute
  • Panda: It’s panda bread! Cute…

• Panel 3

• Panda: コレボクが食べたら共食い?
      • コレ - this
      • ボク - I
      • が - topic marker
      • 食べたら - 食べる in conditional form (if I eat)
      • 共食い - cannibalism
  • Panda: If I eat this is it cannabilism?

• Panel 4

• Shirokuma: パンダパンは小倉あんとうぐいすあんがある
      • パンダパン - Panda bread
      • は - topic marking particle
      • 小倉あん - oguraan (sweet adzuki bean paste made of a mixture of mashed and whole beans)
      • と - and
      • うぐいすあん - uguisuan (sweet brownish-green paste made from green peas)
      • がある - there are
  • Shirokuma: The panda breads are oguraan and (or) uguisuan.

• Panel 6

• Shirokuma: こっちうぐいすあん
      • こっち - this one
      • うぐいすあん - uguisuan
  • Shirokuma: This one is uguisuan

• Shirokuma: しるしつけるの忘れちゃって
      • しるし - mark
      • つける - to attach (付ける)
      • の - possessive particle
      • 忘れちゃって - contraction of 忘れてしまって - て-form of 忘れる(to forget) with て-form of しまう(to do something completely/to something regretfully)
  • Shirokuma: I forgot to make a mark (to mark which flavour is which)

Formatting this nicely on a phone screen was more painful than the translation! Might not bother next time!

3 Likes

I think it’s more like “You made a lot of (different) breads.”
Jisho lists "to be ready; to be completed"​ and “to be made; to be built” as second and third translations.「晩ご飯ができた」 for example means “dinner is ready.”

5 Likes

Thanks how did I forget that meaning of できる? It came up so much in the last book!

韓国の 茶わんは、日本の ものと ちがって 金ぞくで できている ものが よく 見られます。
Korean rice bowls differ from Japanese ones, and are often to be seen made from metal. (なぜ?どうして? Chapter 5)

3 Likes

Page 47

• Panel 1

• Panda: この人間のカオしたパンは?
      • この - This
      • 人間 - human
      • の - (modifying/possessive particle)
      • カオ - face (顔, in katakana)
      • した - did (or made?)
      • パン - bread
      • は - (topic marker)
    • Panda: This is bread that’s like a human face?
    • Panda: What about this bread with a human face? (Thanks @Okanekure!)
  • Panel 2

• Shirokuma: ショパン
    • Shirokuma: Chopin
  • Panel 3

• Shirokuma: ビーターパンとルパンもある

• ビーターパン - Peter Pan
      • と - (exhaustive listing particle)
      • ルパン - Lupin
      • も - too, also, etc.
      • ある - exists/there is
    • Shirokuma: Also these are Peter Pan and Lupin (Since I have/had no idea who ルパン would be, I went with the translation from the vocab sheet–based on how the bread looks, it’s supposed to be Arsène Lupin, not Lupin III (who is supposed to be Arsène Lupin’s grandson.) Thanks to the person who added that!)

• Panda: あっそ

• Panda: Okay…

• Panel 4

• Shirokuma: サイパン
    • Shirokuma: Saipan
  • Panel 5

• Shirokuma: 絶パン
    • Shirokuma: Out of print (絶版)
  • Panel 6

• Shirokuma: トレパン
    • Shirokuma: Sweat pants
4 Likes

That would be more like “What about this bread with a human face?”

3 Likes

First time in Japan and so much more fun than studying at home! I’d never heard of うぐいすあん before until reading it in chapter 9 yesterday, and see it straight away in the shops today!

11 Likes

Thanks for the correction, and your reply made me go back and look, and I realized I hadn’t done the break downs for anything like I normally do! I got distracted in the middle of working on it this morning, and ended up posting the version before I broke everything out. I’ll get that fixed.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of うぐいすあん before, but I have heard of うぐいす, mostly because I stayed at a hotel near 鶯谷駅 on the Yamanote Line when I visited in 2017. 鶯 is the Japanese bush warbler, but it’s also the name of a shade of green, which comes from the bird (in much the same way that teal the duck gave its name to teal the colour). It’s the specific shade of green used to represent the Yamanote Line on maps, in fact.

3 Likes

I like it! Nightingale valley station! Just before Ueno Station. I like the connection with the colour of the Yamanote line. On my way to Ueno station right now in fact. By the way the うぐいすあん was not nice to my English taste buds…

1 Like

I’m curious, what did it taste like? I’m imagining something like sweet cream peas (I’m realizing just now my family always called the food just ‘sweet peas’, but sweet peas are actually a flower.)

It doesn’t sound like a very good pastry filling, but I also thought anko would be weird, and I love it.

I confess I’m not a huge fan of anko, though that may be more due to the texture than the taste. It’s… too grainy.

Actually, I’m not even sure I can picture the taste right now.

It kinda tasted like garden peas (which I don’t really like anyway). It was a little sweet.

1 Like