かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

I’d definitely be ok with a break to help myself get caught up after falling behind with my coursework over the past couple of weeks

2 Likes

I think the poll has pretty much stabilised. Most people seem fine with taking a break and we have two votes for a two-week break. I’m for giving as many people as possible a chance to catch up (not least the original creator of this book club) but if there are any big objections to that, post them now (I realise that we would be prolonging a schedule that is already quite long).

Once we’ve agreed on the length of the break, I can update the schedule in the OP.

6 Likes

You’ll need to get the mods to make the OP a wiki, unless @NickNickovich does first.

2 Likes

@Mods please make the OP a wiki.

4 Likes

The deed is done. It is now a wiki! Enjoy!

7 Likes

Thank you, @WaniConti!

It is done: the schedule has been updated. We will continue with week 7 on January 1st. I hope that this gives everyone the opportunity to catch up again. In the meantime this club does not have to be on hold: just join the discussions in the week 5 and week 6 threads (where we didn’t have much discussion yet) :smiley:

@NickNickovich, I hope you can catch up again. Just let me know (here in the thread) before Jan 1st whether or not you want me to take over creating the threads (no hurry).

4 Likes

Could we stick with the schedule you’ve updated but post the week 7 thread early? I’d rather spread the reading out over those few weeks so as not to lose too much momentum.

5 Likes

Feel free to create new threads, no problem with me :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you for your help!

4 Likes

@NickNickovich, no problem!

@jhol, I will be busy over Christmas, but I can probably create the next thread on the 27th or 28th, then it’s a bit more spread out.

3 Likes

Why not just create it now and let it sit up for three weeks? Or did you want to make it as if week 6 lasted for two weeks and week 7 lasted for two weeks?

(Since week 7 completes a chapter, I feel like putting it up now may be better for people to keep momentum.)

3 Likes

@wiersm Either of the options seanblue mentioned sound fine to me. Unless someone else has a preference I’m fine with whichever’s most convenient for you. Thanks again for volunteering to make the posts.

Edit: Didn’t see that 7 finishes a chapter. So putting it up sooner might actually be better if you have time. Otherwise no worries.

3 Likes

The problem that I see with creating the thread now is that, for me, the threads are a place to have a conversation as a group. If we create the thread now when not everyone has had a chance to catch up, people might feel stressed that they have to catch up as soon as possible out of fear that they would otherwise be missing out on the conversation (I know I would). I feel that there is a better discussion when everyone is about at the same point in the book at the same time, so that’s why I wanted to create the next thread on Jan 1st. After @jhol’s comment I thought next week was a reasonable compromise (and the argument that it is a bit strange to have a long break halfway through a chapter is a good point).

You say that you want to keep up momentum, but my thought was that you don’t need the thread to keep reading: if you’re a little ahead then that just means that you’re ready to jump into the conversation when the thread is created.

Having said that, I would also like to add that I feel uncomfortable about this situation that I have gotten myself into. I am a relative newcomer on these forums and you two (and many of the other participants in this book club) have been on these forums for much longer than I have. I don’t pretend to now be in charge of the threads. I only volunteered to help out. But I did create that poll about taking a break out of the blue and updated the schedule. Perhaps I overstepped my bounds and I am very sorry if I did.

So, what I’m trying to say is: please don’t take my comment as a refusal to create the thread. I’m just sharing my thoughts so that you can take them into consideration. If you still think that we should create the thread now, just say so and I will create it. It is not my intention to start a whole new discussion with this comment.

I’ve noticed that there has been little discussion in the threads lately. I hope I didn’t hijack the discussion with all this talk about breaks and threads. At the end of the day, I think we should be discussing the book, not the process.

6 Likes

I already finished the whole book anyway, so doesn’t matter to me.

1 Like

Not at all! Frankly I’m excited somebody else is taking the initiative. There’s nothing preventing anybody from doing the same except a willingness to put in a bit of extra work and I think you’re doing a great job of it.

I personally am most likely to respond right when I finish a week’s reading if I have the time and ability to do so, and I find I’m less likely to go back and post later on. That’s also why I typically try not to read ahead. So my suggestion to put up the thread early was also for the sake of facilitating discussion, but you bring up good reasons why others might not think the same way I do. Since you’re putting up the posts I defer to your judgement and really don’t take any issue either way as long as the threads go up.

Thanks again for doing this! And thanks for posting the ヨコハマ threads, too.

7 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! And thank you for organising all the interesting discussions in the 地球星人 thread!

3 Likes

Here’s the thread for week 7!

Remember, we’re posting the thread early, so don’t worry if you’re still catching up with the previous weeks. You still have until Jan. 8 to reach the end of the 七月 chapter.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

@NickNickovich, maybe you can update the link in the Week 6 thread? (I can’t do that yet this week, or it has to be turned into a wiki.)

2 Likes

Done! Thank you!

2 Likes

Does anyone remember how to pronounce 美織?
(真田美織) さなだみお?さなだみおり?さなだみしき?その他?

2 Likes

I’d have to check to confirm, but I’m 96.7% certain it’s みおり.

5 Likes