しろくまカフェ ~ Shirokuma Café Anime Club 📺

Welcome to the しろくまカフェ Anime club

shirokuma-cafe-post-scaled980

:penguin: :panda_face: :bear: :llama: :koala: :wolf: :lion: :sloth: :otter: :turtle:

What is しろくまカフェ (Polar Bear’s Café)?

This show is about Polar Bear who runs a stylish cafe. Regulars to the cafe are Panda-kun, who works part-time at the local zoo, and Penguin-san. But, there are several other animals - and humans - that we’ll get to know throughout the show.

This is a very laid back show, full of quirky humor, puns, and it’s suitable for all ages. The listening difficulty is beginner level.

Official website: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/shirokumacafe/index2.html

Participants

Are you watching with us? :high_touch:

• I’m watching along
  • I’m behind the watch schedule
  • I’m dropping this show

0 voters

11 Likes

Watch Schedule

| Week | Start Date | Episodes |
| :- | :- | :- | :- |
| Week 1 | 11th October| Episode 1-3 |
| Week 2 | 18th October | Episode 4-6 |
| Week 3 | 25th October | Episode 7-9 |
| Week 4 | 1st November| Episode 10-12 |
| Week 5 | 8th November | Episode 13-15 |
| Week 6 | 15th November | Episode 16-18 |
| Week 7 | 22th November | Episode 19-21 |
| Week 8 | 29th November | Episode 22-24 |
| Week 9 | 6th December | Episode 25-27 |
| Week 10 | 13th December | Episode 28-30 |
| Week 11 | 20th December | Episode 31-33 |
| Week 12 | 27th December | Episode 34-36 |
| Week 13 | 3rd January| Episode 37-39 |
| Week 14 | 10th January | Episode 40-42 |
| Week 15 | 17th January | Episode 43-45 |
| Week 16 | 24th January | Episode 46-48 |
| Week 17 | 31th January | Episode 49-50 |

Vocab List

How to watch

Discussion Guidelines

• No spoilers please! Use spoiler tags texthere for major events in the current week’s episodes and spoiler tags for any content in future weeks episodes. They can be found under the cogwheel as “Blur Spoiler” and “Hide content”.
  • Please mention which episode you’re talking about as it helps during discussions.
  • There are no stupid questions! Ask away! Even if it seems minor, we’re all here to learn! :slight_smile:
  • To you lurkers out there: join the fun! :high_touch:
5 Likes

It’s not on Netflix? Or I just don’t know the keyword for searching it?

1 Like

Maybe under Polar Bear’s Cafe - the English title? I haven’t figured out the logistics yet for this club. And we won’t start immediately…in around a week from now might be a good time to start.

3 Likes

Probably not, or at least in my Netlix’s region. I’ll find another way to watch it with everyone.

I feel like BiliBili might have it. I think this Chinese company just acquired every anime right under the sun in South East Asia region lol. I think they just offer the deal to Japanese anime company like this “If you want to join the Chinese anime market you should give us the right to SEA as well. Take it or leave it.”

2 Likes

I found it on Crunchy roll, so that’s the main way to watch it…until I’ve found more. :slight_smile:

Also, tagging @patternfinder @soapy_soap @anon45962687 @Abstormal since you’ve expressed interest in this show! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I need listening practice, I like puns, and this looks adorable, so I’ll try and join you :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome! <3 I think this is a good starter show, as the grammar isn’t too complex. So, great for listening practice. :slight_smile:

Also, tagging @theghostofdenzo are you perhaps interested in watching the show? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please share ways to watch this show where you live: legal options only!

I’ll put the info in the OP posts to help others find the show. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what time zone is everyone watching in?

2 Likes

You have a week to get through 3 episodes.

After watching on your own, you can come here to the thread to talk about them and ask questions. So, people can watch whenever they have time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ekg which countries is it available in on crunchyroll? I was watching it on Amazon Prime before but it left last month. Since I’ve already started it before and it was easy-breezy, I think I’ll join :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m honestly not sure how you check that? :thinking: I was also hoping for some alternatives to Crunchyroll, but have been busy with other stuff. I’ll try to look around the web.

1 Like

There was a website to check where to watch an amine in input country here but I’ve lost the link

1 Like

I’ve found some more streaming sites, but I think it all boils down to Crunchyroll (hosting the content).

1 Like

I found some info about JustWatch - which I haven’t used myself - but apparently it’s not hosting content itself, but congregates other streaming services. You’ll be asked what country you’re in and that will change what content is available for you. Maybe give that site a try to find out whether Shirokuma Cafe is available in Japan? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s the site I was thinking of!

According to it, Shirokuma is available in…
the US
the UK
Australia
Ireland
South Africa
and probably more

1 Like
spoiler about some character differences between anime and manga

There’s some notable differences with the manga, mostly with penguins character. It’s not all bad, but the added penko storyline gets tiring.

It’s mostly good and wholesome, so that makes it a fine watch. Been a while since I last watched it. The pun-chains only work in Japanese, so if you like to follow along you might have to pause it a few times. If you don’t get those parts that’s totally fine, I would focus more on getting the normal dialogue right.

One thing to note is that crunchyroll does not have an option for Japanese subs. So either you have to deal with no subs or english subs (or any of the other supported languages). I’m not sure if you can use an extension with crunchyroll to get Japanese subs working on it like with netflix.

Anyway, have fun watching through polar bear café.

3 Likes
spoilers

Please no spoilers of any kind about the story or characters! Use spoiler tags! We haven’t even started this show yet. Please!

For any questions, read the Discussion guidelines. Show respect for those that haven’t watched or read this series yet!

Edit: thanks for fixing that. This is much better. :slight_smile:

As a general reminder to anyone wondering: this is an anime club, not a manga club. So, don’t bring up the manga during discussions as many may not have read the manga. And even as we’ll gradually get to watch the anime, reading the manga is a completely different experience - so don’t post spoilers about it.

If you want to discuss the manga, the general manga thread is a good place to use! ^^ Not to mention, the manga is being read by the Absolute beginner book club, so I also recommend joining the discussions there:

2 Likes

Wow, I should probably post this in the TIL thread, but I just put together shiro + kuma is white + bear = polar bear. :grin:

9 Likes