おばちゃんたちのいるところ 👻 (Intermediate Book Club) ・ Week 1

Week 1 29 October 2022
Story 1 (until 一刻も静止しない)
End page 22
Page count 14
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

6 Likes

It’s been a long time since I’ve read Japanese regularly, but this first chapter is driving home how weak my 繰り返し言葉 is.

5 Likes

Fun so far!

Reading it sent me on a tangent researching attitudes towards body hair in Japan.

Other things I had to look up: ツタヤ (a chain of video rental shops), イトーヨーカドー (a chain of department stores) and of course 娘道成寺.

The dialect in the dialogue gave me some pause at first, but I think I’m getting used to it and not missing too much. There are many resources on Kansai-ben out there, but here are some main points I found relevant (from here):

• If a female, look for the use of uchi instead of atashi.
  • Replacement of desu or da with ya
  • Contraction of certain words, like chau instead of chigau.
  • The use of the -hen ending, instead of -nai or -arimasen, as in wakarahen versus wakaranai (lit. “don’t know”).
  • Using the word aho instead of baka (“idiot”; “silly”). The stereotype is that baka is a much more serious insult to a Kansai native

And ええ=いい

9 Likes

If I’m reading the digital version and I want to add words to the vocabulary sheet, what should I do about the page number? Can I just leave them blank? Most of my book clubs are for manga, where the digital versions still have page numbers.

4 Likes

So awesome of you to join us :grin:

I think it’d be best to leave it empty. If you enter words in the order they appear that would probably be clear enough :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had to look up some of おばちゃん’s non-standard Japanese as well. Hope this helps anyone :grin:

で ➝ よ (so: やで ➝ だよ)
ねん ➝ んだ
のん ➝ の
せえへん ➝ しない
ほんじゃ ➝ それでは
かて ➝ more or less でも, ~ても
もた ➝ more or less しまう

There were more, but I couldn’t be bothered to deep dive every single one of them :sweat_smile: Like @omk3 said, I think I’m getting the general gist of it and not missing too much.

Though when Main Character switched to Kansaiben as well I was like:

200-2

Anyway, I wonder if I’m on the right track in terms of what is going on so far. It’s kind of absurd, so one can never be sure :grin:

おばちゃん committed suicide and her own son found her? She was once someone’s affair partner and he even got her an apartment and a snack bar (false friend alert!) and supported her, but after 30 years he dumped her? And now she has come back to haunt Main Character and chastise her for having her hair removed, enjoying pink interior design and not being over her ex?

I wonder what the significance of that kabuki drama is :thinking: Wouldn’t make sense to mention it if there weren’t (or wouldn’t turn out to be) some significance…

5 Likes

You got the gist alright :grin:
The kabuki drama and its significance will be further explained in the second part. (sorry, I had to read ahead)

4 Likes

Alrighty, finished this section! The Kansai-ben is really throwing me for a loop; this really takes me back to when I first started reading, and the long strings of kana just made absolutely no sense to me. Thank you @omk3 and @Phryne for your notes here; they helped a lot, and I’m going to see if I can make flashcards using them as a base.

I also really appreciated your summary of the おばさん’s situation for that reason as well, Phryne. I was under the mistaken impression that おばさん’s husband was cheating on her, not that she was the partner, so the clarification really helps. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

For anyone who uses Bunpro, they have a basic Kansai-ben grammar/vocab deck that, checking it out, seems to cover the common stuff. Here’s a link, though I don’t know what you’ll see if you don’t have an account.

5 Likes

Oh my goodness! I remember them mentioning they might do something like that in future, but I never realised they’d actually finished it! How very exciting! :grin:

It’s not like I didn’t notice because I am scared of opening Bunpro in fear of how many reviews I might have waiting for me, no sir-ee!

5 Likes

Agreed. @omk3 and @Phryne, you are the MVPs! And thanks for summary, I missed a lot too. I was starting to latch onto what was going on towards the end. As an American, whenever I watch something British I know I’m just not going to understand anything for the first 20 minutes or so. It felt a lot like that.

5 Likes