かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 27

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 27

Start date: May 28st, 2022

This week we are reading the first half of the 閉城 chapter
End page (bunko): 327 (at the :fleur_de_lis: mark)
End page (tanko): 527
End phrase: 本当に嬉しかった。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 26
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 28 (Final Week)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-06-05T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

How to feel like the person who missed the bus :joy:

8 Likes

No, no: you’re like the calm samurai with self control, surrounded by a sea of impatient plebians who got swept up by the story and couldn’t put it down (at least in my case: to the detriment if other tasks that needed doing).

6 Likes

Or just regular plebeians who’d rather get the book from the library than from the bookstore :stuck_out_tongue: (but then have to read it in a week or so)

Edit: oh, hey, I made notes about the first page of this week!

p 506 Subaru is from 1985??? How did he not notice that a PS 2 was way overtech? The PS 2 came out in 2000; PS 3 in 2006 (so こころ is one year away from it at the beginning) so it makes sense she would believe
… and that’s where the note ends. I guess I couldn’t be bothered finishing that thought. Forget my point about not being impatient.

7 Likes

And the PS1 in 1994. :upside_down_face: I guess he just assumed he’s missed a new console on the market or something? He didn’t seem like he had any experience or interest in gaming before coming to the castle, so I guess it’s a bit of a stretch but not impossible?

4 Likes

So he would think it went NES (which came out two years before his time) and then immediately PS2? :joy: That’s one heck of a technological jump.

3 Likes

If someone’s not knowledgeable about technology, why not? I’m sure the nes was pretty revolutionary already, so I can see someone uninvolved accepting that ‘wow, they’re making a lot of breakthroughs’ or ‘after they figured out how to do this, the rest was easier’ or something. It’s a stretch, but I can see it. :smiley:

4 Likes

I could have agreed if he had not cared at all… but he was always with playing withマサムネ. And never asked about anything at all… even though he is supposed to care about electronics in general? :sweat_smile:
I mean, that’s not the only stretch in the story, but it felt wild to me (that and the new year party where no one ever mentioned which year it was going to be)

6 Likes

This is my main complaint about this book, the seemingly absolute obliviousness the characters all share towards literally anything that happens outside the castle. What makes that even more painful, as someone living in Japan and working in a school, is that this actually just makes me go “ugh, Japan why” rather than “What?? That could never happen!” :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I’m right here with you!

I missed this week’s round of participation polls among all the thread moves.

I envy your access to a Japanese library.

6 Likes