しろくまカフェ: Week 14 Discussion (Chapters 27 and 28 [END])

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

しろくまカフェ home thread

Chapters 27 and 28

Start date: June 12th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 25 and 26

Page numbers

b174615ec62c30e5548289f3be860f5e4a748deb

Vocabulary list

You can also check the page numbers for new and old versions here. If you have an old version, chapters 24-28 are in the second volume!

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :panda_face:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

Yay, last stretch /o/ I really loved this manga, even though it was maybe quite difficult for this club, but even if some of you found it too much for now, remember that you can come back anytime and we’ll be here to help:3 :yellow_heart:
Also I think I might finish other volumes in my free time because they are a pleasant read for me now, and who can not read about those cute animals :eyes: :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

I loved the last two chapters!
I didn’t know this manga before, but it was a great discovery. I’ll wait a little before reading the other volumes, because it was a little difficult for me. But maybe I’ll try the anime!

Now I have to buy Chi’s Sweet Home before the reading starts :wink:
When I go to a japanese bookstore, I always want to buy all mangas! I can’t wait to be able to read more kanjis/understand more grammar!

4 Likes

Finished reading the last two chapters! :3 Actually knew those two from the anime, the florist episode was hilarious haha.

I like the manga but I’m not sure if I’ll pick up the other volumes soon. I think I prefer the anime, the voices and music etc add a lot to it imo.

4 Likes

And done, as well!

A couple of nice chapters to end on.

I do have one minor question.

Page 186 (last page of chapter 27.)

When the florist is explaining his nickname, he says his name is 林 厘太郎, then there are two kanji shown. Is the first kanji is an extremely stylized/handwritten 林? It doesn’t look anything like 林 to me (it looks more like two modified 爪s, or at least that’s the closest thing I can think of), but I can see it has the same number of strokes (though it sort of seems like the stroke order would be different?), so I’m assuming that’s what it’s supposed to be, but I want to make sure there’s not something else going on.

In any case, I enjoyed the book. It’s the fourth native Japanese book I’ve completed, even though it was the first one I started, heh. And the first book club I’ve participated in. I’m not sure I’ll continue reading the series, since there are a lot of other things I’m interested in reading instead, but I liked it well enough I may pick it back up some day.

Thanks to everyone who read along!

4 Likes

I don’t have an answer, but thanks for asking…when I read this page on the bus, I had no idea what that kanji was, or what it had to do with “りん”! I also didn’t know りん is a pronunciation for 林.

Ok I’m going to catch up today I promise. I haven’t started volume 2 at all yet >.>

I got to finish finally! I loved this book, even if parts of the grammar were a bit hard–though, most questions I had seemed to be answered during discussions. Thank you for holding this book club, I’ve really felt more confident (heck even after the first few chapters).

I’ll definitely be joining for Chi’s Sweet Home.

5 Likes

Finally finished the last chapters and only a few days later than planned. cough :sweat_smile:

I really liked the manga (although it was still a bit difficult for me at times) and will probably take a look at the anime next! The next volumes will get on my wishlist for the next book order or maybe a trip to Japan.

Thanks to everyone for organizing and participating!

3 Likes

Hi all. I joined this book club last year but dropped out after a few weeks as I couldn’t keep up the pace, especially as the pages per week got longer. It was my first manga and I had very little knowledge of casual Japanese.

Since then I’ve learned a lot, especially from the next two mangas we read with ABBC.

Came back to this last month and really enjoyed reading it. Found it much easier now, although there were some trickier sections!

Thanks to everyone who contributed and to @FlamySerpent for organising the threads! I learned lots from all the questions and translations. It’s been a really funny book and actually lots of nice insights into Japanese culture. Loved the last chapter!

7 Likes

Just finished this manga and I enjoyed it a lot! Thanks everybody for the vocab list and especially the discussions (I am eternally grateful for discovering マツケンサンバ :pray:t2: :wink:).

2 Likes