かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 22

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 22

Start date: April 23rd, 2022

This week we are reading the second section of the 三月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 181 (:fleur_de_lis:)
End page (tanko): 421
End phrase: …証のように表面で蠢いていた。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 21
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 23

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-05-01T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

… Oh. I guess this is still not a week where I can comment.

Ah, but I think in this week or the previous one (someone who read already, please check) we get to see 東条. I thought it was nice the two of them got the chance to mend things up before the end. Also, there’s a surprising large number of things still not packed, considering how soon the 東条 family is leaving.

4 Likes
This week stuff

The part with 東条 was nice. She seems to be more mature than other girls her age. Sad that she got excluded after Kokoro.
That ending. The story is getting at the last line. It’s not clear why the glass broke but now she can’t help her friend unless the key is in the real world. I feel there is hints everywhere with the little red riding hood conversation but I’m not getting them. welp gonna see next week how it unfolds. I kinda guessed someone would stay after 5 at some point. Maybe she will need to cut open the wolf belly while he sleeps like in the book or something.

4 Likes
Summary

But オオカミ様 asked explicitly not to do that :scream:

3 Likes
Summary

Did she? I don’t remember that. Seems like a nice Chekov’s gun to me

2 Likes

I remember people talked about it in the threads, but I can’t remember when. I think it was around an early part? Possibly when she says she will eat anyone after 5pm?

3 Likes

It was from really early in the first book.

Book 1 text

Context:

食べられるっていうのは文字通りの意味で?

Response:

そりゃもう、頭から丸のみ

And then:

腹かっさばいて、かわりに石を詰めるとかやめろよ

5 Likes

Oh yeah I had trouble with that sentence once. Thx for the reminder

I tried to delete everything but discourse was like

2 Likes

Deleted mine too. Maybe next time we debate what’s a spoiler and what’s not we should chat on Discord. :joy:

2 Likes

so many erased messaged ha ha ha.

2 Likes

Well, stuff sure happened. :smile:

I wondered if Kokoro might have regrets now about not going back to school because she and Tojo could have been friends and supported each other. But then again, it would have only been temporary because Tojo has to move away again (and she wouldn’t have made all the friends at the castle).

The moment near the end this week was pretty good. First, the talk with Tojo means that Kokoro misses the second to last day in the castle and then it suddenly seems as if she will never be able to go there anymore. Some pretty good tension building :wink:

And a pretty good cliffhanger to end the week on :smiley:

6 Likes